The Most Blatant Plagiarism Since 300

Gnome in Plaid

So, a friend of mine recently got the game "Until Dawn," and he told me I'd like the music. There's no soundtrack released yet, but Jason Graves provided some samples for an interview and, well, the Killer's Theme sounds familiar.

https://soundcloud.com/playstation/until-dawn-killer-theme

It's the Philosopher's Stone motif, note for note.

There's not even the most basic attempt to hide it. Pathetic.

I'm well aware that there are pieces that sound the same as each other... but yeah, that's blatantly the game's 'composer' ripping off the Philosopher's Stone theme.

Wonder if there are any other plagarized themes in there.

Well this one didn't came from a videogame (it's an early 90's anime series) but the source material certainly came from a videogame:

was derived from this:

Note that to this day Jerry Goldsmith is still being accused of plagiarizing this theme. As if JG watched any obscure anime series in the 90's!

The notes are the same but the form of the melody isn't. Jason Graves has possibly been a bit naughty here (perhaps even consciously), but he doesn't need to worry; Michael Jackson still remains the biggest plagiariser of a Williams melody ever.

Why hide it? After all, it's only three notes. If I'd ask my younger brother to play a couple of ominous sounding three notes sequences on the piano, chances are this will be one of them.

Similar but different. The Killer motif (on stopped horns) is D-F-C#, D-F-C#, D-Gb-F-C#, while the Voldemort motif (transposed to Dm) is D-F-C#, D-F-E-C#. Graves's theme outlines an (0145) tetrachord, while Williams's is the more tonal and less exotic (0134) tetrachord.

But it's inspirations were all from film music

I get this remark, I do... John Debney is a film composer after all. He wrote it in the template he knows so well.

I just want you to acknowledge that video game music is not poor, cliched or whatever negative description you want to give it.

Because I'm confident you've only heard a tiny fraction of what's out there, so you cannot possibly claim that as the truth.

You lack interest in a genre you know nothing about? Interesting...

Well I'm not into motorbikes and am unlikely to ever build an appreciation of them given that I never ride them.

You can hardly compare motorbikes with music. I'm afraid of driving them and I'll never get on one... but I don't dismiss them as shit.

Well I'm not into motorbikes and am unlikely to ever build an appreciation of them given that I never ride them.

But I bet you know everything about these machines, right?

dscn38140gs_zps0dophnfu.jpg

I could only acknowledge something like that by listening to a large portion of it. Which is an issue, since I lack any interest in this genre.

You have a problem acknowledging it, but you have no problem expressing your distasteful opinion of the genre by poo-pooing all over anyone's praise of video games and related aspects. Seems all you're after is the attention, the post counts, the chance to say "Since I'm Steef and my opinion is Gospel on this nerd site, this is what I need to say about video games. [insert vomit]." Because you clearly DO have an interest in the genre. You despise it, which is interest X 180°.

But I bet you know everything about these machines, right?

dscn38140gs_zps0dophnfu.jpg

You misquoted and no I'm not a car freak either. I know how to put one in gear, accelerate, brake, turn the wheel, put on the A/C, and turn the windshield wipers on, that's about it.