Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner

Josh500

Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which composer do you admire more?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  2. 2. Do you own more JG or JH CDs? And how many of each, approximately?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  3. 3. Generally, which composer scored the better movies (movies that you personally enjoy watching)?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner

Goldsmith could be achingly romantic. But it's expressed differently in his music.

This is slightly off topic and maybe a bit too girly for the room...but when I think achingly romantic one thing that comes to mind is Once Upon A December from the animated movie Anastasia. Both the lyrical and orchestrated version.

The greatest Disney movie of all time...except not made by Disney. It cost me a trivia night victory once.

The movie was good, but the score...

Couldn't help feeling that David Arnold would have done a much better job. But again, hopefully Newman will do better for Spielberg and Bridge.

As Steef said, why do you think Bridge Of Spies will be anything like Skyfall? Newman has been composing for decades, so why latch on to one score?

Hopefully Williams' The BFG will be better than John Goldfarb, Please Come Home...

The movie was good, but the score...

Couldn't help feeling that David Arnold would have done a much better job. But again, hopefully Newman will do better for Spielberg and Bridge.

As Steef said, why do you think Bridge Of Spies will be anything like Skyfall? Newman has been composing for decades, so why latch on to one score?

Hopefully Williams' The BFG will be better than John Goldfarb, Please Come Home...

Didn't Speilberg allude to wanting to work with Newman because he had been so impressed by Skyfall? I thought I read that somewhere. Also I believe Spielberg wrote lyrics to a bondlike opening title sequence for Bridge of Spies which will be performed by an english artist whose name escapes me. This of course doesn't mean Bridge of Spies will sound like Skyfall but it does give credence to the implication.

As someone who subscribes to the Church of the Holy-Js Trinity (Jerry, John, and James) I have to give the edge to Jerry on the first two questions, and James on the last.

I am curious to see Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies score.

Me too. Although I'm still bummed that Thomas Newman out of all composers got the job.

I wasn't very impressed with Skyfall.

Skyfall is not your typical Newman score.

Try this:

Skyfall isn't typical Newman but The Good German is? :P

It's a good pastiche score but a little self-conscious. It's arguably the one redeeming quality of Sodamnboring's failed experiment

As someone who subscribes to the Church of the Holy-Js Trinity (Jerry, John, and James) I have to give the edge to Jerry on the first two questions, and James on the last.

What's the subscription fee for that?

Also I believe Spielberg wrote lyrics to a bondlike opening title sequence for Bridge of Spies which will be performed by an english artist whose name escapes me.

Really? This gives me hope for the movie which until now I presumed to be a somewhat dull affair.

What ever happened to the Church of our Dear Lord and Saviour John Williams, that was being run here for a while?

Predictable snarky elitism. I listen to a lot of classical and other genres. All types of classical, too - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary, etc.

It's not predictable, it's unavoidable.

Film music messageboards have a long history of posters that claim to listen to a wide range of music of all genres but after all, they only like Horner scores and RUDY. They're all nincompoops.

If that is what we must do in service of our Lord, then so be it! We shall sing the holy Towner tunes in the heavens!

Goldsmith love themes were usually smaller, more humble in nature. Like that warm cosy feeling of being in love and keeping it to yourself for now, rather then shouting it out to the world for all to hear.

:lol:

Theme from Basic Instinct. Could that be categorized as a love theme of sorts?

Didn't Speilberg allude to wanting to work with Newman because he had been so impressed by Skyfall? I thought I read that somewhere. Also I believe Spielberg wrote lyrics to a bondlike opening title sequence for Bridge of Spies which will be performed by an english artist whose name escapes me. This of course doesn't mean Bridge of Spies will sound like Skyfall but it does give credence to the implication.

Really? That's news to me. I always thought Bridge was to be a spy thriller/drama a la Munich...

By the way, who is the artist? Try to remember. :)

Goldsmith love themes were usually smaller, more humble in nature. Like that warm cosy feeling of being in love and keeping it to yourself for now, rather then shouting it out to the world for all to hear.

:lol:

Theme from Basic Instinct. Could that be categorized as a love theme of sorts?

Really? That's news to me. I always thought Bridge was to be a spy thriller/drama a la Munich...

By the way, who is the artist? Try to remember. :)

I've spent the past hour searching for where I saw that. I can't find it anywhere. I am very sure I didn't dream it up but now I'm second guessing myself.

Sssshhh...i smell a death thread...'5 scientifically sound reasons reasons why John Williams is a better composer than anyone else (including and especially singling out Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner)'.

I know we take the piss out of Josh500 for being the bloke who wants a career at Gallop, but shit-a-brick he knows how to provoke a discussion.

You got that right! :lol:

I've spent the past hour searching for where I saw that. I can't find it anywhere. I am very sure I didn't dream it up but now I'm second guessing myself.

Anybody else hear or read this somewhere?

I haven't read any comments from Spielberg about Newman.

You will, in the Bridge Of Spies OST booklet, which will begin with something like this: "'Why didn't I work with him earlier?' I asked myself that question as I realized how much of a gifted man Thomas is. The score he wrote for Bridge Of Spies is more than I could have hoped from any other composer. He truly is the most talented individual I ever had the chance to meet."

Went out today and bought myself 2 JG soundtracks (used but almost mint, for like 5 bucks each): Congo and Gremlins 2. If I like what I hear, I might get the expanded releases.

Also saw Horner's Legend of the Falls at the store, which I didn't buy. Is that a must-have?

I said that I will blind buy any new scores he comes out with. I never said that I've decided to spend my hard earned money on collecting the OSTs to all 150 films he scored, many of which are now OOP and expensive.

Went out today and bought myself 2 JG soundtracks (used but almost mint, for like 5 bucks each): Congo and Gremlins 2. If I like what I hear, I might get the expanded releases.

Also saw Horner's Legend of the Falls at the store, which I didn't buy. Is that a must-have?

As must-have as they come. Return to the store, and get it before someone else buys that copy, or you will regret it for the rest of your life. Understood? ;)

I've never heard it..... but I'm going to listen to it today!

Tell me after which track it will enter your Horner top 5.

I've never heard it..... but I'm going to listen to it today!

You haven't fucking heard the bloody most Hornerish score ever to come out of the Hornershop? You are unworthy...

Legends of the Fall? It's alright, but I find it bit too twee, even by Horner's standards. It's a doddle to play on the piano though, which is always nice.

It's the compendium of Horneristics - it's all in there, COCOON, BRAVEHEART, PATRIOT GAMES, GLORY. It's mushy and the movie is a crime against humanity but some things transcend such nagging by sheer force of saccharine.

The main theme is maybe Horner's best big tune.

I'd probably go for Cocoon, as his big fully developed themes go. Mainly because my man heart crumbles at the sound of dat achingly gentle clarinet part before the big romantic sweep kicks in. It's gush worthy.