Jerry Goldsmith's Alien (1979 (Nothing to Say)

Arpy

Hey all,

I'm doing an assignment for my uni course and thought the knowledgeable members of JWFan could help with this particular detail. I'm analyzing a sequence from the film, the Chest-burster scene and the funeral of John Hurt's character, Kane. The funeral scene is underscored with one of my all-time favourite cues: 'Nothing to Say'. Anyhow, the assignment requires that I analyse the use of music for the scene and this is where I became stuck, particularly because of my terrible apprehension of the difference between instruments.

Does anyone here know of the instrumentation and orchestration of this cue and in particular the statement of the main theme?

It doesn't state so, but I would like to at least say which instruments are being used instead of just the generalization of 'brass' or 'woodwinds', If you know what I mean?

I suppose it would make for a nice bonus, but keep in mind that going into such detail when not required could cost you marks ;).

Could you give us some timestamps for specific parts of the cue you want to know the instrumentation of? Scans of the orchestrated score have long been in circulation, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that can help you.

I suppose it would make for a nice bonus, but keep in mind that going into such detail when not required could cost you marks ;).

Could you give us some timestamps for specific parts of the cue you want to know the instrumentation of? Scans of the orchestrated score have long been in circulation, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that can help you.

Yes, I shall heed your advice on not over-elaborating things!

0:35 - 1:51 of Nothing to Say is the timestamp, at least on my copy of the track.

Any help would be much appreciated and even for generally understanding the cue on a technical level would be interesting.

Here we go. At least some knowledge of harmony is required to understand the analysis, but the terms I use shouldn't be too difficult to understand. I did my best to avoid any complicated harmonic analysis. Forgive me if this didn't turn out the way you would have liked! Links to Wikipedia articles are embedded in the text.

I'm sure 99% of this post is unnecessary for your analysis, so distill what you need.

00:35 - 01:22 (Bars 12-24 of cue R7P1 'Nothing to Say' (Revised))

Orchestrator: Arthur Morton

We're in 3/4 meter. Over a nauseous sustained minor seventh orchestrated for the violas, cellos and basses with the accompaniment of a string ensemble synth pad (phase shifted, to give it a slightly wavering effect) and a mixed choir instructed to sing with their hands in the form of a cup in front of their mouth, 3 French horns in F play a quarter note (B-flat, the upper note of the minor seventh) drone pattern.

3 oboes (in unison) sound an ominous call whilst the violin section plays a very soft sustained trill (sul ponticello, meaning on the bridge of their instrument, giving the tone a glassy quality). The oboes repeat the call whilst the bass note (played by the cellos and basses) shifts from C to the even lower G-flat, two tones a tritone apart, another ominous, nauseous interval. As a response to the ominous oboe call, the violins and violas play a variation on it, reach a chord, play a similar pattern and finally reach the last chord, whilst the horns both shift their drone from B-flat to A and are joined by three more horns sounding a supportive stopped A as the flutes, clarinets and bassoons join the orchestra to give harmonic support. Accompanying the final chord, swipes on both a Javanese gong and tam-tam, a spin of the wind machine and glissandos for the choir, piano, cellos and basses are heard, effectively contributing to its unsettling atmosphere.

01:22 - end (Cue R7P1A)

Orchestrator: Arthur Morton

3 flutes doubled by the marimba play two different minor chords in a succesive pattern over one of those minor chords sustained by the string section (con sordini, producing a soft, muted tone), accompanied by a low quarter note drone on the lowest note of that chord orchestrated for 2 tubas, the timpani and an Arp 2600 synthesizer, as well the other minor chord, orchestrated for 3 trumpets muted with harmon mutes, doubled by the vibraphone. A similar concept, with a different set of chords, is then heard, although this time, the second chord is not a minor chord but a different, more dissonant one.

This is amazing, Alexander!

Thanks a bunch! It's interesting to read the orchestration whilst listening to the track, everything works perfectly!

I had always, as an aside, wondered what exactly that noise was (a wind machine) that's unusual.

Wonderful cue. Probably my favourite from Alien. That opening Gb7/C polychord with the lower C filled in with a white note (C-G) cluster is fucking bone chilling.

I'd say the key feature of 00:35 - 01:22 is the use of multiple pedal points at different registers. You've got the Bb in the muted horns coloured by the Arp Solina, violas and mixed voices (exchanged between tenors and altos every two bars) - that's one pedal. Then enters a lower pedal, C, a minor 7th below. Furthermore, with the oboe's statement of the Nostromo Theme (3 oboes in unison), 1st violins come in with a measured tremolo between E and F#. So what was previously interpreted by our ears as a double pedal point, now sounds like a C7b5.

This is amazing, Alexander!

Thanks a bunch! It's interesting to read the orchestration whilst listening to the track, everything works perfectly!

I had always, as an aside, wondered what exactly that noise was (a wind machine) that's unusual.

You're welcome ;). The orchestration is fairly unusual, indeed. It's really cool to have such avant-garde stuff in a film score.

So much to say about Nothing To Say...

Much Ado About Nothing To Say.

Except I should listen to this score again. It has been too long since I did so.

Found this interesting reworking of the cue for the game 'Alien Isolation'.

Everything up to 0:50 is just the original transposed up a semitone, and slightly re-arranged. Shame. Could have been much more interesting.

Wonderful cue. Probably my favourite from Alien.

Absolutely. One of my favorites as well. I've always found it a slightly unsettling moment cinematically anyway, the thought of having your body wrapped like that and then ejected into the eternal cosmos. Jerry's creativity takes it to an entirely new level, though, with his use of the gong swipe and the wind machine. Somehow he combines bitter sadness with a deeply chilling effect to create a moment that lingers with you (as much as any of the patently scary scenes do).

It's a brilliant film, but I don't think there's any denying it wouldn't be nearly what it is without Jerry's genius providing the atmosphere—even in spite of the egregious meddling from Ridley and Rawlings.

(text [text]) That's the correct way to imbricate parentheses.

Sorry, professional deformation when I worked as a layout editor in a translation company a loooong time ago!!! :D

Wonderful cue. Probably my favourite from Alien.

Absolutely. One of my favorites as well. I've always found it a slightly unsettling moment cinematically anyway, the thought of having your body wrapped like that and then ejected into the eternal cosmos. Jerry's creativity takes it to an entirely new level, though, with his use of the gong swipe and the wind machine. Somehow he combines bitter sadness with a deeply chilling effect to create a moment that lingers with you (as much as any of the patently scary scenes do).

It's a brilliant film, but I don't think there's any denying it wouldn't be nearly what it is without Jerry's genius providing the atmosphere—even in spite of the egregious meddling from Ridley and Rawlings.

Believe it or not, but the music is not the thing that sticks out to me, but maybe that's a good thing. To me it's pretty obvious that the design is what makes the movie Alien.

To me it's pretty obvious that the design is what makes the movie Alien.

Of course, along with Vanlint's cinematography and Rawlings's editing. But I doubt it'd be anywhere as near affecting without the sensual yet disturbing score.

Of course, along with Vanlint's cinematography ...

Maybe you don't know, but it was actually Ridley Scott behind the camera.

I know, and Peter Andrews is Steven Soderbergh etc.

Of course, along with Vanlint's cinematography and Rawlings's editing. But I doubt it'd be anywhere as near affecting without the sensual yet disturbing score.

Agreed on both points. Alien is one of the finest visual masterpieces in cinematic history, no question. But a standard horror-genre score would've stood out in the worst way, even detracting from the visuals to some degree. Goldsmith's music becomes a seamless element in what you're seeing, so that the soundscape matches the landscape in ways that are just so eerily effective. Think of the sequence aboard the alien ship, from beginning to end. Try to imagine it with normal, "emotive" music, compared to the unsettling, minimalist approach Goldsmith takes. The results just wouldn't be the same.

There is music in Alien?

Oh, good Lord. . . .

There is music in Alien?

Oh, good Lord. . . .

Mercy, I just start to understand that we don't get to 85 000 posts by always saying relevant things!

The aforementioned cue appears twice in the film, once as written for the Funeral Scene and second tracked in to when Dallas (Tom Skerritt) is trying to access 'Mother'.

Correct. Another example of Rawlings using Jerry's music as a general "pool" to draw from. (Note how the effect at the end of the cue that worked so brilliantly in the scene it was written for—the bit with the gong swipe and wind machine as Kane's body spins into space—falls flat in this secondary usage. It doesn't make any sense at the end of the exchange between Dallas and Mother. It's a good example of how and why music written for a specific moment won't work as effectively when used elsewhere.)

I actually think it works brilliantly in both scenes. The passage with the pulsing muted horns and the reedy Nostromo theme gels so well with that sterile, amber chamber and those clusters of flashing buttons, The increasing sense of despair in the cue also matches the replies from Mother.

• 1 month later...

Did he have absolute control over the choice of focal length, lighting conditions, ISO film stock, composition of shots?

I know he likes operating the camera himself, but there comes a point where the director has to know his boundaries and just direct and let the DP do what he was hired to do.