Non-JW Favourite Short Musical Moments

Jilal

This is the kind of sophisticated voice-writing that Giacchino so obviously lacks in his bigger scores. Someone give Shearmur a chance at the SW throne please.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not from a film but it might as well be...I love this particular passage from Bartok's "The Wooden Prince":

8:41 - 8:59

Sounds like 100 harps approaching you from all directions!

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

From about 1:30 to 2:20 is possibly the best part of the whole score (which is utterly and uniformly fantastic), and then 3:05 to 3:47 is probably the second best part.

I loved how 3:47 worked in the film: The music stopped, we saw someone dive into the pool, and then as soon as they hit the water the music started up again. Really stood out to me. 

That cue really sets a party mood so well. Perfect. 

Another great moment from that score:

1:15-1:38

Looking back, it almost seems too cheery, as if Hurwitz was already letting us in on this being "fake" (something I at least wasn't 100% sure about until the very end)...

8 hours ago, Will said:

I loved how 3:47 worked in the film: The music stopped, we saw someone dive into the pool, and then as soon as they hit the water the music started up again. Really stood out to me. 

That cue really sets a party mood so well. Perfect. 

The whole cue perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being at a party where there's tons of people but you feel all alone. Which is a great description for LA in general, honestly. It's essential emotional set up for what follows in the story.

On 13-2-2017 at 10:02 PM, LampPost said:

1:57 - 2:27; sounds like it could come straight out of vintage Star Wars!

I especially love how the planing major triads interact with the arpeggiating G major ostinato beneath.

I don't hear it. For me it sounds more like americanized Shostakovich, at least falling 3-note motif. But it is the best part (or half) of the piece - i virtually cannot listen to the second with its overbearing hurrah americana and the children's chorus. 

You've got to credit Shore for making those badass, cluster-filled, bass/piano rumbling finale "Kilar-esque marches" sound so damn cool. Many lesser composers have tried to achieve the same effect with far less impressive results.

Yea, I'm glad we have both. I think this was the last time we heard Shore channel this sound, aside from moments in the Hobbit.

By the way, at 0:40, are the basses tremolo-ing, or are they being instructed to pulsate to a strict rhythm on the pitch in some fashion? And anyone want to shed some light on what's going on in 2:02?

Yes, there is a thread for this, and I should aptly move this inquiry there.

44:56 - 45:27

The 'passionate kiss' from near the end of Bartók's tragic opera Bluebeard's Castle. Despite the sheer beauty and lyricism of the music, it's embodied in dark and unsettling harmony. Indeed there's a pervading sense of dread throughout the opera as Judith (Bluebeard's newly wedded wife) explores and opens the doors in his castle. The climax occurs from 58:50, after Judith opens the last door to discover Bluebeard's previously murdered wives, after which she herself becomes trapped and "swallowed up" with the others...

This opera is filled with passages which inspired some of the "tropes" that appeared in Golden Age cinema scores some years later (the opera was premiered in 1918). The kiss sequence is reminiscent of Hermann's score to VERTIGO, the brooding strings from 7:38 are reminiscent of Rózsa. There are many other great musical gems but I don't want to spoil it for those unfamiliar with it - the effect is greater when listened to in context of the whole story. If you have an hour to spare I would highly recommend watching the Michael Powell film production on Youtube, especially if you're into the psychological horror genre.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, LampPost said:

44:56 - 45:27

The 'passionate kiss' from near the end of Bartók's tragic opera Bluebeard's Castle. Despite the sheer beauty and lyricism of the music, it's embodied in dark and unsettling harmony. Indeed there's a pervading sense of dread throughout the opera as Judith (Bluebeard's newly wedded wife) explores and opens the doors in his castle. The climax occurs from 58:50, after Judith opens the last door to discover Bluebeard's previously murdered wives, after which she herself becomes trapped and "swallowed up" with the others...

This opera is filled with passages which inspired some of the "tropes" that appeared in Golden Age cinema scores some years later (the opera was premiered in 1918). The kiss sequence is reminiscent of Hermann's score to VERTIGO, the brooding strings from 7:38 are reminiscent of Rózsa. There are many other great musical gems but I don't want to spoil it for those unfamiliar with it - the effect is greater when listened to in context of the whole story. If you have an hour to spare I would highly recommend watching the Michael Powell film production on Youtube, especially if you're into the psychological horror genre.

Coincidentally, my orchestra just performed this last weekend.  Was interested in it, caught some of the music on Youtube a few months ago, but didn't get a chance to see the performance.

0:53-1:27

The perfect culmination of all the Ring-related material.  I wouldn't mind getting the chance to ask Jackson what the hell he was thinking dialing that out in the final cut.

Indeed. If anything, he's a fantastic orchestrator. He really knows how to bring out the most out of all the sections. The orchestra rarely sounds so rich or large in modern scores (take note Djitichino!).

Just heard about this score yesterday when Filmtracks named it best score of 2016! Listened to the whole OST last night. 

1:41 - 2:48

Love the War Horse-like melody, then the cool wind transition, and then the awesome-y optimistic and exciting segment after that (particularly the first melody in the exciting segment). Marvelous.

Some of the best chords remind me a bit of this awesome (IMO!) CBS golf theme music: