Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Love that short modulation moment, especially the string line. (0:47-0:58)

also that quick bit of yoda's theme at the end --- soooooo good.  and then vader's theme a few seconds later.  unreal cue and score.

16 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I recently re-discovered that unused Arrival In New York cue from HA2. What the violins do when the cue is in G major is just... God, I wish I could read the notes, it's so beautiful.

Is that just the track from the main programme (track 7 on the latest LLL release)? Or is there an unused version somewhere? I didn't see one in the extras.

• 3 months later...
On 08/12/2021 at 7:06 AM, Stu said:

2:45 - 2:55

Harry holds Gryffindor's sword aloft

For some reason I was completely blown away by the surprising use of choir. I don't know why. Choir is used in other places in JW's HP scores. But this felt like a real surprise and a pretty badass moment.

• 4 weeks later...

7:23-end.    holy shit how is this outro so good?  it's pulse pounding.  this is why JW is the greatest.  a movie like 1941 has something as intense sounding as an Indy or Star Wars score.  1941 is creeping up into my top 10.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To Hollywood, and glory!!!!

"Top-10?" Piffle! :lol:

It currently resides at #4 in my all-time top-5 JW scores.

Now, let me hear ya guns?

My what?!

Ya guns!

90% of the time i'm in this thread, it's due to a caffeine high + listening to JW.

maybe i'll replace The Terminal with 1941 in my list.

• 1 month later...

From my personal edit (and therefore a film rip since the film's insert hasn't been released yet), but the Lost Boys arriving at the scene of the battle in Hook. The music takes a turn as Peter is caught by net and pulled down by the pirates and then immediately shifts gears and the orchestra swells as he shouts Bangarang and the Lost Boys swing down to battle with the pirates. Such a fun, exciting moment. For some reason it won't paste at the timestamp, but 3:35 is where it starts.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I love JW's SW transition music. I feel like the sequel trilogy didn't have as many great scene transition highlights though. Am I wrong?

I agree, they are terrific. I don’t think the sequel trilogy did have many, they were all too “efficiently” edited for that kind of thing. There’s a few from AOTC and ROTS that weren’t on the soundtrack albums that I’d really love to hear properly sometime. Eventually. Before the heat death of the universe. 

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I love JW's SW transition music. I feel like the sequel trilogy didn't have as many great scene transition highlights though. Am I wrong?

You're absolutely right. Some of the best things JW has ever written are fanfares or amazing thematic variations for otherwise boring shots of ships taking off and landing. The sequels were too slick for their own good!

6 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

You're absolutely right. Some of the best things JW has ever written are fanfares or amazing thematic variations for otherwise boring shots of ships taking off and landing. The sequels were too slick for their own good!

I don't think the sequel movies are very slick at all. I think the smaller scope of the films (especially compared to the prequel trilogy) meant there were fewer expansive shots of planets and environments and less frequent cutting back and forth between different characters on different worlds. The sequel trilogy is more roughly constructed and with less of a sweeping feel and scale.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Speaking of Indiana Jones

5:43 of this in the film pairs so well with the blast of the train horn chugging along in the background of the shot. The sound design here is oh so so good.

Mentioned Indy a several times, now I’ll reference some JP moments: 5:15 here. This little descending(right term?)note as the Buck hears his baby crying and turns his head and roars. Literally anytime I turn my head this plays in my mind. It changes the course of the track, in a way, from a complete rampage thru the city to a chase after the baby. And then of course you have the brilliantly scored chase as the jungle drums return in a frenzy. Absolutely perfect.

15 hours ago, Brando said:

And then of course you have the brilliantly scored chase as the jungle drums return in a frenzy.

Oh wow. Haven't seen the movie in years and wasn't planning to watch it again... the chase I imagined for this section was so so so much better and more fitting to the music :lol:

1 hour ago, Andy said:

That moment referred is very “monster movie” music to me. 

Very much so. Over the top Spielberg movies are so much fun (looking at you too, Temple of Doom).

57 minutes ago, Andy said:

I like the Lost World as a movie.  I never expected more from what it delivers.

I love it because it’s fun. It’s a balance of dark and silliness. Trailers hanging over a cliff? Most likely very implausible. But because of this ridiculous scene we get extremely great and fun action cues to listen to.