The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

I think there's 2 possibilities

1. 30 minutes out of what's on the OST is not in the film (because they are concert arrangements or earlier versions of cues that got replaced by revisions)

2. In addition to the standard OST, there will be 30 minutes worth of additional bonus tracks sent to various retailers. iTunes bonus track here, Amazon mp3 exclusive track there, MovieTickets.com preview, Wal*Mart version bonus track, whatever.

Reading the quote again, I think #1 is more likely.

well, if 30 minutes of the c.d. is not in the film, that means we get about 40 minutes of actual film score , meaning the hunt is on for an hour and a half of unreleased music

I hope my editing program (Magix Audio Lab 3) will work on Windows 10

Or the reporter is confused and is reporting the facts wrong

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely possible that what Abrams actually said was that Williams had recorded 30 minutes that's not in the film, with nothing about that unused music actually being released.

Or maybe Disney has given wrong information to retailers (big shock) and one of the releases is two discs?

I hope so!

Or the reporter is confused and is reporting the facts wrong

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely possible that what Abrams actually said was that Williams had recorded 30 minutes that's not in the film, with nothing about that unused music actually being released.

You know, I betcha that's it.

30 minutes of original cues that were eventually replaced by rescores sounds about right to me.

"That will be released" means:

Not in the movie that will be released

or

Music (not in the movie) that will be released...?

The second one is what everyone here was thinking they meant.

The first one is probably what they meant.

So about 40 minutes of actual, final film score on the OST.

Well, if that isn't a good reason for an expanded release, I don't know what is. Let's hope the OST sells like hotcakes and someone takes notice.

The Phantom Menace album is a fantastic program.

The same cannot be said for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, which were terrible albums. Clones followed the film's narrative too closely and didn't really have any flow to it. The complete/chronological people probably love that one, though. I get bored. Sith is a schizophrenic mess and again lacks any kind of flow. A lot of the material is redundant and autopilot filler music, and there are also some pretty horrendous edits. It's like they were trying to make sure all the best stuff was left off and what was there gave us a terrible impression of the score. I might actually argue that most of the material left off the OST was the strongest stuff in the score. Fucking album sucked,

30 minutes of a 70-80 minute album being music not used in the film is lame. I really hope it is released separately.

I don't think that will be the case. As it happened with Tintin, the OST will mostly reflect the music as heard in the final film, with probably 2 or 3 concert suite arrangements.

I'm quite sure Abrams is referring to music originally written and recorded for earlier cuts of several scenes that ended up being totally rescored or maybe even dialed out. Recording sessions took place as late as 10 days ago, it's more than likely Williams had to write a bunch of revised cues.

I think the most likely situation is that this extra music will be released as bonus tracks for digital releases only, but it bodes well for an expanded 2-CD release in the not so distant future perhaps.

My only real issue with Sith is why the funeral cue, segueing into that amazing imperial march statement, was left off.

I'm less optimistic about a 2-CD release in the near future. Sure, Disney wants to milk everything, but they must also respect for Williams' wishes.

I think the most likely situation is that this extra music will be released as bonus tracks for digital releases only, but it bodes well for an expanded 2-CD release in the not so distant future perhaps.

I hope that is the case, as I would be extremely satisfied, and I agree that the wording does seem to leave that possibility open.

My only real issue with Sith is why the funeral cue, segueing into that amazing imperial march statement, was left off.

Agreed. That's the best thing Williams wrote for all the prequels, and he replaced it with a rehash of the original funeral cue...

Perhaps he should have released 74 minutes of that fanfare on the CD. It is obviously the epitome of his SW music.

I was thinking , what's the point of announcing there's 30 minutes of recorded music that won't be in the film out of any context?

So my guess is that 30 minutes will either be a part of the soundtrack (at the expense of other score) or released seperatley

That reads as a supremely fake tracklist, oddly enough. And 23 tracks?? I've got no doubt the final tracklist will be radically different with several cues combined.

"The Jedi Steps and Finale" ???

I don't know. It seems legit, although I could be full of shit. Not only are there Williamsisms in there (a "Confession" track, "The Abduction", the exclamation point), but a bunch of shit that would make no sense for someone to make up ("On the Inside", "Rathtars"?), since we have no idea what it means. Also,

Rey does walk up the Jedi steps at the end of the movie.

Could be real but I'll wait until the track list is posted at Disney Music Emporium before I'll believe it. I agree that some of the track names sound fake and almost too simple.

Maybe the extremely tight turnaround prevented him from creating his usual album presentation, complete with microedits? That reads as the kind of tracklist the 3 prequels should've had, had he not combined and edited together so many cues on the OST.

What I do find believable is Attack on the Jakku Village being combined with Main Title, leaving the actual opening sequence music unreleased; he did the same thing with the AOTC OST. It makes sense to start the album with that cue if the next action track isn't until track 7, The Falcon.

I don't know. It seems legit, although I could be full of !@#$%^&*. But there are not only Williamsisms in there (a "Confession" track, the exclamation point)

Yes!

The Rathtars! is reminiscent of Vadar!!

Ants!

Maybe the extremely tight turnaround prevented him from creating his usual album presentation, complete with microedits?

Or the tracks are really short ;)

The way they're written on Amazon, without capitalisation etc makes me think that it's probably fake, but I'd give anything for the title "Scherzo for X-Wings" to be real

I am pretty sure it is real, Revenge of the Sith is up there without capitalisation too - http://www.amazon.fr/Star-Wars-Episode-Revanche-inclus/dp/B00082IJ0I/