Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

I love that moment too! Reminds me of Williams' roots, it sounds like he's improvising a solo. The percussion hits a few seconds before that is really fun. This was the track on my first listen (besides Canto Bight) where I thought that Williams might have had fun with this. 

On 14/04/2018 at 9:45 AM, artguy360 said:

When else has JW pulled out a brand new melody to score a pivotal, climatic moment in a film like he does here?

Maybe not as "climactic" but if my memory serves correctly, the music which scores the scene where David meets the Blue Fairy in A.I. has a unique melody:

On 15/04/2018 at 8:47 PM, Holko said:

2:00-2:13 just gets me so pumped up! I wonder if a complete ToD release will have a footstep-less version, and whether that would be more or less powerful.

2.00-2.13......and 2.13-2.24......and 2.24-2.38.....the whole thing is simply magnificent!!!

• 2 weeks later...

1:57-2:41. Just some good ol John Williams sorrow.

2:29 is one of my favorite little bits of score in the movie too. One of those moments where he can take a really simple action and build a nice musical gesture from it.

sought out my Superman disc and after a couple of tracks listened to Flying Sequence and reminded of a short moment that for whatever reason always tickles. Could only find it on YouTube with the vocal for the love theme but...

about 2.43 to 2.49. How it sort of dips and (to my mind) strengthens before pushing into the theme. Can't explain it but today sent a shiver down the spine but the theme generally always does that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KK said:

So I got to see this live a few weeks ago, and it is hands-down, one of the finest moments of Williams career:

Moments like this which were made for LtP concerts.

5 minutes ago, Loert said:

Moments like this which were made for LtP concerts.

Are you saying this was specifically written for the LtP concerts? It's on the OST though.

Just now, KK said:

Are you saying this was specifically written for the LtP concerts? It's on the OST though.

I mean that it's moments like this which make LtP concerts specifically worth going to. It's moments like this which come across exceptionally well and engagingly in an LtP concert, because of their spectacular quality.

Sorry it's just the weather over here is so hot over here that my sentences don't always make lasagne.

Prerecorded choirs with all of these recent LTP concerts dampens my glee ever so slightly

Although to be honest, the quality of this video is so pixelated I can't tell if there's a choir there or not

My Sorcerer's Stone concert I went to the choir was certainly prerecorded

There was definitely a choir there in the back. No pre-recorded bits involved at all. An utterly orgasmic moment. 

It made up for some of the more annoying populist tendencies of these franchise-heavy concerts.

1 minute ago, KK said:

There was definitely a choir there in the back. No pre-recorded bits involved at all. It was an utterly orgasmic moment.

Lucky dog!

In cosmopolitan Canada, they can afford choirs.  Sadly not so here in backwoods Virginia.

Yea, the TSO has been embracing more proper film music concerts lately. Clearly they sell really well here. They've been including more modernist repertoire too (a la Adams). 

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My Sorcerer's Stone concert I went to the choir was certainly prerecorded

That sounds awful :( 

When I saw Sorceror's Stone live to projection in Providence, there was no choir, and there was no pre-recorded choir either.

I can't wait to see Azkaban: Live to Projection in London this fall!

Absolutely soars:

😍

Particularly that repeating bit at 7:35 is just glorious. 

Also this little "turn" in the melody at 0:15 is both heartbreaking and warm (sorry for the terrible quality of the video but it's the only version I could find on YT): 

I've made my dislike of Jaws 2 rather explicit, but this moment:

Aww man, when Williams casually throws in those beautiful Americana fanfares with those dope-ass chords, like in the end of The Mission...wowww. Film score climate really has changed over the decades.

I saw about 2 minutes of 2 women on a boat that starts to burn somehow and decided that was enough for me from Jaws 2.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Jaws 2 is streaming on Prime starting this week.  I need to watch it

Stu, watch JAWS2 for:

- Michael Butler's nice photography (at yeast the equal of the original),

- Neal Travis' crisp editing,

- Roy Schneider's 'phoned-yet-still-somehow-heartfelt portrayal of a man under pressure,

-JW's score (END TITLE/END CAST-sigh :)).

Other than that, it's all "business as usual". I continue to not give one fuck about those kids.

2 hours ago, Loert said:

1:57 - end

Epic! Especially those towering chords from 2:17.

Sounds like some influence on The Post there!