Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

The Amazon entry for the Vinyl box set actually looks completely correct! 11 LPs is exactly what you'd need to hold all the OSTs.

LP1 = first half of TPM OST

LP2 = second half of TPM OST

LP3 = first half of AOTC OST

LP4 = second half of AOTC OST

LP5 = first half of ROTS OST

LP6 = second half of ROTS OST

LP7 = Star Wars original LP1

LP8 = Star Wars original LP2

LP9 = The Empire Strikes Back original LP1

LP10 = The Empire Strikes Back original LP2

LP11 = Return of the Jedi original LP

And the track listing they posted exactly lines up with that

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NOT9AY/

I figured it out!

It looks like the CD box set will have the exact same track list as the LP box set, they simply didn't enter 3 of the discs, and put "Battle In The Snow" in the wrong place. See here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CmYHjyOlykay-cD_PxWp3sEx88QfRgKBrlXEl_eNlAY/pubhtml

Makes sense.

Essentially this release isnt really interesting for most of us here. With the exception of a first-time-ever release of the TESB original soundtrack on CD, which does tickle my collector's nerve.

Everything else is already out there, and fairly easy to obtain at a fraction of the cost.

Sony doesn't have access to any unreleased music.

Sony will not be getting any of my money for any of these re-issues.

I'll wait for proper expansions after Sony's contract ends.

~

It's also lame they are splitting all but ROTJ over 2 CDs when each fits on 1.... One of the lamest things I've heard in a while.

Some more news on the vinyl:

Early next year, Sony Music Classical will release the original soundtracks of Star Wars Episodes I – VI in new extensive deluxe vinyl and CD box sets.

Star Wars: The Ultimate Vinyl Collection will be an 11LP box and includes each of John Williams’ six film soundtracks from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace to Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi in deluxe gatefold sleeves faithfully replicating the original artwork.

The audio for these was transferred from the original masters using the highest resolution (up to 192kHz/24bit) and pressed on 180gram vinyl. The records come in a black, soft-touch laminated slipcase with an embossed, hot silver foil Star Wars logo and includes a digital download card for one complete box set (all six soundtracks). This is the first time all six Star Wars original soundtracks have been available on vinyl in one complete box set.

bolding is mine

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/john-williams-star-wars-ultimate-soundtrack-collection-box-sets

Some more news on the vinyl:

Early next year, Sony Music Classical will release the original soundtracks of Star Wars Episodes I – VI in new extensive deluxe vinyl and CD box sets.

Star Wars: The Ultimate Vinyl Collection will be an 11LP box and includes each of John Williams’ six film soundtracks from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace to Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi in deluxe gatefold sleeves faithfully replicating the original artwork.

The audio for these was transferred from the original masters using the highest resolution (up to 192kHz/24bit) and pressed on 180gram vinyl. The records come in a black, soft-touch laminated slipcase with an embossed, hot silver foil Star Wars logo and includes a digital download card for one complete box set (all six soundtracks). This is the first time all six Star Wars original soundtracks have been available on vinyl in one complete box set.

bolding is mine

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/john-williams-star-wars-ultimate-soundtrack-collection-box-sets

"up to 192kHz/24bit"?? 44.1kHz/16bit is "up to" that amount. :lol:

And assuming that the PT scores were recorded digitally, at something less than or equal 192kHz/24bit, then this statement is valid only for the analog-sourced OT scores.

Well, at least they found the OT's original album masters, and those aren't lost to time

Hopefully the full recording sessions masters will be found in perfect condition too

Well, at least they found the OT's original album masters, and those aren't lost to time

Hopefully the full recording sessions masters will be found in perfect condition too

Lucasfilm keep everything, i'd be very surprised if they didn't have all the recordings.

So wait, this has the original ESB album?? If it's done right, that'd be awesome, but what in the fuck? Sounds like an absolutely horrendous release otherwise.

Why horrendous? Its been decades since the OST's for the original trilogy were released.

This makes more sense then yet another SE rerelease

Actually the CD boxset version looks like will be the just the remastered OSTs too (9 CDs and 1 DVD)

The Amazon listing says 10 CDs + 1 DVD, not 9CDs + 1 DVD.

When I looked and posted the link before, the press blurb on Amazon said 9 CDs and 1 DVD, so I guess they amended it later.

Nice to see the original trilogy OSTs remastered, but this is again the victory of mere repackaging. I sincerely hope this will be Sony's last round at milking the Star Wars music cow.

Lucasfilm keep everything, i'd be very surprised if they didn't have all the recordings.

The master for ROTJ's sail barge source music and Lapti Nek film version is completely lost to time.

And both the 1993 and 1997 ROTJ expansions were clearly sourced from later-generation tapes, not the original masters.

Wow! Amazon has updated the track list on the CD version!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NOT9FY

Basically, it now indicates this structure:

Disc 1 = TPM OST

Disc 2 = AOTC OST

Disc 3 = ROTS OST

Disc 4 = ROTS DVD

Disc 5/6 = 1997 ANH SE

Disc 7/8 = 1997 TESB SE

Disc 9/10 = 1997 ROTJ SE

Disc 11 = bonus interview disc

WTF Sony?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CmYHjyOlykay-cD_PxWp3sEx88QfRgKBrlXEl_eNlAY/pubhtml

Wow! Amazon has updated the track list on the CD version!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NOT9FY

Basically, it now indicates this structure:

Disc 1 = TPM OST

Disc 2 = AOTC OST

Disc 3 = ROTS OST

Disc 4 = ROTS DVD

Disc 5/6 = 1997 ANH SE

Disc 7/8 = 1997 TESB SE

Disc 9/10 = 1997 ROTJ SE

Disc 11 = bonus interview disc

WTF Sony?

Woof

As much as it's not really interesting for us, that's the only distribution that made sense to me

You know, the more I think about it, I don't even know if Sony has the rights to the original SW/TESB/ROTJ LP configurations? What if they only have the rights to RCA's 1997 versions?

The Vinyls do look beautiful. The collector in me might want those

You might want to save your money for something other than these "Ultimate Editions".

For starters, they will have less music than the Special Editions because these are the "originals" so to speak which also means that ROTJ will return as a one LP product, as it was originally issued back in 1983, for various stupid reasons.

Same goes for the PT albums-nothing special, just another cash grab.

Also the fact that Sony thinks that EVERYONE likes all six soundtracks, which ain't true. Even 20th was aware of this fact, as concerned the movies which is why they split them up into two groups back in 2010.

The Vinyls do look beautiful. The collector in me might want those

You might want to save your money for something other than these "Ultimate Editions".

For starters, they will have less music than the Special Editions because these are the "originals" so to speak which also means that ROTJ will return as a one LP product.

Which have/had better sound quality than the SE's and had Williams involvement

At some point, you can't help wondering if they're just trolling us diehards. All six scores deserve complete, definitive, high-quality releases, and none of them have gotten that treatment.

Bingo.