What is the very best unused JW cue?

Quintus

On 8/3/2015 at 7:19 AM, Mr_K said:

the original finale to AOTC comes to mind.

What DID happen with that? I always assumed Lucas told him to not bother and he just filled it in with old stuff mashed up all over the place. Was there any indication that anything else was written besides The Arena? 

He wasn't talking about the entire final act of the film, he was talking about literally the final cue just before the end credits.  JW recorded the whole thing one way, then later a portion was replaced by an Insert that uses The Imperial March.

A mockup of the original version can be heard here:

My vote’s for one of these unused cues from Superman:

‘The Dome Opens [alternate]’, ‘Fortress of Solitude [alternate segment]’, or ‘To Earth’ (not to be confused with its later replacement, ‘Trip to Earth’).

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I love all the Hoth music too!  What makes you describe it as "weird"?

It's so evocative of a foreign world, and it sounds almost completely divorced from the narrative flow of a completely linear "conventional" film, particularly an action driven one like a Star  Wars. 

Honestly after the first five tracks or so on the Special Edition, I've always been ready to call it good.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, Jay said:

I think The Hunt (The Round-Up) from The Lost World is still my answer.  One of my favorite JW cues of all time!

Did anyone ever attempt to reconstruct the scene with its original score, to some degree of accuracy?

The middle part of T-Rex Rescue & Finale which got edited to have the JP fanfare in (in the final film edit underscoring the T-Rex breaking into the visitors center)...would have preferred the cue as written.

5 hours ago, MSM said:

The middle part of T-Rex Rescue & Finale which got edited to have the JP fanfare in (in the final film edit underscoring the T-Rex breaking into the visitors center)...would have preferred the cue as written.

Agreed man, one of my favorite parts of the entire score!

Narratively, it was the right decision, though. The T-Rex Ex Machina moment is supposed to be a relief, but the music as written signals MORE DANGER. Replacing it with the adventure theme allows the audience to relax at the optimal moment in the scene.

The only issue with it is that they didn‘t have JW record an insert that used that theme in the tone that wanted that perfectly integrated into the cue so well you‘d never know it was an insert, instead of tracking in Journey to the Island.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, Alex said:

The Speeder Chase is my favourite unused cue now 😉

Almost verbatim what I was going to post! LOL I was so excited to hear this cue in the movie, and now that it wasn't even used and doesn't feature any Star Wars themes, it almost stands completely on its own.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The only issue with it is that they didn‘t have JW record an insert that used that theme in the tone that wanted that perfectly integrated into the cue so well you‘d never know it was an insert, instead of tracking in Journey to the Island.

Sure. But it was probably too late to have Williams and the orchestra return by the time the decision was made to track in the adventure theme, so I guess they had to work with what they had.