Non-JW Favourite Short Musical Moments

Jilal

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 9:51 PM, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

3:06-3:14 gives me tears. Beautiful.

It's lovely, Ravel. But you know musical form more than any of the ghastly classical beasts. It only got better after you.

What track are you referring to?  The youtube embed just says "video unavailable" for me

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What track are you referring to?  The youtube embed just says "video unavailable" for me

I seem to have the same problem with Will's post at the top of this page. We're both linking to videos uploaded to "Name - Topic" type YT channels, so I suppose local copyright restrictions are involved.

My post now links to an unofficial video, hope there are no copyright restrictions this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Late to this thread and YouTube free (since they aren’t available more often than not) but I digress….

My all time favourite such moment is and probably always will be when the horns kick in with the main theme at 39 seconds into Test Drive from HTTYD. All horn chords should sound like that… given those numerous scores with gargantuan brass/horn sections that often sound nowhere near as impressive as the numbers imply, that is what a gargantuan brass section should sound like. The full brass reprise of the theme just after the 2 minute mark is a close second for sheer magic and the full on pipes and drums that suddenly burst out for the coda in Coming Back Around is pretty damn thrilling.

Totally off the wall other moment… the key change in Rainbow Connection from the original Muppet Movie. Gets me every time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Listening to VERTICAL LIMIT by James Newton Howard...

It's a tiny little moment but I love this subtle chord change, with strings, in the final cue It's A Good Song (1:13)...

JNH is great at making lovely chord changes but this one is a favourite. It's just a great segue from a Cmaj into an inverted Bb(add2).

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 19.12.10.png

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 19.12.01.png

Listening to APOLLO 13 again tonight, I was reminded how much I love those final moments of All Systems Go / The Launch, when everything has calmed down. The solo trumpet, then that rising harp/tremelo strings line with the softly cooing choir. So gorgeous and a lovely 'mini coda' to an otherwise epic cue.

Just listened to two medley of community by Ludwig Göransson from his old yt chanel. They are simply amazing!!! Too bad that there are no expansions of those terrific scores. I wonder I one of the speciality label could do this or if the AFM is still an issue (knowing that there is no existing presentation apart from season 1)?

On 25/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, LSH said:

Listening to APOLLO 13 again tonight, I was reminded how much I love those final moments of All Systems Go / The Launch, when everything has calmed down. The solo trumpet, then that rising harp/tremelo strings line with the softly cooing choir. So gorgeous and a lovely 'mini coda' to an otherwise epic cue.

YES! the quiet moments in this score as as sublime as the grand moments are compelling

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 12:26 PM, Loert said:

[...]

Pure bliss! And reminiscent of a particular scene in an *ahem* Star Wars movie *ahem*... :whistle:

Which scene are you referring to?

My contribution to the thread:

Sublime stuff from Conrad Pope. So Williams-esque!! If Williams stops scoring Spielberg's films, Spielberg should hire Pope! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite moments in the score!

I didn't realize for 20 years that it was a reprise of material from the same track (2:15-2:45), just with the whistle replaced by boys choir.  The boys choir version is brilliant!

Of all the great moments in The Shawshank Redemption, this is my favourite (film and score)...

Some of the most deeply moving string writing I've ever heard. Kills me. Shame it's so brief.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The extended Film version of this cue is even better.

It really is... but I could only refer to this version.

• 3 weeks later...