Does anyone think is new TFA music?

Not Mr. Big

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Old timer here with a new login since I lost the password to my original and no longer have the email address that was used for it. Anyway, came across this in my internet travels and while it has a passing resemblance to JW's style, it doesn't sound that much like his work, but it is TFA related so you never know.

Hi all,
Old timer here with a new login since I lost the password to my original and no longer have the email address that was used for it. Anyway, came across this in my internet travels and while it has a passing resemblance to JW's style, it doesn't sound that much like his work, but it is TFA related so you never know.

It's not Williams and it's not from TFA.

Is there even a precedent for Williams scoring merchandise commercials? I wasn't old enough - and didn't care enough - during the prequel years to pay attention. If Williams scored individual commercials then, I can see the cause for concern now. But I don't see one if they simply lifted music he had already written for the film(s) or from third part music libraries. If that's the case now (which it seems to be), it has nothing to do with Williams but rather a decision by Disney and/or the merchandising companies manufacturing the products.

To me, it makes sense that they would ask Williams to score the main trailers for the film but use something else for the "lesser" commercials, teasers, and the like. I mean think about it, if they use TFA's music for commercials, they must have a rather limited selection to choose from compared to using existing music. If they did that for every commercial between this summer and December 18, they'd be using the same music over and over again. Therefore, if they'll use TFA's music at all before the film is released it most likely won't be for petty merchandise commercials. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense that they would use TFA's music for certain product commercials *after* the film hits theaters; for example, the home video release advertisements.

tl;dr - Stop being paranoid and just think about this all logically. Using third party music for petty merchandising commercials and 15 second teasers is not indicative of Williams health and well being. Probably.

Is there even a precedent for Williams scoring merchandise commercials? I wasn't old enough - and didn't care enough - during the prequel years to pay attention. If Williams scored individual commercials then, I can see the cause for concern now. But I don't see one if they simply lifted music he had already written for the film(s) or from third part music libraries. If that's the case now (which it seems to be), it has nothing to do with Williams but rather a decision by Disney and/or the merchandising companies manufacturing the products.

To me, it makes sense that they would ask Williams to score the main trailers for the film but use something else for the "lesser" commercials, teasers, and the like. I mean think about it, if they use TFA's music for commercials, they must have a rather limited selection to choose from compared to using existing music. If they did that for every commercial between this summer and December 18, they'd be using the same music over and over again. Therefore, if they'll use TFA's music at all before the film is released it most likely won't be for petty merchandise commercials. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense that they would use TFA's music for certain product commercials *after* the film hits theaters; for example, the home video release advertisements.

tl;dr - Stop being paranoid and just think about this all logically. Using third party music for petty merchandising commercials and 15 second teasers is not indicative of Williams health and well being. Probably.

Paranoid? No, Williams' absence from advertisements is obviously indicative of health troubles.

I believe this is the first time Williams wrote music for a Star Wars trailer. The OT and PT teasers and trailers featured music from the films that came before it. There's a chance the upcoming trailer may feature TFA music, but I have a feeling Williams wrote something specific to the trailer. At least, I hope so. We should be grateful and thankful that Williams took the time write music for the teasers since he doesn't do it very often. Companies like Mashable aren't going to spend a fortune to have Williams write music specifically for their commercials. It would be a waste of money - they want to sell their product, not show off new Williams music at their expense.

People on this forum just like to panic.

It's their way of relieving the stress of the day.

LOL at you for pretending you didn't even though you did.

Nah. Though the car commercial was a pretty good imitation I guess.

I don't think anyone was claiming Williams scored the car commercial, just that it was a bit from the score being used for the commercial.

Doesn't make much difference now since we have our answer!