Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner

Josh500

Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which composer do you admire more?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  2. 2. Do you own more JG or JH CDs? And how many of each, approximately?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  3. 3. Generally, which composer scored the better movies (movies that you personally enjoy watching)?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner

It's the compendium of Horneristics - it's all in there, COCOON, BRAVEHEART, PATRIOT GAMES, GLORY. It's mushy and the movie is a crime against humanity but some things transcend such nagging by sheer force of saccharine.

The main theme is maybe Horner's best big tune.

Jeez ! I'm amazed at your cynicism and negativity towards such a moving and gorgeous epic. Mr. Sunshine you ain't. :lol:

Went out today and bought myself 2 JG soundtracks (used but almost mint, for like 5 bucks each): Congo and Gremlins 2. If I like what I hear, I might get the expanded releases.

Also saw Horner's Legend of the Falls at the store, which I didn't buy. Is that a must-have?

As must-have as they come. Return to the store, and get it before someone else buys that copy, or you will regret it for the rest of your life. Understood? ;)

I might actually do that. In fact, I definitely will.

They also had Michael Kamen's Die Hard 2, not to mention Horner's Casper and First Knight, although the latter was like 15 bucks, used but in good condition.

Any thoughts on these scores?

Get the Varese DE of DH2 and the LLL First Knight, not the OSTs

Are these still in print?

DH2 and DH Vengeance were only 5 bucks each, so I might get these anyway.

The original Die Hard 3 OST is one of the worst assembled soundtrack releases of all time! It features only a very small amount of score you can actually hear in the film, and instead is mostly filled up with classical pieces, rap and rock songs, and some early-recorded score cues from before they had figured out what they were doing with the film. The biggest driving force in the score Kamen's integration of the "Johnny Comes Marching Home" melody, which isn't on that OST at all!

Instead, I emplore you to buy La-La Land's 2 CD complete version. It's great!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/DHWAV.html

Just listen to the samples there!

Varese's DH2 DE is out of print

LLL's First Knight is not

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/FirstKnight.html

The original Die Hard 3 OST is one of the worst assembled soundtrack releases of all time! It features only a very small amount of score you can actually hear in the film, and instead is mostly filled up with classical pieces, rap and rock songs, and some early-recorded score cues from before they had figured out what they were doing with the film. The biggest driving force in the score Kamen's integration of the "Johnny Comes Marching Home" melody, which isn't on that OST at all!

Yes those samples may tide someone over to buy this superb release, but why isn't there a sample of the riveting and stunning 'Taxi Chase'... C'mon if there ever was a track that provides an eargasm... it's a cue that sells CD's. ;)

Varese's DH2 DE is out of print

LLL's First Knight is not

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/FirstKnight.html

I didn't get DH, neither one, but I bought First Knight for 3 bucks. Good deal. If I love what I hear, I'll get the LLL release.

And today I saw Horner's An American Tail, Willow, and JG's Medicine Man and Rambo 1, 2, and 3.

Ahhhrgg! I want them all!!!

I didn't get DH, neither one, but I bought First Knight for 3 bucks. Good deal. If I love what I hear, I'll get the LLL release.

And today I saw Horner's An American Tail, Willow, and JG's Medicine Man and Rambo 1, 2, and 3.

FIRST KNIGHT is a travesty in its original release but that has been discussed to death here and elsewhere.

Get the Horner's and MEDICINE MAN. Only buy the newest edition of FIRST BLOOD...the old one has a pitiful muffled sound.

Or skip First Blood and get Rambo 2 and 3 (which is all the Rambo music you need).

Never got why the first one is praised so highly... it's mostly uninteresting suspense filler stuff and a few good theme statements.