Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

I seem to remember being able to hear the electric guitar at the part where the speeders go through the electrical energy gate thingies, but I also haven't watched the movie in many years.

7:08-7:54

Those warm strings with the exciting winds on top make such a great combination. It's such an exciting moment, with such a fast-paced energy to it, possibly my favorite from this score. I do have several favorite shorter bits in the above section, including 7:24-7:27 and 7:36-7:40.

Sure, it would have been nice if we got a big thematic statement after this section, but it still stands by itself as a great musical moment.

On my first listen to the BFG this may have been my favorite moment. 

2:19-2:31

Actually, I also just realized that this may be yet another example of the second possible motif that is listed in this post (the one JacksonElmore calls "oddly warm"):

This isn't really a specific moment, but I just love the evil twist in both the Trade Federation march and the Flag Parade. I believe it's a short shift to the minor tonality a minor second below the tonic (in the case of Williams, pedal tonic may be a more useful term). So cool!

1:22-1:29

That horn line that gradually comes over top of the repeating figure - :wub:

Williams does something a little similar to this cue in Escape in the Millennium Falcon in TFA, which I also love. Repeating figure increases in urgency until a harmonic payoff as a certain melody plays over the figure, and then there's a fanfare. I can compare time stamps from both cues later if anyone is interested - there's a very clear similarity between the cues in terms of structure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jilal said:

Oh yes, brilliant cue. I was just writing something loosely inspired by it. :)

What would that be? Is it something you've shared already? 

• 2 weeks later...

3:48-4:41

Marvelous how that super-catchy figure reaches its climax and then we transition into a beautiful statement of the Leia's theme interlude. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another ESB one:

The little woodwind thing in the background at 3:56 is so sentimental, and that melody overall is just so uplifting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Isn't actually a "short moment," but I thought this would be a good thread for it.

I was in Presidential mood today and I listened to this for the first time:

Incredible. Couldn't stop listening. So exciting!

And even better with the video (even though the players are just faking it due to the weather):

What's really cool is that apparently about half way through this piece the clock struck noon and Obama officially became President, according to CNN!

I remember my teachers putting the inauguration on at school, but not anything specific from it. Too bad. Must have been an incredible day. 

Might have had something similar if Clinton was elected. Alas, the inauguration will not be particularly historic in the milestone sense.

And Williams won't write anything for it for sure now. 

And of course I should note that this is yet another example of how Williams "arrangements" are not merely slightly different versions of the original. They give a piece an entirely new life. For example, the Star Spangled Banner. That was a piece that of course made me proud to be an American, but it was never musically enjoyable until I heard some of JW's arrangements. Now I love the piece. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here to 3:39

So good, and so catchy! It really stood out to me when I listened to the complete score for the first time over the last few days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently gained new appreciation for the blare of brass and rumbling, churning orchestra in the opening track of TFA OST though I find the moment even more effective on the FYC album, beginning at 3:05 until 3:14 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, Will said:

Love the double basses (?) starting at 3:13 here:

Yes, double basses...and cellos, bass clarinet, bassoons, contrabassoon and piano too! (according to the score) But the basses are certainly the most prominent there.

Interesting fact: There was supposed to be a flute flourish at precisely 3:18 (when the horn jumps up) but it got taken out in recording.

-------------------------------------

This "whoosh" from the Nixon score, starting at 3:08: