David Newman talks about John Williams

Lewya

Great interview. Also, somehow I never knew that David Newman was one of the Newmans.

I guess you didn't know that he and Coolman are also related, huh?

Randy writes better songs that's for sure, but Thomas is a more interesting and individual composer than any of his relatives, alive or dead.

Agreed!

David is also very different from Thomas, personality-wise. OK, I've never met Thomas, but from what I hear, he's rather shy. Whereas David, who I HAVE met on numerous occasions, is the opposite -- very outrovert and talkative.

To be fair, he was THE "Golden Age dude", given his power and resume.

But over the years, I've come to recognize a few trademarks in his style as well. I'm particularly drawn to his religious scores, like GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, THE ROBE etc. Bliss!

Waxman will always remain my favourite of the Golden Agers, but ol' Alfred has a special place in my heart.

Sure, but he came onboard a BIT later, and he's so unique in his sound anyway, that it's hard to include him with the Straussian neo-classicists.

Incidentally, Alfred was the composer who gave John Williams one of his first involvements in the film biz (with CAROUSEL), just to keep it Williams-related.

Sure, but he came onboard a BIT later, and he's so unique in his sound anyway, that it's hard to include him with the Straussian neo-classicists.

Neo-romantics, dude. Neo-romantics.

And Herrmann was a neo-romantic too. It just his sound was drawn was influenced more by his contemporariness - Delius, Ireland, Honegger, Barber, VRW etc.