Filmharmonic Brass Plays the Music of John Williams (Kickstarter Project)

Ricard

The Filmharmonic Brass, a group of seven of the top brass players from New York who exclusively perform and record film music, is running a Kickstarter campaign for their debut album ‘The Music of John Williams’, which is set to include all-new arrangements of music from Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones, and many more.

The ensemble is the brainchild of Dominic Derasse, who has been recorded on over 70 motion picture soundtracks including Mission to Mars, Batman Forever, Aladdin andBeauty & the Beast.

Visit their Kickstarter Campaign page for more details (Includes video presentation)

I hope they play something that isn't among the greatest hits too, like when Denver Brass recorded the first version of the Winter Games Fanfare on their Williams CD a few years ago. A proper version of "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis" would be cool, but fat chance -- I know.

The Filmharmonic Brass, a group of seven of the top brass players from New York who exclusively perform and record film music, is running a Kickstarter campaign for their debut album ‘The Music of John Williams’, which is set to include all-new arrangements of music from Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones, and many more.

From reading the statement (check the bold section), I'm assuming this is a Williams' Greatest Hits arranged for brass septet, period.

If we get something unreleased/unrecorded would be an arrangement for this kind of ensemble.

At any rate, I do plan on supporting this, though only closer to the end date, due to some other expenses that have priority.

• 1 year later...

It's not on Spotify, but for we brave few who use Google Play Music to stream music it is there:

https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser#/album/Bufqcenzfcxmwzzrbs3ry3zoj6m/Filmharmonic+Brass/Filmharmonic+Brass+Plays+John+Williams

I thought the brass arrangement of the Jurassic Park theme was very lovely here.  I was very happy to hear "Anakin's Theme," which is such a beautiful piece but one of if not the least played Star Wars concert arrangement.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I was very happy to hear "Anakin's Theme," which is such a beautiful piece but one of if not the least played Star Wars concert arrangement.

Are you trying to provoke King Mark? 

I'm a trumpet player for a living. We actually played Adventures on Earth and the SW suite (both official JW versions)this weekend with my orchestra. JW is literally the reason why I play trumpet. Saw SW in 1977 when I was 7. When it was time to pick an instrument in high school, the choice was easy...

that being said, I'm not a fan of those brass arrangements. JW said many times that he considers the orchestra the instrument he writes for. Rearranging his stuff to me is very bizarre. It never sounds right. 

Listening to the full album now, it has ups and downs but mostly downs. I'm not a big fan of brass only ensembles in general. The sound often feels limited, especially when interpreting pieces that are meant for a full orchestra. The whole thing comes across a bit muddled. The recording quality is quite nice though, its just the range and timbre of the brass only ensemble isn't very satisfying to listen to. Schindler's List Theme and Anakin's Theme are pretty rough to listen to. I think the pieces themselves are not well suited to a brass only rendition.

Good on them for making this album, just not my thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 8:30 AM, Disco Stu said:

It's not on Spotify, but for we brave few who use Google Play Music to stream music it is there:

https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser#/album/Bufqcenzfcxmwzzrbs3ry3zoj6m/Filmharmonic+Brass/Filmharmonic+Brass+Plays+John+Williams

I thought the brass arrangement of the Jurassic Park theme was very lovely here.  I was very happy to hear "Anakin's Theme," which is such a beautiful piece but one of if not the least played Star Wars concert arrangement.

Sweet thanks for the tip, gives me something to do with my 4 free months of Google Play streaming