Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner

Josh500

Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which composer do you admire more?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  2. 2. Do you own more JG or JH CDs? And how many of each, approximately?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  3. 3. Generally, which composer scored the better movies (movies that you personally enjoy watching)?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner

Jerry Goldsmith and Jerry Goldsmith. Horner was great but Jerry was something else.

I don't own a single Williams, Goldsmith or Horner CD, so the last question is moot for me.

Wow! You must be the only soundtrack fan in existence with zero physical CD's. I don't want to congratulate you on that. :(

One's film score fandom is not measured in material assets.

Why the sadface?

Jerry Goldsmith and Jerry Goldsmith. Horner was great but Jerry was something else.

I don't own a single Williams, Goldsmith or Horner CD, so the last question is moot for me.

Wow! You must be the only soundtrack fan in existence with zero physical CD's. I don't want to congratulate you on that. :(

Why the sadface?

Because you miss out on the awesome booklets, the pristine presentation, the colourful disc covers, the in depth liner notes. And the enjoyment of holding something from your idols in your hands.

Well I'm like that. Guess you are not. So no sad face... Mr. Happy Face. :)

Why the sadface?

Because you're a disgrace to film score fans. It's depressing to think that when you die, there will be no treasure trove of CDs to pile around your earthly remains. Imagine if Howard Carter looked into Tut's tomb and said, "No, I don't see anything." You're robbing future generations of wondrous discovery.

Why the sadface?

Because you miss out on the awesome booklets, the pristine presentation, the colourful disc covers, the in depth liner notes. And the enjoyment of holding something from your idols in your hands.

Well I'm like that. Guess you are not. So no sad face... Mr. Happy Face. :)

Yeah, I'm just not a collector by nature. It's all about the music for me. :)

I am curious to see Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies score. I suspect it may turn out to one of his best works. Speilberg has that effect on people.

Only with Quincy Jones, Billy Goldenberg and John Williams!

I wasn't referring to just composers but Quincy Jones Color Purple score is one of my faves.

I'll never understand the love for Goldsmith. He's an excellent composer no doubt, but I rarely have the desire to listen to his music. Rudy is the only one I listen to with any regularity. For listening outside the film, he would be far below Horner and Williams, and also other composers like JNH, Poledouris, Zimmer, Silvestri, Barry, Arnold, etc.

Indeed. I'll never understand why people say they'll never understand what other people feel or think.

I'll never understand the love for Goldsmith. He's an excellent composer no doubt, but I rarely have the desire to listen to his music.

It's easy to understand, and you have all the elements in place right here to do so. Some people do have the desire to listen to the music of an excellent composer. Simple.

For listening outside the film, he would be far below Horner and Williams, and also other composers like JNH, Poledouris, Zimmer, Silvestri, Barry, Arnold, etc.

Why? Just because you feel that way?

I'll never understand the love for Goldsmith. He's an excellent composer no doubt, but I rarely have the desire to listen to his music. Rudy is the only one I listen to with any regularity. For listening outside the film, he would be far below Horner and Williams, and also other composers like JNH, Poledouris, Zimmer, Silvestri, Barry, Arnold, etc.

I could listen to the original Poltergeist any time.

I've known vegans who can hardly stand the sight of meat, much less fathom the desire to actually eat it. I, in return, cannot fathom their palette. I guess it wouldn't do to call them crazy outright; it's just a matter of personal tastes and an approach to eating.

I can likewise see where someone on a steady diet of Horner can't really wrap their minds around other styles of music, and to such ears Goldsmith might indeed often sound harsh and eclectic (save the scores where he sounds the most like Horner, such as Rudy). I'll never understand it myself, but to each his own.

That is because you are awesome. (Y)

I can likewise see where someone on a steady diet of Horner can't really wrap their minds around other styles of music, and to such ears Goldsmith might indeed often sound harsh and eclectic (save the scores where he sounds the most like Horner, such as Rudy). I'll never understand it myself, but to each his own.

I even have heard of the strange notion that there might be vast riches of music beyond the valley of commercial Hollywood movies. It might only be a rumour, though...

I've known vegans who can hardly stand the sight of meat, much less fathom the desire to actually eat it. I, in return, cannot fathom their palette. I guess it wouldn't do to call them crazy outright; it's just a matter of personal tastes and an approach to eating.

That is because you are awesome. (Y)

It's the only score I can think of, maybe there are others, that actually makes me a little scared while listening to it in the dark. At certain sections I can hear that little woman's voice telling me to close my mind and not to give it any help for IT knows what scares me.

Poltergeist is amazing and one of Jerry's masterpieces along with Star Trek TMP, Alien, Twilight Zone The Movie, Basic Instinct and Total Recall

I even have heard of the strange notion that there might be vast riches of music beyond the valley of commercial Hollywood movies. It might only be a rumour, though...

Nah. Urban legend. Don't believe everything you hear.

Ah yes, some very predictable chastising ensues once somebody goes against the grain. :/

Indeed. I'll never understand why people say they'll never understand what other people feel or think.

I'll never understand the love for Goldsmith. He's an excellent composer no doubt, but I rarely have the desire to listen to his music.

It's easy to understand, and you have all the elements in place right here to do so. Some people do have the desire to listen to the music of an excellent composer. Simple.

For listening outside the film, he would be far below Horner and Williams, and also other composers like JNH, Poledouris, Zimmer, Silvestri, Barry, Arnold, etc.

Just my opinion. Maybe the last sentence didn't make that clear enough. Yes, Goldsmith is an excellent composer, but so are the other composers I listed. And IMO, their music tends to be more interesting outside of the film.

Rudy is the only one I listen to with any regularity.

What a tragic admission...

Not tragic at all.

I do have a steady diet of Horner, that's true. But the point you're trying to make is a cop out. Goldsmith doesn't leave me cold because I listen to lots of Horner. I already made the point that I listen to most other film composers before Goldsmith. This includes a wide variety of styles. I also listen to a lot of non-film music, a lot of classical music.

Predictable snarky elitism. I listen to a lot of classical and other genres. All types of classical, too - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary, etc.

Ah yes, some very predictable chastising ensues once somebody goes against the grain. :/

Just my opinion. Maybe the last sentence didn't make that clear enough. Yes, Goldsmith is an excellent composer, but so are the other composers I listed. And IMO, their music tends to be more interesting outside of the film.

Not tragic at all.

I do have a steady diet of Horner, that's true. But the point you're trying to make is a cop out. Goldsmith doesn't leave me cold because I listen to lots of Horner. I already made the point that I listen to most other film composers before Goldsmith. This includes a wide variety of styles. I also listen to a lot of non-film music, a lot of classical music.

Predictable snarky elitism. I listen to a lot of classical and other genres. All types of classical, too - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary, etc.

I wish to hear five composers from each of those periods that you are a fan of, and two works from each that most tickle your fancy.

Well it's easy to throw around terminology that could be picked up from skimming a Wikipedia article. Just want some verification of eclectic interest.

There is no comparison.

I probably have more Goldsmith CDs than even exist for Horner.

I am curious to see Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies score. I suspect it may turn out to one of his best works. Speilberg has that effect on people.

Only with Quincy Jones, Billy Goldenberg and John Williams!

And Goldsmith, of course.

Well it's easy to throw around terminology that could be picked up from skimming a Wikipedia article. Just want some verification of eclectic interest.

It's just as easy to find five composers of each of those periods on Wiki. ;)

I don't understand why this is an issue. Both Horner and Goldsmith were great film composers. I probably like Goldsmith's work a little more but that's not a knock on how great Horner was.

You'd rather listen to DAVID ARNOLD than Jerry Goldsmith?

I'm praying for you.

I don't understand why this is an issue. Both Horner and Goldsmith were great film composers. I probably like Goldsmith's work a little more but that's not a knock on how great Horner was.

Exactly! Like I said, polls only create strife where there need not be any.

Jerry Goldsmith is a better craftsman but Horner's work has always had a greater emotional effect on me. So I've gotta go with Horner.

This is off the top of my head, so somebody might show an example that disproves this, but I think Horner's scores were probably more romantic in nature. When I think of the Willow score it's easy to get swept up in the romance of it. Legends of the Fall and even Zorro come to mind. Or even still his score for Troy. There is a romance to Horner's work that I absolutely adore.

Exactly! Like I said, polls only create strife where there need not be any.

it must be a guy thing. I loved them both. I was very sad when Horner died a couple weeks ago.

Not tragic at all.

I wish to hear five composers from each of those periods that you are a fan of, and two works from each that most tickle your fancy.

Classical and Romantic are too easy, but I'll give you the first and the last. Capiche?

Monteverdi - Great early operas - Orfeo and Coronation of Poppea. Some beautiful choral work as well.

Purcell - Good stuff, Dido and Aeneas, Abdelazer which is used in Britten's Young Person's Guide to Orchestra

Vivaldi - Hundreds of beautiful concertos. Four Seasons yes, love the oboe concertos, I'll give you Oboe Concerto in D Minor RV454

Handel - Lots of beautiful oratorios and operas. Messiah, My favorite aria is Lascia ch'io pianga - have you seen Farinelli?

Bach - Too many to list, bro. But I play through WTC I and II, and the inventions, and the French and English suites. Wachet auf for a great cantata. Art of the Fugue, the Passions are incredible. And don't forget Mass in B Minor. Air on a G String and Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for popular pieces. Pretty much everything the man wrote is gold.

Saariaho - is incredible. Check out Petals for cello and electronics, and L'Aile du songe for a beautiful flute concerto.

Adams - solid stuff. Short Ride in a Fast Machine is a popular one, I like Harmonielehre and Harmonium. Very digestible.

Ligeti - Love micropolyphony. Atmospheres and Lontano for this guy.

Penderecki - Again, I'm a sound mass/textural guy. All his music in The Shining is awesome. That includes Threnody, Polymorphia, De Natura Sonoris, etc.

Debussy - One of my favorite composers. Least contemporary composer here but set the stage for most that came after him. Some consider Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun to be the first modern piece. Nocturnes for orchestra is beautiful. I enjoy his keyboard works the best - Suite Bergamasque, Preludes I and II, Reverie, etc. La mer and Jeux have fantastic orchestrations. Just checking out his opera Pelleas et Melisande lately, stunning work, sets the stage for Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle 10 years later.

Psst, HornerIsTheMan, just say you love O'Donnell, Soule and Wintory, and you'll be fine.

You're an idiot, read my post above.

Capiche?

Actually, it's capisci.

Lol, is that all you're going to say?

Capiche?

Actually, it's capisci.

Why would I say anything else? And I certainly don't feel compelled to after you called BB an idiot. Rather crass. Also you said "bro" which combined with your (incorrect) use of "capiche" makes me want to terminate our interactions.

Capiche?

Actually, it's capisci.

Why would I say anything else? And I certainly don't feel compelled to after you called BB an idiot. Rather crass.

Well actually, as opposed to what you were saying before, I'll take your silence as an improvement.

And I suppose you don't find anything wrong with the ignorant insult that BB directed towards me previously, eh? Figures.

Psst, HornerIsTheMan, just say you love O'Donnell, Soule and Wintory, and you'll be fine.

I do believe this poster was trying to imply that I'm a flake who spends his time listening to generic video game composers (and thinks they're "totally rad, dude!"). However, if I somehow misinterpreted this post, I apologize.

I do believe this poster was trying to imply that I'm a flake who spends him time listening to generic video game composers (I don't listen to any of the three). However, if I somehow misinterpreted this post, I apologize.

I believe that you actually did misinterpret it by missing the relevance to some other current forum discussion, and in naming them generic video game composers that only a "flake" would listen to have managed to further insult several of us here.

Also you said "bro" which combined with your (incorrect) use of "capiche" makes me want to terminate our interactions.

Fair enough, if you are that small, petty, and elitist, on a message board no less, then you are doing me a favor.

I do believe this poster was trying to imply that I'm a flake who spends him time listening to generic video game composers (I don't listen to any of the three). However, if I somehow misinterpreted this post, I apologize.

I believe that you actually did misinterpret it by missing the relevance to some other current forum discussion, and in naming them generic video game composers that only a "flake" would listen to have managed to further insult several of us here.

Ah ha! But I said that's what he seemed to be trying to imply, not what I actually think. In fact, I am familiar with little music by the first two, and none by the third.

Actually, I'm not small, petty, or elitist, I just have very unreadable sarcasm, apparently, which seems doomed to always bait new members, unfamiliar with the usual discourse, into self-righteous defense/lashing out mode.