Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner

Josh500

Jerry Goldsmith vs. James Horner  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which composer do you admire more?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  2. 2. Do you own more JG or JH CDs? And how many of each, approximately?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner
  3. 3. Generally, which composer scored the better movies (movies that you personally enjoy watching)?

• Jerry Goldsmith
    • James Horner

Goldsmith might have scored more lousy films than Horner, but Horner didn't really score any film of the caliber of Patton, Chinatown, Papillon or Alien

We had a little fan sit-in recently in Berlin and was surprised to find that movies like APOLLO 13, PERFECT STORM or DEEP IMPACT have their staunch admirers in the age group 26-36. I am not even sure the Jerry movies you named, ALIEN excepted, are even known - and i guess that their more ambiguous nature may even be a turn-off for some.

Papillon's definitely the most obscure one on that list. I doubt many millenials have ever heard of it. It's a beautiful score, too, one of his great waltz works.

Papillon's definitely the most obscure one on that list. I doubt many millenials have ever heard of it. It's a beautiful score, too, one of his great waltz works.

I've read somewhere that it was Ennio Morricone's favorite score. I can't put a link anymore since I don't remember what site I've read it from.

Btw, I just came across the wiki page for the 1990 Total Recall and in the soundtrack section, it said "The main title theme features a metal percussion pattern that bears similarities to a drum pattern from Anvil of Crom." Even the link to website it was attached to didn't even say anything about that!

• 4 years later...
  1. Jerry Goldsmith
  2. Goldsmith 91, Horner 0
  3. Jerry Goldsmith (his bad films are more obvious, but James Horner has never scored movies like Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, Alien, Under Fire or L.A. Confidential)

That's debatable. Horner did many good films like 'Name of the Rose' etc. over the years. And'Aliens' holds its own against 'Alien' - it's different but not inferior.