The Official Strictly Non-Williams Favourite Short Musical Moments Thread™

Jilal

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 9:51 PM, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

3:06-3:14 gives me tears. Beautiful.

It's lovely, Ravel. But you know musical form more than any of the ghastly classical beasts. It only got better after you.

The writing for the horn section is sooo cool here. The strongly dissonant E-F#-G-A-B cluster building up and the flutter-tongueing really help to musically convey the aggression of the wargs on screen.

What track are you referring to?  The youtube embed just says "video unavailable" for me

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What track are you referring to?  The youtube embed just says "video unavailable" for me

I seem to have the same problem with Will's post at the top of this page. We're both linking to videos uploaded to "Name - Topic" type YT channels, so I suppose local copyright restrictions are involved.

My post now links to an unofficial video, hope there are no copyright restrictions this time.

Ah, Out of the Frying Pan!  Yea that bit is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

13:54 - 14:11

Now I know where John Powell got the idea from for his "vuvuzela effect" in Into the Maw!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just love the melodramatic performance of Atlanna's theme here from 1:07 to 2:23. It gives me an early 2000s RC vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Late to this thread and YouTube free (since they aren’t available more often than not) but I digress….

My all time favourite such moment is and probably always will be when the horns kick in with the main theme at 39 seconds into Test Drive from HTTYD. All horn chords should sound like that… given those numerous scores with gargantuan brass/horn sections that often sound nowhere near as impressive as the numbers imply, that is what a gargantuan brass section should sound like. The full brass reprise of the theme just after the 2 minute mark is a close second for sheer magic and the full on pipes and drums that suddenly burst out for the coda in Coming Back Around is pretty damn thrilling.

Totally off the wall other moment… the key change in Rainbow Connection from the original Muppet Movie. Gets me every time.

Yea that Test Drive cue is legendary, the first sign that classic orchestral scoring wouldn't be dead in the 2010s

• 2 weeks later...

7:10-7:42

Only 30 seconds long but filled with such devastation, as if we were listening to the collapse of a civilisation...