Jaws 2 (1978) - 2015 2-CD Expanded by Intrada Records!

scallenger

Apples and oranges. The primary function of film music is NOT to be heard on its own.

yes, but sometimes it can be heard on its own and stand on its own without needing the picture.

This is what distinguishes great film music and great composers from just serviceable film music and composers.

Just an FYI, Jaws 2 should be put under the recent releases tab on the main page underneath Star Wars.

It will be there as soon as the gigantic announcement on the main page gets buried by other news.

Also, the link to Lost In Space has Rounds in the title of the link instead of Lost In Space - 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection.

This has been fixed, thanks.

Only 8 of the 14 OST tracks contain just one cue. The other six contain either 2 or 3 cues combined together.

Jay, you going to be able to do another interview type thing with Mike about this one?

Also, the link to Lost In Space has Rounds in the title of the link instead of Lost In Space - 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection.

I emailed you about that weeks ago!

Only 8 of the 14 OST tracks contain just one cue. The other six contain either 2 or 3 cues combined together.

Jay, you going to be able to do another interview type thing with Mike about this one?

Not sure yet, he's really busy right now working on more great CDs!

I emailed you about that weeks ago!

Not sure yet, he's really busy right now working on more great CDs!

Well that's a great reason :)

Nonsense! We've collectively spend a small fortune on him! We are entitled to an interview with the man who's house we bought!

Entitled do you hear me! Entitlement!

Are we certain Jaws is coming next? I don't really give a shit about Jaws 2, but I fully support its reissue since the OST has been OOP for like decades for no good reason and fools like Drax end up paying out the ass to own a legit physical copy. The Varese album has perfect sound and all the highlights as far as I'm concerned. Actually, there's too much music on it as I skip parts. Now, Jaws definitely needs to be redone. To at least have the original album in better sound quality would be great.

The Catamaran Race was always two cues from different parts of the film smashed together. In the new presentation the two cues are called Sailing and More Boating

Thanks Jay,

All these years, I never realized that was two cues.

And that is the magic of John Williams the album producer.

Thank heavens we don't have "album presentations" of classical music too!

I wouldn't like to hear the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony with edits here and there and cutting out of the "unimportant" stuff! :P

Hey I'm with you. It was my subtle attempt at humour.

Tell me about it. Tough crowd.

How am I supposed to know your views on album presentations so that I'll understand that this was a joke?

I don't track everyone's views on everything you know.. ;)

Tell me about it. Tough crowd.

How am I supposed to know your views on album presentations so that I'll understand that this was a joke?

I don't track everyone's views on everything you know.. ;)

You should! Especially mine!

What do you mean?

Yea, Doug never implied their Nov 17 title was bigger than their Nov 3rd, simply that it was a "popular" score and a 2CD set. There are lots of scores that fit that description!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17656&p=1182344

Has anybody here gotten their shipping notification yet?

Nope, they haven't taken the money out of my account yet either. The authorized hold dropped off. So presumably they will do that when it ships out, but I'm still anxiously waiting....

If shipping to Europe is really $13 per 2CD set (Jesus!), I *HIGHLY* recommend you wait for Intrada's November 17 (which seems like it could be JAWS), and December batches before ordering direct from them, and then bundling it all together to save on shipping. $13 per set is insane!

The Jaws 2 clips sound really good - will have to pick this and Jaws 1 up.

Has a Herrmanneque underwater vibe to it:

https://youtu.be/3ANrC1PDDEM?t=295

Also similar to Herrmann's score to "Beneath the 12 Mile Reef", is that both films were horrible with great scores.

No shipping confirmation for me either and I just noticed this on the Intrada Jaws 2 page:

(Back in stock within 1 - 2 weeks)

For anyone else who has listened to this, I actually vastly prefer the album arrangement (which I know is remastered on disc 2). This is one of those rare occasions where I think the album Williams assembled truly makes the score stand out and actually work outside the film. The complete and chronological arrangement honestly feels a bit boring. Not just because of the (mostly) uninteresting new music, but even the rest of the tracks just don't seem to go long enough to create proper momentum. The few times things get lengthy, there are long notes/chords that just go on for far too long. So this is one of those rare cases where most of the micro edits actually were warranted. I know, obviously, these presentations are meant to showcase all the music as in the film, and it is important for people that are HUGE fans of the score. I actually loved hearing it in the film, too, so I was actually really excited for this. I recently had the same kind of experience listening to the (mostly) complete score of Return To Oz. The difference for that one, however, was that it's unreleased music was a lot greater in number and quality. Some scores just drag in their complete form, I have come to realize, and sometimes album arrangements aren't such a bad thing. Hence why I am loving this trend of labels like Intrada and LaLaLand including both.

Not to mention giving those fans who do not own the original album a chance to get it along with the complete score. In the case of Jaws 2 it has been OOP for quite a while.

Some scores just drag in their complete form, I have come to realize, and sometimes album arrangements aren't such a bad thing.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I personally haven't found any complete score dragging when it is composed by a GOOD composer!

(unless it's a minimalistic score)