Bad album but a great movie score!

Quintus

Which scores do you rate highly whilst never wanting to listen to them as standalone musical experiences? Have you ever loved the music during the film and bought the OST only to find it just didn't work when separated from the imagery?

I did this with Terminator 2. Brad Fiedel wrote great soundtracks for both of the original movies, but I listened to the soundtrack of T2 once and once only. It just wasn't an enjoyable listen. When I moved house recently I actually threw the CD and its shiny silver case away.

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Score is really awesome, but the OST album was a terrible mess of stuff that had very little to do with the film's score

EDIT: Oh, that's not what you mean.

Hmmm. Not sure if there's ever been a film experience where I loved what I heard while watching it, but then didn't like it when listened outside the film.

Usually I expect that. I mean there are plenty of films that I love, and whose music supports the film just fine, but I don't have any interest in listening to it separated. Batman Begins, Memento, and Under The Skin come to mind.

Oh man. I LOVE that film, but honestly never even noticed the score in it until a few years back.

I listened to the OST on a whim and was surprised that it was all synth plodding with the occasional nice guitar work.

Saw the film about a year later and realized oh yea, there's some synths here, how about that.

The score doesn't hurt the film, and the guitar parts are actually nice. But the album is super dull.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples I could think of, but the one that leaps to mind immediately is The Game. I remembered the music conveying a chilling effect during the movie, but was thoroughly bored when I listened to it separately.

I did this with Terminator 2. Brad Fiedel wrote great soundtracks for both of the original movies, but I listened to the soundtrack of T2 once and once only. It just wasn't an enjoyable listen. When I moved house recently I actually threw the CD and its shiny silver case away.

I also think you have to give a score a second, and sometimes third or fourth, chance to get through to you. I can agree that much of T2 is a pretty mechanical experience, but I wouldn't dream of tossing out a CD that contains pieces like "Desert Suite" and especially "It's Over/Goodbye," the best piece Fiedel ever composed.

Don't some people have a penchant for the kitschy crudeness of the Princess Bride's score as they're watching the movie?

That's another pretty good example. I'm still not completely sold on the music outside the movie, but I can't picture that picture without it.

I like the T2 score. I agree, its PERFECT for the film and less interesting on album, but there are plenty of great highlight tracks that are well worth listening to on there!

I like the T2 score. I agree, its PERFECT for the film and less interesting on album, but there are plenty of great highlight tracks that are well worth listening to on there!

I think I'm in the minority but to me the whole album is a highlight. One of the best purely (and only) synthesized film scores I own. Fiedel created an entire sonic universe for that film and I love it to bits.

Bad album, great score ? Nigel Westlake's Babe, well the original Varèse Sarabande album which sucks all the loveliness of the composition out of the music. There's only a couple of cues that are without dialogue but that's not enough to save the horrid album. The 2015 re-recording is a HUGE improvement, it's a stunning 5 STAR album now, because it's performed flawlessly. There's now only the small matter of doing the same for Babe: Pig in the City which got an awful release as well.

Probably not what you meant Quintus but your topic title made me think of this immediately and I had to post something. ;)

I agree with Fiedel's TERMINATOR scores. Fantastic scores in the films, almost unlistenable on album (except the main theme).

I felt the same way about a particular score last year -- Mica Levi's UNDER THE SKIN. Superb score in the film, but I don't want to listen to it alone. In fact, that goes for most horror scores for me. Unless it's composed in a more romantic, melodic idiom (what I call 'delicious darkness') -- like HELLRAISER, THE FURY, DRACULA, SCREAM etc. -- I'm hesitant to own it. Stingers and sneaking-around music (with loads of tenuto strings) are not for me.

I was going to say Godzilla by Desplat but then I remembered I pretty much hated the score in the film as well as outside of it. So I won't mention it here.

To be honest there aren't too many where scores just didn't work when I listened standalone when in the film they did. I either like it or don't like it.

I felt the same way about a particular score last year -- Mica Levi's UNDER THE SKIN. Superb score in the film, but I don't want to listen to it alone.

Great "mood album" even if the desire for such a mood might not happen often.

Wow, Bespin? GHOST, really? That's a damn fine album. You continue to bewilder me with your quirks and things. :) And INCEPTION is probably one of my favourite soundtracks in the last few years -- both in the film and outside. But I guess a thread like this will always have suggestions by some that will be incomprehensible to others. That's the name of the game.

"Crimson Tide" by Hans Zimmer. It is only five tracks. Tracks two and four are about twenty minutes of really intense electronic music each which should have been broken up into more tracks, even if they were gapless, continuous tracks. "Crimson Tide" is Hans Zimmer's absolute best score, IMO. He wrote it before he sold out to the Hollywood machine around 2000.

Which are Zimmer's actual best scores? I don't have as much irrational disdain for Zimmer as filmtracks.com, but most of what he has written since the 90s sounds awfully generic, in my opinion. I admit there are a few gems - "The Holiday," "It's Complicated," parts of "The Lone Ranger," parts of the three "Dark Knight" scores, for example.

On that note, I am really looking forward to seeing what Zimmer does for "Batman v. Superman." Has he given any indication that he will discard all of his Nolan/Bale Dark Knight music and start over? That would be incredibly strange.

Logan's Run, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Poltergeist

Without Login's Run I'd be able to handle what seems to be obvious satire here but with it I feel confused, disorientated and left pondering the meaning of life.

And now CRIMSON TIDE is being mentioned too -- one of my favourite Zimmer scores and albums (absolutely love the long "suite" format)! Yikes!

Wow, Bespin? GHOST, really? That's a damn fine album.

I completely disagree. :( Ghost is good in the film but gets on my nerves on album. The synths are totally grating, however the 2 orchestral cues and the song make an otherwise awful album a bit better. Just not enough, because I didn't keep that one.

And now CRIMSON TIDE is being mentioned too -- one of my favourite Zimmer scores and albums (absolutely love the long "suite" format)! Yikes!

I completely agree. :) It just works by only having 5 cues, I love all 60 minutes of Zimmer's concept approach. Of course I'm no stranger to overlong cues (songs), hence my username which is my number 1 rock band.

Which are Zimmer's actual best scores? I don't have as much irrational disdain for Zimmer as filmtracks.com, but most of what he has written since the 90s sounds awfully generic, in my opinion.

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

From CRIMSON TIDE or in general? I also like his K2 album, which only has two very long tracks ("The Ascent" and "The Descent").

Which are Zimmer's actual best scores? I don't have as much irrational disdain for Zimmer as filmtracks.com, but most of what he has written since the 90s sounds awfully generic, in my opinion.

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

Amen! Glad to see more preaching for this underrated gem.

Logan's Run, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Poltergeist

Without Login's Run I'd be able to handle what seems to be obvious satire here but with it I feel confused, disorientated and left pondering the meaning of life.

Logan's Run belongs in the "great score for a terrible movie" thread.

Logan's Run belongs in the "great score for a terrible movie" thread.

Together with Interstellar!

Goldsmith's "Planet of the Apes"

Should I duck and cover now?

When I first picked up POTA, I wasn't expecting the abstractness of it (I hadn't seen the movie in years), and I absolutely hated it. It would be a long, very patient learning process before I grew to understand and eventually love what Goldsmith did with the music for that film—although I still don't find it a very soothing listen, to be sure.

I can't even. . . . . . . . :blink:

That doesn't narrow it down much.

:lol2::thumbup:

Goldsmith's "Planet of the Apes"

Should I duck and cover now?

Fantastic score on album.

Agreed. It's a tough listen, to be sure, but if you stick with it, then the rewards are 10-fold. This was the first JG I bought in 1975. I listened to it, and I have never looked back.

The harshness of the vintage recording of POTA adds to its relative lack of accessibility, which has probably turned off a lot of listeners.

Hmm. Now that is true. I'd love a re-recording, but it wouldn't capture the "atmopshere" of the score.