Jump to content

Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

That's a shame. The Rise of Skywalker is now the only sequel title without a 15/70mm IMAX print. At least it explains why J. J. Abrams has been silent on that front. During the filming of The Force Awakens, his pretty IMAX cameras was pretty much the only thing he had been talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Booked my midnight showing ticket (for £0 ;) ). Seeing with my mate that always goes to watch SW films with my at midnight. Such is tradition. No real expectations. Just hoping for some fun and good John Williams music. :)

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At 142 minutes, Attack of the Clones was a proper slog. I had pacing issues with The Last Jedi, but they didn't have to do with the film's runtime, outright.

 

Like I said, concluding the story takes time and so I'm fine with the running time on a conceputal level. But we won't know how well its used until we see the film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Probably because it has 2 climaxes so near each other.

 

That, and trying to maintain the intensity of the rebels being on the verge of annihilation throughout the entire runtime. Gets a bit tedius after a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We'll probably see it on Saturday morning opening weekend.  Won't buy tickets until the day before or day of.

 

I saw both TFA and TLJ at 9am showings on Saturday.  It's actually kind of a nice time to go to the movies.  Come out, grab lunch, and you have the rest of your day still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I know but she's pretty much just Bela Lugosi in Plan 9 style stock footage. So weird.

You are the only human being that's come up with a reasonably compelling comparison between Plan 9 from Outer Space and Star Wars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

You are the only human being that's come up with a reasonably compelling comparison between Plan 9 from Outer Space and Star Wars.

 

Unfortunately it seems to be lost to time, but back in 2001, someone made a funny Flash animation video parodying George Lucas acting like Ed Wood when the title "Attack of the Clones" was unveiled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

 

I saw both TFA and TLJ at 9am showings on Saturday.  It's actually kind of a nice time to go to the movies.  Come out, grab lunch, and you have the rest of your day still.

Always evening for me.  7:30, 6:30.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Remco said:

At least it means another gigantic JW score.

 

I'm way more optimistic about the film than the score.  TLJ did not have that great of a score compared to other SW films.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Demodex said:

 

I'm way more optimistic about the film than the score.  TLJ did not have that great of a score compared to other SW films.

 

It did have, in my opinion. And I hope that with this one, the film will allow JW to write more original thematic material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Demodex said:

 

I'm way more optimistic about the film than the score.  TLJ did not have that great of a score compared to other SW films.

The Last Jedi had a better than average score.  I’m always more optimistic about the film, but nothing is complete without good music.  A good Star Wars film wouldn’t be a good Star Wars film without John Williams music.  I hope there will be some good film, and some good music to complete the scenes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Remco said:

 

It did have, in my opinion. And I hope that with this one, the film will allow JW to write more original thematic material.

 

Oh yeah? I mean it's a decent, competently made score and it does build a little bit on TFA, but what big things did it bring to the table besides Canto Bight and The Spark? The only new theme was The Rebellion Is Reborn and that was nothing special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A. A. Ron said:

 

Oh yeah? What did it bring to the table besides Canto Bight and the Spark? It didn't introduce any great new themes.

 

Read my post again, new themes are my wish for TROS. But TLJ did bring 2 hours and 20 minutes of great symphonic music to the table!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Remco said:

 

Read my post again, new themes are my wish for TROS. But TLJ did bring 2 hours and 20 minutes of great symphonic music to the table!

 

Read Demodex post again. He didn't say it was a bad score. He said it doesn't hold up compared with other Star Wars scores. And sure it's a decent score. It's a damn sight better than most of what Hollywood puts out these days, but next to the other 7 Williams scores it completely pales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is as interesting, or even more so than at least AotC, RotS and perhaps even RotJ. Which is more than fine for me. All I’m saying it makes me excited for December 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The Saga Ends, The Story Continues" seems to suggest that it won't be a full end for the characters.  Maybe someone or something will remain undefeated.  Maybe the movie will end as if it is setting the scene for another film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

"The Saga Ends, The Story Continues" seems to suggest that it won't be a full end for the characters.  Maybe someone or something will remain undefeated.  Maybe the movie will end as if it is setting the scene for another film.

Nothing ever truly ends, does it? Not anymore. But since Disney has a few more Star Wars films in their pipeline, maybe it makes sense to leave loose a thread or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand that inspiration comes from many places, but Disney literally lifting straight from a PlayStation game here for a marquee Star Wars movie is pretty lame don't ya think.

 

S9niSNL.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ii2 said:

"The Saga Ends, The Story Continues" seems to suggest that it won't be a full end for the characters. 

 

The end of a story doesn't mean the end of all the characters. It means the end of all the story threads.

 

This series has a name for this: its called Return of the Jedi, the true end of the saga.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I understand that inspiration comes from many places, but Disney literally lifting straight from a PlayStation game here for a marquee Star Wars movie is pretty lame don't ya think.

 

Yeah, Uncharted fucking sucks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uncharted is great! Love all 4 games on the series (the first a little less than the other 3).

 

If they are using Drake as an inspiration for Poe, it'll be cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.