Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

“Star Wars: Episode IX” To Film In July?

Both an old casting call from February and a new casting notice posted this week indicate that Colin Trevorrow’s “Star Wars: Episode IX ” is slated to begin shooting in July of this year.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-episode-ix-to-film-in-july/

If true, JW could be writing the score for IX in less than a year. Episode IX is scheduled for release in May 2019 rather than December.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-episode-ix-to-film-in-july/

If true, JW could be writing the score for IX in less than a year. Episode IX is scheduled for release in May 2019 rather than December.

I don't actually think that a specific release month has been scheduled yet. 

Correct, and all signs indicate it will end up being slotted for December 2019 since Indiana Jones 5 AND Toy Story 4 AND Avengers 4 are coming out in Summer 2019 by Disney

Summer 2018 is similarly crowded with Disney tentpoles - beyond Han Solo, they have Avengers 3, Ant-Man 2, and Incredibles 2.  So that (or one of the others) could move to December 2018, especially since Avatar 2 is no longer releasing in December 2018.

Independence Day 2 flopped. I doubt the third installment will be more financially successful than its predecessor.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Have Luke find a hologram of her with a crucial message she left for him, use footage and audio of Fisher modified with CG and a voice actor (easier to hide under garbled, glitchy hologram effects). The last time he sees her, just like the first time. 

Brilliantly poetic, I love it!

I still think Leia will be killed offscreen between films and they'll open IX with a funeral. They probably felt it was right to seek permission to use her image in such a scenario, for photos.

If Luke and Leia didn't reunite in VIII, a 'reunion' in IX similar to the scene you described would be really powerful on-screen. Hamill and Williams would nail that.

I guess it'll depend on where 8 actually leaves her character. Could be more difficult to work around if they'd clearly set her up at the end to take on a very active role in 9, but if she's in some passive "damsely" situation like held captive or critically injured then an offscreen death would be easier to deal with for the filmmakers and the audience. Hopefully they haven't put themselves in an awkward corner that requires drastically retooling 8's ending.

They might also 'Mon Mothma' her role for IX and make it less significant, with her appearing as a hologram in mission briefings using outtakes from VII & VIII. That won't allow for any meaningful resolution to her story arc with Kylo or Luke though.

If Leia's killed off-screen, it only adds to Luke's guilt for his failed teachings. If his story in IX centered around avenging Han and Leia (and sacrificing himself in the process) that would mark an incredibly powerful ending to the Skywalker story and allow a natural 'passing of the torch' to the next generation of Jedi (Rey).

9 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

If that's the case, I predict this trilogy will become renowned for killing off a whole generation's group of beloved movie heroes.

Every major prequel character was killed off in the second trilogy, it's only fitting.

Episode IV: Obi-Wan

Episode VI: Darth Vader, The Emperor, Yoda

It's an essential layer in the overall narrative of Star Wars; a story about heroes and villains, redemption and sacrifice.

Not wrong about that.

Doubt anyone's gonna get choked up watching Poe Dameron sacrifice himself to save BB8's partner, DD9, in Episode X.

Personally, I don't think Rey, Finn, and Poe will ever take the place of Leia, Luke, and Han as an entire generation's next unlikely band of heroes. They show quality character development, but they feel too cookie-cutter to me. A scavenger, a runaway stormtrooper, and a pilot. They're just too generic.

They're classic! There aren't any other characters in cinema history that are more instantly recognized. They are the original "unlikely band of heroes". If anything, many modern movie characters are cookie-cutter copies of them.

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

Personally, I don't think Rey, Finn, and Poe will ever take the place of Leia, Luke, and Han as an entire generation's next unlikely band of heroes. They show quality character development, but they feel too cookie-cutter to me. A scavenger, a runaway stormtrooper, and a pilot. They're just too generic.

Shut up! Rey's special! You'll see!

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

They're classic! There aren't any other characters in cinema history that are more instantly recognized. They are the original "unlikely band of heroes". If anything, many modern movie characters are cookie-cutter copies of them.

How old were you again?

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Brilliantly poetic, I love it!

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

There aren't any other characters in cinema history that are more instantly recognized. They are the original "unlikely band of heroes". If anything, many modern movie characters are cookie-cutter copies of them.

Sure...

Wouldn't it be great if some of or heroes actually got to be happy?

We honestly never really got to see that.

I assume they must have been for a while between episodes 6 and 7.

But apparently that all fell apart somewhere along the line.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Happiness is overrated. Also, it's boring on film and TV. Very few great films have been made about happy, content, well asjusted people. 

Fargo might be the only one, and that had some miserable buggers too.

Well, this latest development is very interesting, if, I guess, not really unexpected. 

SPOILERS regarding how Lucasfilm planned the story to play out before Fisher's death (for example, whether or not she would die in TLJ) - note that Lucasfilm, as explained below, supposedly hasn't changed the TLJ story despite Fisher's passing, so this could be a very major spoiler

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/carrie-fisher-episode-viii-how-star-wars-will-handle-leias-future-960849

Spoiler

Her iconic Princess Leia is set to appear in the next two Star Wars films, and insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that at least two key scenes are planned for Episode VIII (Dec. 15) and Episode IX (2019): a Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), her son who killed Harrison Ford's Han Solo in 2015's The Force Awakens.

Details of where those scenes fit into the movies remain unclear, but insiders say Leia was to have been a bigger part of Episode IX than VIII. 

My take on this:

Spoiler

Clearly, before Fisher's passing, Lucasfilm did not plan for Leia to die in TLJ. Various reports I've seen elsewhere seemed to generally support that conclusion. 

However, obviously then Fisher passed away, and plans could, in theory, change. However...

Bob Iger said this:

"When we bought Lucasfilm, we were going to make three films — Episodes VII, VIII and IX," said Iger. "We had to deal with tragedy at the end of 2016. Carrie appears throughout VIII. We are not changing VIII to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is in VIII. In Rogue One, we had some digital character. We are not doing that with Carrie."

That seems to indicate that 

Spoiler

Leia will still not die in TLJ. Further, we now know she will appear in some form in Episode IX. So, I'd presume it's somewhat likely that Leia will be killed off-screen between the films, and the footage used in IX will be simply a little photo/video/hologram and not an active character role. It sounds to me, from the Hollywood Reporter report and other places, like Leia was already possibly going to have a small role in TLJ so perhaps it wouldn't be that "out of the way" to just give her an off-screen death. Alternatively, perhaps, equally, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to give her a small role at the Resistance base using the pre-existing footage. Still though, that would feel very, very strange, to have Leia there but not involved in Ren's or Luke's character arcs. I suppose they could also try to keep Leia alive but write her off -- perhaps she is injured and has to go into retirement on a faraway planet, but sends a hologram to Luke, Ren, or someone else, for example, telling them she is doing great or whatever and that they need to keep fighting for what's right or who knows what. I do wonder if even bringing in a new voice actor could be taboo to Lucasfilm, though, which would limit their options very, very much. 

This is really a very messy situation. I do have confidence, however, that with more than two years until Episode IX and filming yet to begin, Lucasfilm will be able to deliver satisfying closure regarding Leia, and bring the trilogy to an appropriate conclusion.

I guess ultimately this could be a chance for SW to mirror real life -- sometimes great people leave us too early, and we don't feel like everything ended "properly." That could just add some more poignant tragedy to a saga that is basically known for it. 

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I don't get this desire to know about every aspect of the boring lives of our "heroes" after the fictional work they were part of has ended. How disappointing, and disheartening, to hear JK Rowling go on and on about how Harry, Ron & Hermoine all went on to mundane jobs and lead mundane lives as government employees and shop owners.

I don't care, or want to know, why Han and Leia broke up. He probably didn't wipe his boots or hang his blaster up when he came in the front door.

Some things are better left alone. 

Yeah, there's definitely something to be said for letting the imagination fill in the gaps.

George Lucas said that was one of his regrets in selling Lucasfilm, that it would kind of take away the "fan stories" (possibly referring to the EU as well as other things - he never considered them true canon but he clearly kind of liked the idea that the fans could write their own versions of what happened next, not Lucasfilm). 

I feel the same way about the prequels and the Clone Wars...my imagination of what they were was a lot better than what we got.  

It's why I have mixed feeling about this Han Solo movie.  

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Happiness is overrated. Also, it's boring on film and TV. Very few great films have been made about happy, content, well asjusted people. 

Fargo might be the only one, and that had some miserable buggers too.

It doesn't need to be just happiness all the way with nothing else.

Just a bit to show that it does exist. Heroes need something worth fighting for, after all.

Only doom and gloom is a bit one-sided to me.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I don't get this desire to know about every aspect of the boring lives of our "heroes" after the fictional work they were part of has ended. How disappointing, and disheartening, to hear JK Rowling go on and on about how Harry, Ron & Hermoine all went on to mundane jobs and lead mundane lives as government employees and shop owners.

I don't care, or want to know, why Han and Leia broke up. He probably didn't wipe his boots or hang his blaster up when he came in the front door.

Some things are better left alone.

There is probably a fine balance to be found between "showing everything" and "showing nothing".

I'd be fine with only a little bit.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, but in this case, they didn't!

More like They lived miserably ever after...

That!

Obviously they don't have any inside info and are just speculating like us, but the folks at the Force.net forums seem to think that Lucasfilm may well use CGI and possibly another actor. They don't seem to be assuming like most of us that Leia will have only a tiny part in IX. 

I'd kind of doubted that either of those would happen -- but I guess if the family gave their full blessing, then they could, in theory, do it. 

Lucasfilm would look kind of untrustworthy, though, given this statement:

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-new-rumors

We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Well, yeah, but this is frickin' Star Wars. I'm sure the story group is/was absolutely agonizing over this. 

Well when Darlene Conley died in real life about ten years ago, the B&B writers just quietly wrote the Sally Spectra character out of the show and now everyone just refers to her sitting on a beach somewhere. Sometimes she even shows up with a shemp actress playing her from behind and some voice actress impersonating her.

So it can be done.