The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

Perhaps this is common knowledge around here, but Conrad Pope just confirmed on his Facebook that he was not involved in the production of the Force Awakens score (bolding is mine):

I think it's trailer music. and, let me clarify, I had NOTHING to do with this Star Wars' score so anything I say is conjecture. However, aurally, except for the last few "cut/spliced" stuff nothing sounds like JW -- at least, to me. If it is, I apologize for the inadequacies of my hearing, taste and expectations. I recall, back in the Jurassic period of music, Jerry Goldsmith, when asked "how he wrote music?" replied:" I write something on the top, something on the bottom, and something in the middle. "The audience-"composed " of "composer want-to-be's", for the most part, laughed --- thinking it was a joke. I didn't. The first part of this trailer has no middle. I'm reasonably confident that the the majority of this was written by someone who is very.very young- at least, musically--- and--- never, never played jazz:)

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope/posts/10207402507493840?comment_id=10207402953264984&reply_comment_id=10207403075308035&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

What is referring to? the Footbal trailer?

He's presumably referring to one of those recent TV spots -- not the full length trailer. He said in the original post that he was watching TV and, "They broadcast a tv trailer for the upcoming STAR WARS."

Perhaps this is common knowledge around here, but Conrad Pope just confirmed on his Facebook that he was not involved in the production of the Force Awakens score (bolding is mine):

I think it's trailer music. and, let me clarify, I had NOTHING to do with this Star Wars' score so anything I say is conjecture. However, aurally, except for the last few "cut/spliced" stuff nothing sounds like JW -- at least, to me. If it is, I apologize for the inadequacies of my hearing, taste and expectations. I recall, back in the Jurassic period of music, Jerry Goldsmith, when asked "how he wrote music?" replied:" I write something on the top, something on the bottom, and something in the middle. "The audience-"composed " of "composer want-to-be's", for the most part, laughed --- thinking it was a joke. I didn't. The first part of this trailer has no middle. I'm reasonably confident that the the majority of this was written by someone who is very.very young- at least, musically--- and--- never, never played jazz:)

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope/posts/10207402507493840?comment_id=10207402953264984&reply_comment_id=10207403075308035&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Why is jazz so important for a composer?

Jazz is important for being John Williams.

I do wonder why he wasn't keen on doing the Cantina source music, given the success of the one in A New Hope. Also given his background in jazz.

Given how much music was going to be required of him for the film, the fact that it takes him quite a bit longer to compose than it used to, and that there is the obvious expectation that this be incredible music, it makes sense that Williams wanted to just solely focus on the score so that he was in a prime position to make it the best it could be.

Possibly for a different band scene, or later in the cantina scene (just like how the original film features a time jump and two different cantina tracks), but given how memorable everyone said it was I'd be really bummed to find out Lin-Manuel replaced it.

Maybe that's why Williams refused to write it? "I already did this months ago and you want to replace it? Find someone else if my version isn't good enough!"

I sense a lot of feverishness and I must say that I'm actually a bit lost between rhetoric posts and relevant ones on all the Star Wars threads on the forum.

Well, something's big coming... only few days more ;)

3353563_125.jpg

Why is jazz so important for a composer? Surely there were many great composers before the genre emerged.

Sure there were. And if you don't know anything about jazz and all the other types of music that have happened since those great composers were writing, you're gonna be stuck writing the same kind of thing those great composers were writing, stuff that sounds like it's more than a century old, but unlike their music, yours will be shitty, because you suck.

So for the lack of news on this the desperation in this thread is palatable. Imagine Disney pushes the release to January, the BO would quadruple for all the Williams fans seeing it again and again.

So for the lack of news on this the desperation in this thread is palatable. Imagine Disney pushes the release to January, the BO would quadruple for all the Williams fans seeing it again and again.

Hey, if every member on here saw it five times each, at an average of $8.25 a ticket, John Williams fans would account for almost $200,000 of the gross total! With that kind of box-office boost, Jimmy Cameron will never stand a chance!

Forget it, SUH. It's jazzical music...

Why is jazz so important for a composer? Surely there were many great composers before the genre emerged.

Sure there were. And if you don't know anything about jazz and all the other types of music that have happened since those great composers were writing, you're gonna be stuck writing the same kind of thing those great composers were writing, stuff that sounds like it's more than a century old, but unlike their music, yours will be shitty, because you suck.

Ok BB, guess it's another case of musical snobbery.

It's not musical snobbery! It's wisdom! Wisdom, I say!

And ignorance from your part!

:fouetaa:

I do wonder why he wasn't keen on doing the Cantina source music, given the success of the one in A New Hope. Also given his background in jazz.

It's not healthy to speculate on these matters, as we probably will never know the real truth. Anyway, maybe they asked Williams first to come up with a modern hip-sounding version of the Cantina Band tune and he simply said "No, thanks, get someone else to do it", without too much fuss.

Esentially what Pilgrim is saying, I think, is a composer with a jazz background or influence can bring so much more to the table than a composer who's stuck listening to 18th century music and goes backwards but not forward. It is considered that Wagner practically invented what became formally later as the atonal side of music, like Stravinsky and such. Listen to some of Alex North's work, the main influence of Williams. You probably know about him, but the guy had an amazing musical vocabulary essentially thanks to his jazz background. Most of his music is very jazzy in nature, maybe not directly or obvious, but he liked to mix around lots of amazing chords and harmonies, never did music the traditional way so to speak -probably Pilgrim can explain this much better than me. For example, my favorite work of his

Esentially what Pilgrim is saying, I think, is a composer with a jazz background or influence can bring so much more to the table than a composer who's stuck listening to 18th century music and goes backwards but not forward. It is considered that Wagner practically invented what became formally later as the atonal side of music, like Stravinsky and such. Listen to some of Alex North's work, the main influence of Williams. You probably know about him, but the guy had an amazing musical vocabulary essentially thanks to his jazz background. Most of his music is very jazzy in nature, maybe not directly or obvious, but he liked to mix around lots of amazing chords and harmonies, never did music the traditional way so to speak -probably Pilgrim can explain this much better than me. For example, my favorite work of his

Thank you for not being absurdly sensitive and elucidating my point precisely.

This response makes more sense and doesn't resort to uncalled for insults.

Who exactly the fuck did I insult?

It's not aimed at anyone. "You" here is being used to describe a hypothetical person with limited musical awareness. No credibility lost. It's an answer to your question. Please don't call me ridiculous things after I answer your question.

Dear man, you are a rather literal-minded fella, aren't you...? One could also say 'he who lives in the faraway past will stay an anachronist forever' (no, not Antichrist) and most important composers were/are forward thinkers. It's the same in science, aviation whathaveyou.

It's not aimed at anyone. "You" here is being used to describe a hypothetical person with limited musical awareness. No credibility lost. It's an answer to your question. Please don't call me ridiculous things after I answer your question.

What did I call you?

This person who doesn't know jazz music is not necessarily shitty, that was an absurd thing to say.

The words absurd, insulting, and snobbery were used by you in reference to me. I said no such things about you. You have been far more insulting in this exchange, ironically!

I implore you to get a sense of humor and hyperbole and move past the last sentence of my original response.

It's a pretty insulting thing to call a musician shitty because they don't know jazz. If that was your idea of a joke, then I'm sorry our sense of humour don't overlap.

(hyperbole does reduce credibility btw)

No, it doesn't. This isn't a bloody thesis defense or some shit. Good God, someone save me from this bullshit.