Jaws 2 (1978) - 2015 2-CD Expanded by Intrada Records!

scallenger

Still, on the A.I. matter, I have a hunch that the inclusion of the 2 songs was something that was "forced" by the producers.

John Williams was the producer of that OST, like he is on every one of his OST's for decades.

If by 'producer', you mean 'creatively involved', then you are wrong. I don't know any expansion where Williams has been involved in assembling, organizing or otherwise giving any thought to the presentation of the material. That's all the label's work. The 'producer' tag is most likely a contractual obligation because they need him to approve the release, or some other kind of superficial role.

Williams' preferred version is almost always the original release, where he is -- indeed -- a "proper" producer.

In the interviews conducted by Jay for JWFan, Mike Matessino tells clearly that JW gave his own creative input to both Empire of the Sun and A.I. extended editions. Same happened with Hook. So he's not against this approach per se and he actually cares about these things (even though he's surely not into minutiae we often obsess about).

Never said he was against it either. Otherwise, he wouldn't approve them. My point is that they're not his preferred presentations. You can't compare the 'producer' role he has on the original releases with the socalled 'producer' role on the expansions.

It's like with Elliot Goldenthal. He also came with a litte bit of input on the BATMAN FOREVER expansion, but he prefers albums to be re-arranged for listening. And in THIS case, he told me so himself.

The expanded releases are made mostly for archival/historic preservation and they're aimed mainly toward film music collectors and aficionados, so a different kind of attitude is required for these things in terms of producing and presentation. So in this sense JW likely lets other people decide what is best, giving his own input wherever he feels is necessary.

The expanded releases are made mostly for archival/historic preservation and they're aimed mainly toward film music collectors and aficionados, so a different kind of attitude is required for these things in terms of producing and presentation. So in this sense JW likely lets other people decide what is best, giving his own input wherever he feels is necessary.

I can agree with that extent of involvement. The initiative does not come from Williams himself, and the work in creating and assembling the album is done by the labels. Then he comes in to maybe suggest a thing or two, and give the approval stamp. It's more like an editor proofreading an article. To me, though, it doesn't really qualify as a creative involvement the way we usually apply to 'album producers' of the traditional kind.

I simply think he's just peaceful toward these things and he doesn't obsess over it, be an OST album produced by himself or a complete release produced by a specialty label. As he said so many times, his mind is always on the music he's writing at the moment more than into the music he wrote in the past.

I've long since given up being excited about these announcements, as they're almost always about expansions, not premiere releases. But to those who didn't get JAWS 2 the first time around (I hear it's hard to come by), it's no doubt a great opportunity.

85 quid here:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171952947582&alt=web

Ouch. If that's representative of the going rate in the current secondary market, I can understand why it's sought-after. I remember when I got it in the late 90s, it was starting to become a BIT rare, but far from this situation.

Time to pop your copy on eBay before the Intrada release? ;)

They'll have to pry it out of his cold hands!

I'm guessing Williams signed off on the A.I. expansion (if that's a prerequisite), just to be "nice", but his version of the music was already released in 2001.

What about the FYC promo? Surely if the album was his preferred presentation of the score, he wouldn't have allowed a 2-disc arrangement to be presented for consideration ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't actually heard this one, mostly due to its steep prices on the secondary market. Word of mouth has always been pretty positive though, so count me in!

I've listened many times, but not on a physical CD because it costs so much on the secondary market, and when I finally bought one on ebay for $40, it turned out to be a fake and not the real deal.

This new version can't arrive soon enough!

I'm glad it contains the original album program. PLUS alternates, it says!

I am a fan of quiet CDs. Makes it even more involving when the punchy loud bits kick in.

If the CD is quiet then there are no loud bits!

I am a fan of quiet CDs. Makes it even more involving when the punchy loud bits kick in.

If the CD is quiet then there are no loud bits!

Not true! When there is no quiet, there can be no loud. When there is no loud, there can be no quiet.

The tracklist will be posted Monday night at the same time it goes up for order.

Intrada titles go up at a random time between 7PM EST and 8PM EST, BTW.

But when it goes from quiet to loud, back to quiet, and then to loud again, and so on... then there is emotion!

That's not emotion! that's a reflex!

Ofcourse Roger doesn't actually state that it's Jaws 2. Its all speculation

Are you freaking serious with that post?