For those worrying that Jackman was in a rut with his terrible blockbuster scores for G.I. Joe Retaliation, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: First Class -- he is back in fine form with Pixels.

The movie is the usual Adam Sandler garbage, but with Chris Columbus directing, the score is fully orchestral and very enjoyable. Varese Sarabande released the score digitally and physically on the film's release date.

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/pixels

Fully orchestral? Shame, for a film with this subject there was a great opportunity to do some fun electronic things in homage to 80's video game music. Oh well.

There's a bonus track called "Arcaders '82", and it is a fun throwback.

To be honest I was grooming Jackman here to be a possible contender ages ago, after I heard his ace Kick-Ass score. But then he embraced the popular generic sound we all hate and I was very disappointed in him. Hopefully his encouraging knack for orchestral output is making a permanent return.

To be honest I was grooming Jackman here to be a possible contender ages ago, after I heard his ace Kick-Ass score. But then he embraced the popular generic sound we all hate and I was very disappointed in him. Hopefully his encouraging knack for orchestral output is making a permanent return.

Embraced isn't really the right word.

Newbies like Jackman arent in a position to say no, not if they wanna make a name for themselves in the industry.

Weird though. In the old days you needed to be an established composer before you had any chance of scoring a big film like Captain America 2

I agree tbh, and although it seemed I implied it I don't really blame Jackman for taking the cheques or adhering to the trends (plus he really may have wanted to anyway). I was just disappointed at the time, that's all; I really loved his Kick-Ass score!

But if Jackman possibly really is an orchestrally driven chap then he did go all RCP at the expense of his integrity as far as I'm concerned.