The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

I demand that Pink Floyd add all the bits they cut out in Dark Side of the Moon!

The microedits in that are deplorable. They left out that epic choral statement of the Money theme.

I demand that Pink Floyd add all the bits they cut out in Dark Side of the Moon!

The microedits in that are deplorable. They left out that epic choral statement of the Money theme.

And all that extra music that Michael Jackson wanted in Bad but Quincy Jones vetoed him. We want the expanded edition!

JWfanners will lose the will to live.

John Williams, you're breaking my heart...

It does look that way. I'm actually really stoked about that!

Someone at Disney had a lot of pull to make this happen. Inevitably the whole thing will leak at least 2 or 3 days beforehand (it's inevitable with physical copies already mastered and sitting in warehouses/mail rooms for shipping by the end of this week), but I appreciate the efforts Disney have gone to.

Yeah, once it leaks I might have to give up the internet (should it leak only a couple of days before the film) entirely to avoid the temptation. Though I might check out some of Rey's theme before doing so, just so I have a decent grasp on what to listen for in the score.

The score is 100% composed and orchestrated by John Williams

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25241

Except for one particular song...

It's not part of the score, which is what Jay is talking about ;)

John Williams, you're breaking my heart...

If you watched the video J.J. baby also said it soars.

'Soar'/'soaring': the greatest cliche when it comes to describing symphonic music?

You are a barrel of laughs today aren't you. Why so glum chum?

I'm going to try really hard to not listen until after I've seen the movie if it leaks. If it doesn't, should be easy since it won't be up until after many of us have seen it.

riff in the djembes.

Careful now!

I used to be a JW fan but then I took a riff in the djembes.

Haven't seen this posted:

Disney Music Group President Ken Bunt on the 'Star Wars' Soundtrack

Have you heard any of the Star Wars music yet?

"Yeah, we just finished scoring. It's obvious what I'm going to say, right? It's incredible; it's [composer] John Williams. It matches the tone of the film and what the fans expect. We'll release the soundtrack with the movie, day-and-date. That's where the [new Friday] global street date is nice, because you don't want any of the [song] titles to be spoilers for the movie."

Any special plans for collectibles?

"We haven't announced it yet, but there'll be a whole series of collectible vinyl releases through 2016. It's hard to announce a date, because the limited capacity of the manufacturing plants, but we can say spring. The vinyl manufacturing takes so long. They score the movie so late, it's tight to make the (CD) release as it is."

Are there any differences in how you handle the catalog music since you took it over from Lucasfilm?

"Streaming platforms didn't exist for the [previous] movies, so that's something that we'll be rolling out, along with character-driven playlists with sounds and dialogue from the movie. People love to hear dialogue and sound effects, so we're working on some ideas now that will incorporate some of that into playlisting. We did already launch three playlists on Spotify -- not of new music, certainly. We'll be working with all the DSPs as far as the new Star Wars music."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6770098/disney-music-group-ken-bunt-interview

Hm... "with sounds and dialogue from the movie", hopefully not on the soundtrack album.

For me, in this part of the thread all seriousness was lost.

For me, it was when they announced digital pre-orders. There's literally no advantage to that and it makes zero sense.

That IS stupid, but it's not really a Star Wars thing. Digital retailers offer preorders on most or all major music releases. Sometimes there are exclusives involved (bonus tracks, or an early download of a few tracks). Sometimes not. It's just another way for them to lock in your purchase.