Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Unofficial news:  Keri Russell is in early talks for a role, according to Variety.  https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-keri-russell-1202861343/

She worked with JJ on Felicity and M:I III.

Ghouls on Twitter surely moaning about another woman.

With casting maybe wrapping up and production beginning soon, I'd expect an official cast list from StarWars.com soonish.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:17 PM, mstrox said:

Ghouls on Twitter surely moaning about another woman.

For a film series in the action-adventure genre, the number of female characters is getting...let's just say surprisingly high.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

For a film series in the action-adventure genre, the number of female character is getting...let's just say surprisingly high.

You just have to be that guy, don't you.

39 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

For a film series in the action-adventure genre, the number of female character is getting...let's just say surprisingly high.

And none of them have kissed each other. 

Contemptible. 

1 hour ago, John said:

You just have to be that guy, don't you.

Who? the guy who doesn't think that a diverse cast = one proportional to the demographics of the general populace? Or the guy who thinks that the aforementioned is ludicrous? I can fit either description.

44 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Who? the guy who doesn't think that a diverse cast = one proportional to the demographics of the general populace? Or the guy who thinks that the aforementioned is ludicrous? I can fit either description.

Can you tell me about Revenge of the Sith's "James Bond opening"?

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Can you tell me about Revenge of the Sith's "James Bond opening"?

In Revenge of the Sith, Christopher Lee played a villain who was killed during a duel.

In The Man With The Golden Gun, Christopher Lee played a villain who was killed following a duel.

Thus, Revenge of the Sith's "James Bond Opening".  Duh. Didn't everyone get that the first time they saw Sith?

Put the pieces together people.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

In Revenge of the Sith, Christopher Lee played a villain who was killed during a duel.

In The Man With The Golden Gun, Christopher Lee played a villain who was killed following a duel.

Thus, Revenge of the Sith's "James Bond Opening".  Duh. Didn't everyone get that the first time they saw Sith?

?????????????

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I don’t follow rumors, but I had no doubt that BDW was coming at some point in the trilogy.

The character makes good sense as somebody who might join the resistance in response to Leia’s call for help in TLJ.  My big fear early on - before TFA - was that it was just going to be Han, Luke, Leia, and Lando all hanging out together like in the books. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I don’t follow rumors, but I had no doubt that BDW was coming at some point in the trilogy.

The character makes good sense as somebody who might join the resistance in response to Leia’s call for help in TLJ.  My big fear early on - before TFA - was that it was just going to be Han, Luke, Leia, and Lando all hanging out together like in the books. 

Agreed.  The post-ROTJ EU was like a never-ending SNL reunion sketch.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Agreed.  The post-ROTJ EU was like a never-ending SNL reunion sketch.

But still better than the trilogy we're getting.

16 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

But still better than the trilogy we're getting.

No, the sequel trilogy isn't perfect but it at least has likable new characters and takes actual risks with the handling of the OT characters (as opposed to the post-ROTJ EU which keeps Han, Luke, and Leia in boring fan-pleasing stasis and overpopulates itself with forgetable, unlikable characters.   In fact, I can't think of a single character that it's even marginally appealing.  Jagged Fel?  Mara Jade? Anakin Solo? Tenel Ka?! :lol:. Even Thrawn, the "poster child" for that era is fairly boring). 

The stuff you're talking about are written works, are they not? Well, if that's the case than there's no point comparing them to a visual work in the first place, for better or for worst.

But yeah, the sequel trilogy this far has been fine. I'm by no means enamored with it, but they're decent films.

I predict one of the final scenes of IX will feature Luke "reuniting" with Ghost Leia and becoming one with the Force (ie, his spirit dying). Kind of like the final scene in Hocus Pocus when Binx reunites with his sister and walks into the sunset.

Just imagine Williams scoring that! They could easily re-purpose unused footage of Carrie from TFA and TLJ to accomplish that.

I'm still convinced Luke will be a lead character in IX that haunts Kylo in Force Ghost form, but it'll be kept under wraps.

15 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I hope they will kill him, they did it with all the others human main characters!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Are you saying Rey, Finn, and Poe aren’t human?  They've been droids the whole time!

Nan... from the old crappy movies from out childhood I mean.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Are you saying Rey, Finn, and Poe aren’t human?  They've been droids the whole time!

That would explain the disturbing lack of romantic/sexual tension.

Nah.

That falls on the shoulders of the current screenwriting convention that :a strong female character ought not be defined by her relationship to a man."

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That falls on the shoulders of the current screenwriting convention that :a strong female character ought not be defined by her relationship to a man."

You make it seem as though that's a bad thing.