E.T.'s Finale - Spectacular fireworks show from the Eiffer Tower

Ricard

This year's French National Day celebration in Paris ended with John Williams' Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, as the culmination of an amazing fireworks show from the Eiffel Tower. More than half a million people attended the nearly 3 hour concert and fireworks show, which included a repertoire of classical, opera, pop, and film music.

Watch the E.T. Finale here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2y0uoj_feu-d-artifice-du-14-juillet-2015-le-final_tv

Full show:

http://www.france2.fr/emission/le-concert-de-paris/diffusion-du-14-07-2015-20h56

The 'Skyfall' song can be found at 2:15:40.

I don't know of a "loud" ending with more emotional impact as this one (maybe except Mahler's 2nd and 8th), so cheers to the French for the excellent selection!

Perfectly understandable. The John Williams subforum has turned any news regarding this composer into a niche event, safely tucked away so people wont be distracted by it.

Insane Moderator meddling that has made JWfan worse.

The John Williams subforum has turned any news regarding this composer into a niche event.

All the news are available on the main page, so the JW subforum has nothing to do with people not visiting it.

Anyway...

The day some terrorist will destroy The Eiffel Tower, it will be exactly the same, minus the music.

I had been in the parterre just in front of the tower, I would have been terribly afraid it collapse!

I only saw this just now. I am nigh speechless. Astounding!

I think the alternate original version of The Departure is underrated, though. The oboe (or clarinet?) playing E.T.'s theme is just glorious, especially on the Kunzel Star Tracks version.

The John Williams subforum has turned any news regarding this composer into a niche event, safely tucked away so people wont be distracted by it.

Williams became a niche composer long before the creation of the subforum.

I cried... there, I said it !!!

Edit: by the way, I know people applauded and everything, but did they there hear any music at all? I mean, with all those fireworks and everything...

Don't tell me you think you're the only one ;)

BTW here's the Star Wars theme performed by the Orchestre National de France at the concert that preceded the fireworks:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ibg5_le-concert-de-paris-star-wars-theme-principal_tv

Impressive fireworks show, to say the least. Excellent music choice. :) Has the E.T. finale music been used like this before?

That performance of the Star Wars Main Theme is from last year's event.

Don't tell me you think you're the only one ;)

♪Boys don't cry♪

Has the E.T. finale music been used like this before?

Using original film recordings? I doubt it. Let's hope Spielberg isn't thinking about re-editing the film's original end sequence and replace with this video... :o

That was absolutely breathtaking. I can't even begin to imagine what it would've been like to be there.

JW's finest musical moment, set to a visual display like that? It's enough to bring the most green-blooded Vulcan to tears.

That was absolutely wonderful. I would have absolutely loved to have seen that in person. C'mon America you're slacking.

Anyone find that choosing the Finale to E.T. an interesting choice to celebrate (what I believe was) France's Independence Day?

Anyone find that choosing the Finale to E.T. an interesting choice to celebrate (what I believe was) France's Independence Day?

E.T. is obviously French in the minds of the nation. ;)

That was absolutely wonderful. I would have absolutely loved to have seen that in person. C'mon America you're slacking.

As far as film music goes, for a fireworks display I think les Américains would sooner play The Patriot, which is fine in my book. The concert suite is fantastic.

As far as film music goes, for a fireworks display I think les Américains would sooner play The Patriot, which is fine in my book. The concert suite is fantastic.

I wish Mark O'Connor was featured throughout the score and not just in the suite.