Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I think JJ was able to pull off a near impossible feat: to tie up a nine movie franchise, spanning five decades

Spoiler

- and at the same time-  “undoing” some of the damage done by Rian in TLJ to both story and character development.

I think few directors could have pulled it of as competently as JJ did.

I am surprised that people here on JWfan aren’t more happy about the film?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

There is nothing more polarising these days than Star Wars 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

TLJ, which will in 10 years from now be regarded as a classic

There is nothing more polarising these days than TLJ fans trying to cram it down everyone else’s throats. Will this never end?

13 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

There is nothing more polarising these days than TLJ fans trying to cram it down everyone else’s throats. Will this never end?

You're kidding, right? All across social media, whenever an article even glances at Star Wars, in comes a flux of haters without fail and with the same arguments. It's sickening.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

whenever an article even glances at Star Wars, in comes a flux of haters without fail and with the same arguments. It's sickening.

The same could be said for the film’s worshippers who then swoop in to the film’s defense. Now, I like liking films and seeing the good in movies, but this is getting more than a bit ridiculous.

I found The Last Jedi a step down from The Force Awakens, and - while it possessed great triumphs - on the whole it was an alltogether middling film; probably not for the same reasons it’s haters hate it, but still.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars: Episode XI - The Rise Of Skywalker

Or...what happens if you give JJ Abrams a shitload of money and tell him to make the biggest Star Wars movie ever.

Subtle as a brick, a 10 foot, purple of neon blue coloured brick. And makes everything he's directed before seem like indie film making.

But ultimately I can't say I wasnt hugely entertained by most of it. 

You truly are a visionary stefan! You are ahead of everyone by two episodes , so the Skywalker saga does not end with IX! Woohoo :P

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

You truly are a visionary stefan! You are ahead of everyone by two episodes , so the Skywalker saga does not end with IX! Woohoo :P

You know people who point out other people's grammar or spelling errors are generally speaking sad people who have no life right? 

Welcome to the @Jay @woj club Manuel.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You know people who point out other people's grammar or spelling errors are generally speaking sad people who have no life right? 

Welcome to the @Jay @woj club Manuel.

That hurts :(

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Lol I'd bet a thousand quid TLJ absolutely will not be regarded as a classic in ten years time. As if. 

It will be. Check its rotten tomatoes score.

TESB wasn't the masterpiece originally that it later became. 

20 minutes ago, crocodile said:

This one certainly won't.

Karol

Agreed. In a way its very much like the original trilogy. The third one being a bit of a cop out

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

So what are you guys making of all the mediocre reviews for this? Expected? Disheartened?

End of the day, this is all you're ever really gonna get with JJ. The world's most overrated filmmaker.

The mediocre reviews are understandable but I still enjoyed it.

With the reviews released it is at this moment the 2nd lowest rated movie of the franchise (after Phantom Menace). 

Mixed reviews but consensus seems to be it played too safe to try to please the fans that were enraged by TLJ. 

But on these polarized times I’d not be surprised if some online petitions will soon ask Disney to disregard the film and to hire Johnson to do a “true sequel” to TLJ...🙄

5 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I think it’s cruel for Disney to not inform Johnson that his trilogy isn’t going to happen. It’s pretty clear after all the retconning. 

it’s been obvious for awhile. I don’t know why they don’t just come out and confirm it.

Apparently there’ll be an update of some description in January. 

Does TROS even reference any of the events of TLJ, other than Snoke and Luke now being dead?

EDIT: Just realized what thread we're in, you can answer in the spoilers-allowed thread

3 hours ago, Balahkay said:

I think it’s cruel for Disney to not inform Johnson that his trilogy isn’t going to happen. It’s pretty clear after all the retconning. 

They’ve got TRoS/D+/Mandarinian launches going on; they don’t want to throw any cold water on it.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Does TROS even reference any of the events of TLJ, other than Snoke and Luke now being dead?

EDIT: Just realized what thread we're in, you can answer in the spoilers-allowed thread

Even you can't keep these straight!

Not really, my question wasn't a spoiler, but answers could be.  My edit wasn't for myself, it was for anyone who wanted to reply

Well TLJ is essential to understand the tension that started between Rey and Ben. But It should have been more... explicit?

But I think understand your question. Johnson had to do an « in-between » movie, with specific DOs and DON’Ts, but without knowing the whereabouts. It resulted as TLJ, a movie full of weaknesses.

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the show to start! It's 10:32 the showtime is 10:40, and there's only 14 other people here. It's opening night! Is this movie going to bomb? 

I'm very excited to see the context for this great score I've been listening to! 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm very excited to see the context for this great score I've been listening to! 

Please let us know if The Speeder Chase on the OST is a concert suite or not.

Gotta say: with how tiring it's been to hear so many people act bitter about this franchise at this point, I appreciate the more level headed discussions around here. There's still some more vocal folks, but that's to be expected at this point. It's legitimately interesting seeing what everyone has to say about TRoS and its predecessors.

I'm not sure as to when I'll get to watch this. Probably a bit after the hype has died down, as I think a lot of the discourse has put me off from SW in general. I liked TFA and didn't mind TLJ, so I probably won't mind this one particularly much. Still, I'm probably more excited to watch Knives Out this weekend, hopefully.

As someone who didn’t particularly like The Last Jedi when I first saw it, but came to appreciate it more on subsequent viewings, I absolutely loved Knives Out both times I’ve seen it.

But I saw this yesterday, and thought it was really weak, seemingly scripted poorly and possibly executed even worse, which is unusual for JJ. It felt like a long film which was hacked down in the editing room, and some scenes were laughably bad.

Current thoughts:

TFA - 8/10

TLJ - 7/10

TRoS - 5/10

I knew it would be problematic when we found out Chris Terrio was co-writer. If BvS was a sign, it was one that said 'STAY AWAY, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING!' The writing for that film was extraordinarily bad.

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I knew it would be problematic when we found out Chris Terrio was co-writer. If BvS was a sign, it was one that said 'STAY AWAY, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING!' The writing for that film was extraordinarily bad.

But the explosions and the stunts are all good, right?

TFA had the whole BRAND NEW STAR WARS IN AGES thing going for it, which made the first watch acceptable. But I could not finish watching it a second time. Dreadfully boring. 

TLJ was uneven, exciting, fun, with some tremendous sequences. It's also very rewatchable. 

TROS is TFA all over again, except that it closes a saga and thus is doubly disappointing. You could not imagine a more listless and limp way to end a 9-movie saga. The PT at the very least served some form of (self-fulfiling) purpose, but how this newest trilogy ends makes the last three movies pointless. It is the most charmless and witless of all SW movies, and that includes the PT movies. 

Yes, with TFA i felt they were using familiar elements and old characters to kinda pass the torch to a new generation of Star Wars.

Doing the same with TROS, the final film of the saga is pointless.

JJ has no vision. 

4 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Might this lead to a greater and wider appreciation for TLJ in the longer term?

It will. 

TESB wasn't an instant classic even though it now it. The same will apply to TLJ. 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, Thor said:

It definitely feels like a satisfying conclusion to the saga. If I have one minor criticism, it's that it caters a BIT too much to fan service, which often results in too convoluted or too rushed elements.

I haven't seen the film yet, but everyone who has seen it mentions these two points. Seems like the big plus and the big minus of the film.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, Jay said:

I have to be honest, I really love these simple soundtrack covers.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Might this lead to a greater and wider appreciation for TLJ in the longer term?

I think a lot of the reactions to TLJ were knee-jerk in just how quickly they dismissed the film. I don't know how many times now I've heard from people I know and online of how they came around to the film after another viewing in the year or so since. I think this film, and perhaps the trilogy, will have a better appreciation from fans in the years to come.