Solving the JWFan Steep Learning Curve of Great Doom Problem

BLUMENKOHL

Good plan?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Good plan?

• Aye
    • Nay

The recent "drama" (hilarious fun) got me thinking. While this is an awesome community, we do tend to scare off newbies before they even get a chance to learn the ropes.

On one hand, it's a good thing. I think of membership here as a relationship. You want to identify problems early on and make a clean break before things get entrenched and the "break up" is worse. A newbie disappearing is not particularly upsetting, but as much has I hate to say it, if Steef or Quintus were to leave tomorrow it would cause quite a bit of drama.

The problem is, the newbies aren't getting a chance to actually learn the ropes, they're just getting confused and jumping ship. The balance is off. We absolutely want potential "break ups" to happen as quickly as possible, but we want to give the newbs a chance to leave because they actually hate us, instead of confusedly thinking they hate us.

If someone wants to leave, we want them to leave somewhere after they learn the ropes but at some point before they turn into Quintus and form an [angry, whiny, and sardonic] pillar of the community

Something I've seen work well in other communities is a probationary period...say maybe 100-150 posts.

Until the newbie gets to 100-150 posts, the rules of the game are simple: we cut the newbie some slack.

Once they get to 100 or 150 posts, and they get how this place works, feel free to brutalize them as we regularly brutalize each other.

People, please don't scare away newbies. They should be WELCOMED! A new star wars score will invite new John Williams fans to a fantastic composer and some of them will be young. Please don't treat this forum as a your venue to be territorial. Some of us have found our professional because of inspiration to John Williams's music (maybe a little Star Wars too). This could be the start of a renaissance.

As someone who was a Newbie when she was like 12 years old, some of you guys were assholes! Also I was 12 and an idiot, but that's not the point :P . A couple people were rude but for the most part everyone was nice. However, there were a few posts I read that made me not check the forum for a while because I was taken aback. Don't be an asshole to the newbies! Give them 50 posts, then be an asshole.

In the past year we have had four new members join who have now broken the 100 post barrier. Good, bad, average?

Neither bad nor good nor okay. The goal isn't the numbers. I honestly don't have an agenda in terms of getting more people here, or less. Bigger communities aren't necessarily better, and they tend to fold more often (counter-intuitive but true). Smaller communities can be barren wastelands. I think this place is "right-sized."

My only hope is that people choose to stay or leave after they understand what this place is about.

As someone who was a Newbie when she was like 12 years old, some of you guys were assholes! Also I was 12 and an idiot, but that's not the point :P . A couple people were rude but for the most part everyone was nice. However, there were a few posts I read that made me not check the forum for a while because I was taken aback. Don't be an asshole to the newbies! Give them 50 posts, then be an asshole.

JW fan people should not be assholes! I know some who have left this forum for that reason. STOP IT! I am firmly on the side that this is bad to treat new members. Welcome new fans and be sensitive to younger fans too!

Heels? God, the evidence continues to mount that I was AI and have amnesia about it.

When I joined a few years ago, I stopped posting for a few months because Blume and Pub pissed me off. Now they're some of my favorites!

How'd I piss you off.

Also JWfangirl1992...I decided to look up your first few posts...I'll be generous and just share your second post on here:

No i doubt many people are thirteen I am just VERY unique.

Yes the concert in april

AND THAnK YOU ITS GLAD 2 BE HERE!

For more OH GOD WHY JWfangirl1992 posts, check out the welcome thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8350#entry200817

My own first post...boy...I just jumped right in...WITH SMILIES GALORE:

Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

Posted by Bluhrmenkehrl on 24 October 2005 - 07:23 PM in General Discussion

I've been lurking around here for a couple of years now...

Time to post. :P

What can be said? Except Doyle's effort, while decent, leaves me wishing Johnny had stayed with the Potter series.

Perhaps it was just how I was while listening to the music, but the score just sounded...unfocused. From the beginning to the end, there's no sense of satisfaction, you don't feel like you've gone anywhere. And to be honest, there's not much that's memorable. When I went to listen, I went in with replaying all the other HP themes like Hedwig's, Fawkes, Chamber of Secrets, etc. in my head. When I came out, I was still replaying all those themes...and nothing new....

The opening tracks are most disappointing, and the MV elements in tracks like The Quidditch World Cup...are not fun.

The dark music is dark and omnious. The bombastic music...sounds...well like...bombs exploding and going no where. The lack of continuity with the past scores is another big minus, even though I'm trying my best to let it go, considering the circumstances.

Foreign Visitors Arrive, Golden Egg, Neville's Waltz, Harry Potter's Love, and Potter Waltz, are the best tracks, but even they don't come near the best that Williams brought to HP.

Voldemort's track is most disappointing...it sounds good while you're listening to it...but there is no dark lord theme, and once it's done you'll have a hard time recalling what you just listened to, and it's not helped by the fact that there isn't any build up throughout the score to one of the biggest turning points of the movie and series...the return of the dark lord. :)

From what I've heard in the two hours I spent listening, some tracks a couple of times, the music really ends up as sounding like what the Quidditch World Cup track was...trailer music. It's an hour and 15 minute collection of trailer music.

6.5/10

Based on first and half impressions...on low quality AOL streams. ;)

To be completely honest...I want them to track some Williams pieces from the past movies in the film...something to just connect back to the other movies.

;):P:);):P:)

I made some pretty reprehensible posts in my early JWFan days (and some more recently). The two that stick out are one calling Zimmer's Rain Man "god-awful sound effects" and another saying that everything by Ennio Morricone was overrated.

Even then, those don't compare to the ones I've made at other forums before that.

I made some pretty reprehensible posts in my early JWFan days (and some more recently). The two that stick out are one calling Zimmer's Rain Man "god-awful sound effects" and another saying that everything by Ennio Morricone was overrated.

Even then, those don't compare to the ones I've made at other forums before that.

I look back on my old posts and think "Man what an overly serious asshole I was." The problem is that I'm sure I'll think the same of the posts I'm making now :P

Perhaps surprisingly (to the establishment), I'm actually pretty nice and encouraging to newbies. I've always said the more the merrier and JWFan needs more regulars.

I don't think I'll ever totally "get" the humor of the people here, so I just ignore a lot of threads with questionable titles. Movies that describe a bowel movement would be the first. Really?

I may fit your newbie status with only 54 posts in about a month here but I lurked for a couple of years. So I'm well aware of what I got myself into, just never said anything on my mind.

I think you can just simply teach the newcomers to use the "Manage Ignore Prefs" tool of this forum.

Used on the right users, it can make any thread soooooo much more relevant (and short).

Geeez, it took me six months before I discovered it!

I'll never understand the purpose of the "Ignore" button.

When I want to ignore someone's post, I just ignore it.

I can't answer this, you're on my ignore list.

It's heavily influenced this new "safe space" culture on university campuses, where tweens can fanticise that other viewpoints don't exist and cannot harm them

Drama is really easy to ignore, you can tell that pretty much any post under a line is irrelevant to things related to JW ;)(mine included)

Yeah. It's like that member (Blume, I believe) who decided not to follow the news in order to live a happier life in which there is no terrorism, no natural disasters... nothing!

What a life!

I can't answer this, you're on my ignore list.

:(

I follow the news, but only when it comes to me filtered by my networks!

Otherwise who gives a crap if a bunch of Belgians decided to invade the Netherlands!? No one! Not relevant! To anyone in the world what tiny ant-states engage in!

Better than giving me a false sense of being informed. News is for middling people with too much time on their hands and not enough intelligence to actually learn something!

Better than giving me a false sense of being informed. News is for middling people with too much time on their hands and not enough intelligence to actually learn something!

Do you tell yourself that in the dark of the night, when the claws of fear clutch your heart and doubt takes over, and your hand is reaching for an imaginary remote, as the desire to watch Fox News grows stronger?

I used to be a BBC guy!