Film Music for a Wedding

Jay

I'm getting married in 17 days (holy crap!) and am assembling a playlist of the music that will play during the dinner part of the reception.

It's going to be all instrumental, and I have the opportunity to include some film score selections. But I'm having trouble finding suitable stuff! A lot of the film music I love is really bombastic in nature, and not really appropriate. And a lot of love themes are either too over the top, or are more like "yearning for love" / "it hurts that we're NOT together" type love themes, you know what I mean?

So, please, recommend me film music tracks appropriate for what I'm looking for!

Go!

Film music only? It may be not be possible to find something suited to your wedding from only film scores, if there isn't something huge that jumps out at you off the bat. It crossed my mind as well but I couldn't make anything work. Too "specific" music, maybe. If it's general "instrumental" music you're after though, I've plenty of ideas, and you could go further afield in your own searching.

Well, I don't need music for the ceremony, or introductions, or cake cutting, or dancing. Just underscore while we're eating.

Ah ok gotchya. Yeah for the dancing/dinner/reception stuff I programmed a few things, just to have a certain atmosphere, but none of it was film music. Those are some nice choices though.

I thought it'd be easy to throw a bunch of Love Themes in, but haven't found any.

Like this is too sad:

This is too bombastic:

I'm struggling to think of any love themes that are REALLY romantic, but also subdued enough. Maybe something by John Barry?

I'm getting married in 17 days (holy crap!) and am assembling a playlist of the music that will play during the dinner part of the reception.

It's going to be all instrumental, and I have the opportunity to include some film score selections. But I'm having trouble finding suitable stuff! A lot of the film music I love is really bombastic in nature, and not really appropriate. And a lot of love themes are either too over the top, or are more like "yearning for love" / "it hurts that we're NOT together" type love themes, you know what I mean?

So, please, recommend me film music tracks appropriate for what I'm looking for!

Go!

Just pick some of the more pastoral stuff, you should have no problem finding dinner-appropriate music in scores like War Horse and Lincoln.

Others:

Other scores to look into:

Dances with Wolves

Any of the romantic stuff from the John Barry James Bond flicks, appropriately loungy for background dinner music.

Children's scores like How To Train Your Dragon, Ratatouille & Up,

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Adventures of Tintin

The Book Thief

Shakespeare in Love

El Cid

I don't think you should stick to exclusively mild-mannered pastoral/romancy music. It gets old and boring pretty quick. Add some quirky, slow-tempo James Bond type "cool" music...

Things like the "From Russia With Love" Main Title. You don't want your guests grey and dead by the time the dancing begins.

Along the "quieter" Williams scores, I'd go with The Accidental Tourist and Stanley & Iris.

How about the Trotter Trio renditions of Sketches on Star Wars? Who could hate a jazzy version of the Imperial March?

Congratulations. The day will not be perfect. Just make sure to surround yourself with people who will fix the problems rather than point them out to you and the bride. I've been involved with the planning and execution of far too many weddings. And then there was the time I was only a guest and my date got into a heated argument with an old classmate over abortion in the church; I tried to get them to discuss something less controversial, like the JFK assassination.

Bruckhorn is utterly wrong, your wedding day is the pinnacle of your life, so you should get it as perfect as possible. Really frankly, the rest of life is not worth living, so try to get this right!

;)

Along the more peaceful, mild-mannered stuff, Coolman and Desplat probably have a lot of stuff, and Forrest Gump comes to mind as another one in that vein that everybody would probably like hearing. But I agree with Blume that mixing it up with fun stuff is obviously a good idea. Sketches on Star Wars would be cool. And Cantina Band/Cantina Band #2!

Bruckhorn is utterly wrong, your wedding day is the pinnacle of your life, so you should get it as perfect as possible. Really frankly, the rest of life is not worth living, so try to get this right!

;)

I said it won't be perfect. Something will go wrong. Make sure to have people around who can fix them before anyone notices. That's part of the fun. "Ah, this is nothing. Remember when we dropped off the luggage at the hotel for the bride and groom and the hotel said there was no reservation and that they were fully booked?" Yes, that happened. And my sister, the bride, didn't know about it until the next family wedding. When she got to the hotel, all was good. (And that's all the details I need, thank you very much.)

How about "Across the Stars" as you utter sweet nothings into each other's ears like "It's not me, M'Lady. I worry about you"? If she sticks around after that, she's a keeper. That's my advise.

John Williams harp stuff, like The Lanes of Limerick or Fluffy harp.

Or Miklos Rozsa's source music (though you probably don't have his stuff):

Many great suggestions in this thread.

Two of my personal wedding/love themes are "The Wedding" from WYATT EARP or "Love Theme" from JANE EYRE. Or anything by James Horner in a romantic vein. But there are so many great things, I wouldn't know where to start or end.

Firstly, congratulations Jay!

Wedding music... well, quickly I think about somes cues from JW's Sabrina.

But even at my marriage, I don't remember picking any music film track during the evening.

But for the begining of the ceremony, I planned to play an excerpt of "Song for World peace", but didn't do it.

If you want to use some movie music, make a presentation in movieMaker using your old photos.. starting with the mariage of your parents, then pics of you, from birth to now. Do the same for your sweetheart (with her musical tastes!)

This kind of multi-media presentation is also a good way to salute old friends long gone and parents.

It's pretty easy to do and It always makes the moms cries :-)

Alas, I cannot hear those renditions thanks to the dreaded "This Video is Not Available".

I'm curious to hear if it'll help me tolerate that piece better :P

I'd have a nice string quartet or ensemble play Elgar's Nimrod at the procession. Like the beginning of this video, but slower.