The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

What do people actually expect to happen when Sony loses the licenses, I am curious?

The almighty Disney will seize them and starts producing us the complete scores with Mike Matessino at the helm!

Sarcasm aside, does anyone really expect that to happen?  I think it's more likely Disney will just keep on milking money without releasing anything new the way Sony has for many years.  :(

I was actually expressing genuine hope of Disney (or some other company) doing the honorable thing and giving these scores their definitive versions, when Sony's reign of repackaging ends.

What do people actually expect to happen when Sony loses the licenses, I am curious?

The almighty Disney will seize them and starts producing us the complete scores with Mike Matessino at the helm!

Sarcasm aside, does anyone really expect that to happen? I think it's more likely Disney will just keep on milking money without releasing anything new the way Sony has for many years. :(

I was actually expressing genuine hope of Disney (or some other company) doing the honorable thing and giving these scores their definitive versions, when Sony's reign of repackaging ends.

Ah, well, I hope so too, but I don't have any optimism about them keeping our niche market in mind. :(

Well, niche enough to want proper, complete releases, versus the commercial-friendly OST's.

Sarcasm aside, does anyone really expect that to happen?  I think it's more likely Disney will just keep on milking money without releasing anything new the way Sony has for many years.   :(

Ah, well, I hope so too, but I don't have any optimism about them keeping our niche market in mind. :(

Well, niche enough to want proper, complete releases, versus the commercial-friendly OST's.

The Disney Legacy collection gives me hope they might do the SW music justice if they got the license. :)

You're wrong. The complete FILM score of ANH actually fits one ONE disc (IE, if you don't include Princess Leia's Theme or the two Cantina Band tracks, but DO include the Binary Sunset alternate). Regardless, a 2CD set would still be needed of course to get all those in there plus the original album presentation.

TESB easily fits on 2 discs, including every last alternate you can think of.

ROTJ could also fit on two discs, but you COULD do a 3 disc set to include every tiny little difference that's ever turned up, or if you wanted to make sure to present those differences in a repeat of the entire cue / track the original version was in.

You're forgetting the original album presentations. We would want those, as ESB has never been properly released and I don't hold out much hope for whatever Sony is releasing. Complete chronological score, alternates (including takes we've never heard before) and album presentations. I'm thinking 3 discs for Star Wars (why not?) and at least 4 each for ESB and ROTJ.

You're forgetting the original album presentations.

Regardless, a 2CD set would still be needed of course to get all those in there plus the original album presentation.

The TFA soundtrack cover has been slightly changed, to enlarge Williams' credit (perhaps Disney was reading JWFan, and wanted to show their commitment to Williams and dispel suggestions that the cellar song writer would get all the publicity ;) ):

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens/dp/B014V6JIQK

718X9e7l8lL._SL1500_.jpg

The omision of 'composed and conducted by' is very strange, all star wars films had that. If he did conduct parts of it, he is entitled to it, they can put additional conducting on the back cover.

Also, the omission of 'composed by' diminishes his work, many composers who use collaborators to aid them are credited just like that. (usually you never see the full credit with zimmer, elfman, giacchino...)

And Williams supposedly orchestrated this score all by himself, or something like that was mentioned. They usually do not make emphasis on that.

So it should have been 'music composed, orchestrated & conducted by John Williams'....

Despicable that they've castrated his credits and made him seem equal to Zimmer scum. Obviously Williams is about to become the target of a systematic process of intimidation and manipulation by Disney in order to supplant him.

eyeroll.jpg

John Williams is 83, he's been sick this year and has undergone surgery.

Now he simply... delegates.

We should count ourselves very lucky to have a new Star Wars score composed by him, especially this year.

The TFA soundtrack cover has been slightly changed, to enlarge Williams' credit (perhaps Disney was reading JWFan, and wanted to show their commitment to Williams and dispel suggestions that the cellar song writer would get all the publicity ;) ):

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens/dp/B014V6JIQK

718X9e7l8lL._SL1500_.jpg

Wait until you see the inside. They've forgone liner notes in favor of collectible posters that form a gigantic mural of Lin-Manuel Miranda's face.

I just plain don't like the cover. Needs more going on.

I'll probably use one of the fan covers from this thread.

I need to try and track down that one fan cover that was posted here that made it look like the prequel album covers.

The omision of 'composed and conducted by' is very strange, all star wars films had that. If he did conduct parts of it, he is entitled to it, they can put additional conducting on the back cover.

Also, the omission of 'composed by' diminishes his work, many composers who use collaborators to aid them are credited just like that. (usually you never see the full credit with zimmer, elfman, giacchino...)

And Williams supposedly orchestrated this score all by himself, or something like that was mentioned. They usually do not make emphasis on that.

So it should have been 'music composed, orchestrated & conducted by John Williams'....

You're right, the composed and conducted credit is much better. I agree that the music by credit diminishes the maestro's work, in a way.

I just plain don't like the cover. Needs more going on.

I'll probably use one of the fan covers from this thread.

They should use the movie poster for the album cover instead.

I still believe the original intent was to pay homage to the Star Wars vinyl album cover but then someone decided it wasn't eye-catching enough and needed cartoon stars and colors other than black and white.

Maybe they thought "Music Composed But Only Partially Conducted By Williams Due To Back Problems" wouldn't look very good on the cover.

Apparently, Williams no longer gives a shit about crediting William Ross for conducting. The pacemaker changed him. Like Borg implants.

More machine than a man? Surely not. He would not go calling people "angel baby" if he was heartless.

I still believe the original intent was to pay homage to the Star Wars vinyl album cover but then someone decided it wasn't eye-catching enough and needed cartoon stars and colors other than black and white.

This whole thing is turning into one giant homage.

the omission of 'composed by' diminishes his work, many composers who use collaborators to aid them are credited just like that. (usually you never see the full credit with zimmer, elfman, giacchino...)

Ugh. These posts make residence here very difficult at the moment. Just take a moment to listen to yourself, get some perspective in life. Yikes!

I agree that the music by credit diminishes the maestro's work, in a way.

But no, it doesn't. Unless you're a massive anal retentive prone to anxiety attacks over absolutely nothing.

the omission of 'composed by' diminishes his work, many composers who use collaborators to aid them are credited just like that. (usually you never see the full credit with zimmer, elfman, giacchino...)

Ugh. These posts make residence here very difficult at the moment. Just take a moment to listen to yourself, get some perspective in life. Yikes!

I agree that the music by credit diminishes the maestro's work, in a way.

But no, it doesn't. Unless you're a massive anal retentive prone to anxiety attacks over absolutely nothing.

Indeed.