Hans Zimmer's Top 10 Scores

Dixon Hill

Much of the Sherlock scores is improvised - jam sessions - so don't give Hans all the credit. ;)

I don't know about the first film, but if I'm remembering correctly, the leaked score sheets for the second film were largely complete. Then again, don't hold me to that; I don't have them, I just had the chance to peruse them once.

I had the misfortune seeing that one in cinema and the music was as ragtag as the whole movie. 

I didn't much care for the movie, but I might actually like the sequel score better.

What's not to like here, well, apart from the mastering? By the way, there's a certain poster at a certain place that must not be named who did a remastering of the score using God-knows-what source files that sounds much better than the official release. I think of the Sherlock sequel as Zimmer's Death Magnetic - solid writing, but horrific production quality.

Lists are always difficult for me, especially when it comes to one of my favourite composers, which is true here (btw, I easily ignore and skim by all the 'cheap shots' directed at him -- whether in this forum or elsewhere. Haters will hate.).

But I actually DID try to make a Top 10 Zimmer a few years ago:

http://montages.no/2012/07/topp-10-hans-zimmer-soundtracks/

Not sure if the list would be exactly the same today, though. INTERSTELLAR would be on there, for example. BLACK RAIN would be off. But nothing will remove BEYOND RANGOON from the top spot.

1. Interstellar

2. Inception

3. Dark Knight

4. Dark Knight Rises

5. Batman Begins

6. Man of Steel

7. Pirates of the Caribbean and The Curse of the Black Pearl

8. Pirates of the Caribbean and The Dead Man's Chest

9. Pirates of the Caribbean and At World's End

10. Gladiator

1. The Ring

2. Black Hawk Down

3. The Thin Red Line

4. Matchstick Men

5. Interstellar

6. The Lion King

7. Hannibal

8. Inception

9. Gladiator

10. The Weather Man

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

1. The Lion King

2. Prince of Egypt

3. Crimson Tide

4. Gladiator

5. PoTC: At World's End

6. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

7. Angels & Demons

8. The Peacemaker

9. Pearl Harbour

10. Backdraft

No particular order apart from The Lion King, but these are the ones I find myself returning frequently to these days.

All we are saying, is give Hans a chance! 

If you're happy and you know it, clap your Hans.

The Lion King

Gladiator

Pirates 3

Never really gave any others a shot.

All we are saying, is give Hans a chance!

If you're happy and you know it, clap your Hans.

The Lion King

Gladiator

Pirates 3

Never really gave any others a shot.

I can't recommend Cool Runnings more. It's just plain awesome!

Its difficult is t it!

I don't understand why.

The man has written music, actual melodies that are either catchy, beautiful, exciting or emotional. More than enough of those.

Coming up with 10 by the Z-man shouldn't be a problem at all... he's actually versatile enough to warrant that.

Damn i forgot True Romance. The Main Theme is so lighthearted and floaty, it's hard to believe that HZ once was able to write something like this.

it's hard to believe that HZ once was able to write something like this.

He barely wrote that though. And he's written lighthearted music far better quite recently.

Ah yes, descended from Mahler and Goldsmith. I always thought that "God" theme was really exceptional in that it's not big, bombastic, and glorious. It's almost... lonely. Very interesting to me, and though the film was charming I would love to have seen such an idea applied to a religious film with more depth.

Ah yes, descended from Mahler and Goldsmith. I always thought that "God" theme was really exceptional in that it's not big, bombastic, and glorious. It's almost... lonely. Very interesting to me, and though the film was charming I would love to have seen such an idea applied to a religious film with more depth.

It may not be a super-deep film compared to other religious ones, but for an animated feature, it does get pretty serious and dark. Gorgeous visuals, too.

I think the Prince of Egypt is a much better film than the live action Exodus: Gods and Kings. Not to say that Exodus is bad, but POE was much more effective in bringing the old story to the screen in a glorious animated fashion, with great music to boot.