The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

Yeah, when was the last John Williams OST with over 20 tracks? Like, never?

He has a very specific album arrangement for Star Wars films; the final track count will definitely be closer to what he did for War Horse and Tintin, around 18.

POA made it up to 21 ;)

The orchestral rendition of Double Trouble is one of my favorite moments of the score.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I think the tracklist is fake. Too long and too many suspicious and suspiciously familiar sounding titles.

The tracklist was pulled as they make revisions to the OST to delete various tracks and simultaneously add the popular trailer music, as well as dialogue and sound effects. People love that stuff.

Sorry if this was posted already, The Disney Music Emporium website has a listing for a "Deluxe Edition' for the Force Awakens. will this be a two disc set like the Frozen soundtrack and the Legacy Collection for the classic Disney films.

Can anyone shed any light on this/

Thanks!

If this is the same deluxe edition as advertised on Amazon and various outlets, it will not have any bonus music and it will have just the one disc.

I'm unsure about where one can order the 'Deluxe Packaging' ( = with booklet) of TFA? I visited Disney Emporium Music website, and the only options there are 1/ the standard CD or 2/ the Deluxe CD with the poster.

Did they decide to cancel the 'Deluxe Packaging' CD? Did I miss something (if so, my apologies ladies & gentlemen)?

EDIT: sorry, found it on the Universal Music Website.

Would you really want to buy the Deluxe version when it comes only with a fancier case and some added pictures and no new music?

I thought the standard version came with the booklet as well?

I found this bit of extra info on the Deluxe version on the site of Scandinavian online retailer CDON:

Deluxe Edition

- Standard tracklist in 6 panel digipack, silver foil on all panels, 2 levels of emboss on logo, 24 page booklet

- Limited edition

Regular Version

- Standard tracklist in jewel case, 24 page booklet

And this Retail Exlusive Digipack

- Standard tracklist in 6 panel digipack, silver foil on all panels, 2 levels of emboss on logo, 24 page booklet

• O-Card featuring cover artwork different from standard digipack, and exclusive to this format
  • Two CD sized lithographs

- Limited edition

Yeah, but the deluxe edition has the 2 levels of emboss.

I am still waiting for the 3 levels of emboss on some exclusive retailer versions. Gold filigree and inlaid diamonds and rubies.

But yes the booklet seems to be the same in all releases but the extra embossing and collector's cards and pictures and fridge magnets will probably vary.

I expected that the Deluxe packaging would contain extra material in the booklet, à la The Hobbit.

Now, I'm a bit lost. I think I shall order the standard CD and wait for echoes of other editions.

Apparently,

the Rathtars(!) are creatures that were contained in the Millennium Falcon's cargo hold and are released during a gang raid. So we can possibly expect some zany creepy crawly music.

I pre-ordered directly from Disney, mainly because they promise to deliver the CD close to the official release date (They gave me an estimate from December 18 to 22), for the basic shipping cost.

Ordering from Amazon an having the same delivery date to Chile would have costed too much.

Has anyone got any experience with Disney Music Emporium?

Apparently,

the Rathtars(!) are creatures that were contained in the Millennium Falcon's cargo hold and are released during a gang raid. So we can possibly expect some zany creepy crawly music.

Spyders!

I'm kind of thinking that the track lists are a hoax, I mean they aren't John Williams-ish. Most of these look like a Giacchino or Summer track titles. And most of Williams scores has about 15-19 tracks and not usually a little over 20. The only score I can think that has more than that is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and the LA LA Land Home Alone release.

A dumb question I need an answer on: do we have a firm confirmation that the release is only one disc?

I think all the internet retailer sites list it only as a single disc on all editions. And I doubt JW would be up to releasing more music.

Although at the time of AotC I remember that he said in an interview that if there was a format that could hold more than 80 minutes of music he might consider releasing more, but I think that was just some flighty thinking and he would never seriously consider it for initial soundtrack release.

Even if there was a format capable of 150 minutes music, he still wouldn't release the complete score.

I'm intrigued to see what the tighter turnaround for this score results in. Less microediting? Less underscore and more focus on outright highlights?

Even if there was a format capable of 150 minutes music, he still wouldn't release the complete score.

I'm intrigued to see what the tighter turnaround for this score results in. Less microediting? Less underscore and more focus on outright highlights?

I have always wondered how tightly spotted will this new movie be. More like SW where there is 88 minutes of music or wall-to-wall like all the sequels?

Yeah, I reckon from the volume of recording sessions, the unusual editing style that JJ uses, and the level of JW fanboy he is, he probably asked for wall-to-wall music (which they could then reduce in post, if required).

Keep in mind there was technically no "first cut" until after Williams was already recording music, so spotting the film conventionally was never part of the equation.

I hope the album is a lot like ROTJ in terms of length and structure.

I'm pretty sure the OST will be a fair representation of the score as heard in the film within the 75-mins presentation format, with the added concert suite themes to round off the program.

Keep in mind the OST will be bought not just by JWfans and film music aficionados, but likely by a much larger crowd. And most of them will buy it after seeing the movie and will want to relive the excitement of what they heard in the film itself. IMHO that's the reason why they're keeping a more comprehensive release for a later moment--they don't want to have too many similar products out at the same time with the risk of confusing the buyers. The OST will be for the general audience, but you can bet your dinner that an expanded 2-disc release (and probably a collectible vinyl of sorts as well) aimed at collectors and more demanding fans will be released in the following months.