Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner

Josh500

Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which composer do you admire more?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  2. 2. Do you own more JG or JH CDs? And how many of each, approximately?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  3. 3. Generally, which composer scored the better movies (movies that you personally enjoy watching)?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner

Actually, I'm not small, petty, or elitist, I just have very unreadable sarcasm, apparently, which seems doomed to always bait new members, unfamiliar with the usual discourse, into self-righteous defense/lashing out mode.

Well to be fair, my self-righteous defense was in response to your self-righteous sarcasm. :pfft:

At any rate, fair enough! The duel is over! :P

Planet of the Apes? At least one Star Trek? The Sand Pebbles?

Planet of the Apes, yes. Possibly The Sand Pebbles too.

No Trek films qualify as great, and The Motion Picture is a stillborn mess.

There's no such thing as sexism towards males. Only by males towards females.

Eh, I sort of get what you're saying but you have to admit that women have almost always received the shit end of the stick.

I am curious to see Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies score.

Me too. Although I'm still bummed that Thomas Newman out of all composers got the job.

I wasn't very impressed with Skyfall.

Jerry Goldsmith is a better craftsman but Horner's work has always had a greater emotional effect on me. So I've gotta go with Horner.

This is off the top of my head, so somebody might show an example that disproves this, but I think Horner's scores were probably more romantic in nature. When I think of the Willow score it's easy to get swept up in the romance of it. Legends of the Fall and even Zorro come to mind. Or even still his score for Troy. There is a romance to Horner's work that I absolutely adore.

Yes, but that's probably got to do with the fact that he scored more romantic movies...

You wouldn't expect a sweeping, romantic score for Rambo, Poltergeist, Total Recall, or Omen.

3. Horner

Except Alien, no great film scored by (great) Jerry.

Chinatown

Seconds

Patton

Total Recall

Basic Instinct

Poltergeist

Rambo

Guilty pleasure, maybe, but I love these movies.

I am curious to see Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies score.

Me too. Although I'm still bummed that Thomas Newman out of all composers got the job.

I wasn't very impressed with Skyfall.

Skyfall is not your typical Newman score.

Try this:

Could be, but that doesn't change the fact that this was a disappointing score.

But who knows, maybe Spielberg will bring out the best from Newman.

The movie was good, but the score...

Couldn't help feeling that David Arnold would have done a much better job. But again, hopefully Newman will do better for Spielberg and Bridge.

Could be, but that doesn't change the fact that this was a disappointing score.

But who knows, maybe Spielberg will bring out the best from Newman.

I really do feel like Speilberg has a special talent for getting the best work out of those he works with. I do think this will be one of Newman's best scores. Time will tell i guess.

Jerry Goldsmith is a better craftsman but Horner's work has always had a greater emotional effect on me. So I've gotta go with Horner.

This is off the top of my head, so somebody might show an example that disproves this, but I think Horner's scores were probably more romantic in nature. When I think of the Willow score it's easy to get swept up in the romance of it. Legends of the Fall and even Zorro come to mind. Or even still his score for Troy. There is a romance to Horner's work that I absolutely adore.

Yes, but that's probably got to do with the fact that he scored more romantic movies...

You wouldn't expect a sweeping, romantic score for Rambo, Poltergeist, Total Recall, or Omen.

I do agree Goldsmith wrote beautiful and romantic pieces as pointed out by Pilgrim with star trek reference. I just meant that romance seemed to be in Horner's blood. I got the sense that it was a part of him. It was the reason he scored movies. I don't know that. It's just the impression I got.

Goldsmith could be achingly romantic. But it's expressed differently in his music.

Goldsmith love themes were usually smaller, more humble in nature. Like that warm cosy feeling of being in love and keeping it to yourself for now, rather then shouting it out to the world for all to hear.

Goldsmith could be achingly romantic. But it's expressed differently in his music.

This is slightly off topic and maybe a bit too girly for the room...but when I think achingly romantic one thing that comes to mind is Once Upon A December from the animated movie Anastasia. Both the lyrical and orchestrated version.