Jaws 2 (1978) - 2015 2-CD Expanded by Intrada Records!

scallenger

I think that in album presentations the tracks (which many include combined cues, or extended cues) work as individual entities only.

Not always.

I know we have discussed album presentations vs complete scores multiple times but the thing is this:

I think that in album presentations the tracks (which many include combined cues, or extended cues) work as individual entities only.

In a Complete score, the music works as a whole, with a complete structure, and not as individual complete snippets. An individual track may not sound complete like in an album presentation, but if you place it in the whole, its place sounds right and part of a larger structural scheme ......................................

I agree man! :up:

Not always.

Well maybe for him, yes always ;)

They do and so do the tracks from many other album presentations.

There are some people though, myself included who more often than not prefer a C+C presentation as we find it to be a more hearty and well rounded listening experience that has a musical structure and journey from beginning to end rather than a 'best of' disguised as a concert style presentation.

Both have merits though, it's just that those who prefer the album style format tend to whinge a lot more.

Some OSTs are too short simply because the composer was allowed only 30 to 50 minutes to pick out.

For example, Independence Day suffers on album at 50 minutes because so many delicate and rousing highlights were completely axed, such as the First Lady's theme, much of the Area 51 music, the revised final battle, and of course the finale.

The 2-CD is probably one of very few presentations of a complete score I can listen to in one sitting and never become restless. It is, without a doubt, my favourite film score of all time.

If I wanted to make a 75 minute version of the score to fit on one CD, I might accomplish that by axing some of the more fragmented tracks. It'd be a challenge to pick apart.

Yet again, other OSTs feature as much music as I'd ever want like Jaws and ET. They are that satisfying.

They do and so do the tracks from many other album presentations.

There are some people though, myself included who more often than not prefer a C+C presentation as we find it to be a more hearty and well rounded listening experience that has a musical structure and journey from beginning to end rather than a 'best of' disguised as a concert style presentation.

Both have merits though, it's just that those who prefer the album style format tend to whinge a lot more.

Most of the time I agree, too! For example, the new release of Gremlins 2 is a much better experience in complete form. Sure, it has some source music thrown into the main body of the score that I'm sure some would rather skip, but in the case of that score it is so much part of the film that the whole thing works. I never felt any fatigue with it, and I'll probably never listen to the original album again now. It really just depends on the score, and it's obviously all very subjective to whoever is listening. Another example: I still want those missing 3 minutes from Jurassic Park before I'll ever be satisfied. And even I know those missing 3 minutes almost do nothing to really enhance the score, and could even drag it a bit to some. But I still want it, because I love that score and everything it has. But I can actually really understand now if the original album is enough for people.

Now travesties like the original Temple of Doom album, well obviously that's a whole other story...

It works best on the OST, which I think actually contained too much music. It's a situation where the complete score wasn't much longer than the 40 minute running time of a typical OST in that era, so I suppose Williams felt obligated to fill that quota.

Little known fact: I don't intend to get married and I seriously doubt it will ever happen, but in the event that I do, it's required that "The Menu" be playing when we walk down the aisle.

I've listen to this four times already and the complete score works better. I've own the album for so many years and this is the first time I've listen to this score repeatedly. The album felt like it was missing something but know it feels complete.

I just finished listening to the whole 2 disc set and I like this score more all the time. Frankly, it was never really even on my radar much before now. I had probably only listened to it 2-3 times.

I've already listened to the new set that many times!

Yes I believe so. I got a confirmation e-mail with tracking number so I assume my package is on the move.

Mine is set for delivery tomorrow but I won't be able to pick it up until next week. I sent it to a more secure address. Minor annoyance, but hopefully my copy of Jaws will be shipped and delivered by next week as well and I can pick them both up at the same time.

So nice that our postal service is going on strike just now. I am sure they did that just to prevent me from getting my Jaws 2 set ASAP. Those heartless underpaid drones of the postal system. They cannot know the pain in the heart of a film score fan waiting for his preciousss parcel to arrive.

I still have to wait for at least the Black Friday announcements before I have something to bundle and can order the Jaws releases. I'll probably get them a few days after Christmas...

Like second breakfast?

A42D3963-3116-4618-A481-2F456C247D7A_zps

app.jpg

You can have second Christmas then. :)

That's fine. It was annoying when the expanded Home Alone came out. I didn't listen to that until 11 months after I got it.

So nice that our postal service is going on strike just now. I am sure they did that just to prevent me from getting my Jaws 2 set ASAP. Those heartless underpaid drones of the postal system. They cannot know the pain in the heart of a film score fan waiting for his preciousss parcel to arrive.

NOOOO! I totally forgot that! Damn.

I just finished listening to the whole 2 disc set and I like this score more all the time. Frankly, it was never really even on my radar much before now. I had probably only listened to it 2-3 times.

I've already listened to the new set that many times!

Jaws 2 should have deserved much more attention from you than all those post-2000 Williams scores!

I've listen to this four times already and the complete score works better.

Much better indeed (unsurprisingly).

It should be noted that this is the Williams release that has taken longer to expand (37 years!). I cannot believe how such masterpieces are denied the treatment they deserve for so long.

Wow good point. So if Eiger Sanction and Earthquake ever get expanded, those will break the record.

Dracula will tie the record if gets expanded next year, and break the record if it gets expanded after that

Terrific. My tracking information now has an alert that it was undeliverable as addressed. Intrada must have created a shipping label with the wrong zip code because the one showing on the post office website is not mine and did not come from my Intrada account or shipping details on the order.

Mine was still 2 days ago in LA, where it arrived 5 days after being shipped. I'll probably get this and Jaws next year by this rate when you take into account the postal service strike that might possibly be upon us here in Finland. Yay for snail mail!

So my CD will get stuck in the postal service of Helsinki.Great!!

I'm also waiting for my monthly parcel, order from Wien & Vinos, Germany (red wine and a selection of best Cavas)

Normally it should have arrived now... Damn again!

I can see the lazy workers on strike are now drinking my Cavas and listening to my precious Jaws 2 CD... :(

Digital wine just isn't the same as the real deal! No matter what the quality!