Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2016 at 8:21 PM, Loert said:

unrelated ideas [at the beginning of end credits to '1941']

You do know that this relates to the parade of cast members presented during the end cast frame by frame? ;-D

Keeping with TFA and specifically, 'Torn Apart'

1:29-1:58, after Kylo kills Han.  Reminds me of some of the dramatic sequences in ROTS when everything is going to shit for the heroes.  Just has an awfully dreadful feeling to it.

Again keeping with 'Torn Apart':

3:26 - 3:40: I love this short moment of tension, especially the rustling strings, which give the impression of the music floating upwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The coda in the 1941 end credits always makes me happy. :blush:

0:00-1:20 of 'Journey to the Island'.  With a cue that has both of the major themes from the score, the opening of this track is just so fucking beautiful, that sometimes I forget to appreciate it.

1:50-2:08 of 'Revisiting Normandy'. The movie and score have just begun and I already want to cry.

• 1 month later...

It's the other way around; It's a unique fanfare in that one film cue, that he later decided to incorporate into the concert arrangement

On 4/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, Bellosh said:

Keeping with TFA and specifically, 'Torn Apart'

1:29-1:58, after Kylo kills Han.  Reminds me of some of the dramatic sequences in ROTS when everything is going to shit for the heroes.  Just has an awfully dreadful feeling to it.

For some reason this section from TFA always reminds of this...might be the timpani pounding the same note.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, Fabulin said:

I you want to hear a Star Wars opera, try the Holiday Special:

Holy crap. Wookiees wearing gowns is the funniest thing I've seen here for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, bruce marshall said:

There is a short interlude during " Love Theme from SUPERMAN( end title) where the strings play a beautiful passage with plucked bass😍 before returning to the main melody.

2:02-2:15

Pure BBlBliBlisBlissBliss.

I might be crazy for thinking this and completely misreading the JW fandom, but the Love Theme from Superman seems like an underrated JW theme. It's so perfect and speaks with a directness and simplicity that makes it one of JW's most concise themes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Makes me wish he had made a standalone grail knights theme concert arrangement track!  Imagine the slow quiet intro he could craft to build up to the first main statement of the theme....

• 5 months later...
On 13/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, Loert said:

9:06 - 9:14

Love the strings here.

Yes!  Sounds like a family sitting down around a cozy fire on a cold winter's day

23 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

while I have no doubts that the specialty label treatment would be kickass, I personally find that the OST is flawless and leaves nothing to be desired.

Even I agree! Not that I know the film or a missing cue list well or at all, but a lot of other OSTs feel badly assembled to me regardless of that. Not this piece of perfection.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

:35-1:08

this is what makes JW so good.  this part in the cue has no business being so good.  its a freaking movie about tom hanks stuck in an airport and we still get cues like this.  it's unreal.

Great post

• 2 weeks later...

When I first listened to the OST, prior to watching the movie, I heard this part and thought "Hey, this is a very Schindler's List-like choir! It must underscore something very tragic and dramatic!".

Then I watched the movie and discovered it was just for a shot of Rey lifting some CGI rocks.