Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

Man so much pomp and circumstance from SONY for a crap release...

Missed opportunity again!

It actually hurts.

Not a missed opportunity. Sony didnt have any opportunity to release anything new. It was never gonna happen this year guys. It's been stated time and again now.

It makes you wonder to whom exactly such a release is aimed to, actually. Even Star Wars fans who are not into film music as much as us are probably waiting for more prequel music to be officially released, so they're going to be disappointed as well. The fancy LP boxset will probably be enough to tickle several collectors' compulsion, but it's gonna be quite expensive. The reappearance of the OST assemblies for the original three is enough to push the nostalgia button for some, but in that sense it would be nice to have those available as single items. Anyway, every SW and JW fan has those in some format already, so it's not like it's really something we were waiting for. The big risk is that this thing won't sell as much as they'd love to, so they're gonna have so much unsold stock for years and this perhaps won't push Lucasfilm to plan further soundtrack re-releases for at least the next few years.

The fancy LP boxset will probably be enough to tickle several collectors' compulsion, but it's gonna be quite expensive.

For some of these collectors the price will actually be an indication of quality rather then something that would put them off. It fits with the whole retro vinyl hipster scene.

Interresting for ESB to have, at last, the montages "Heroics of Han & Luke" and "Rebels at Bay" that where on the original LPs! But if I understand well, this version of ESB will only be available on the LPs and the Digital Collection, right?

And brand new transfers taken from the original LP Masters, that could sound fine!

That's the only new things I see there.

Sorry to quote me, but as I said earlier, the song list of the Digital Collection on iTunes indicate for the moment that they will use the LPs content.

That means brand new transfers taken from the LP Masters.

This IS new.

62 Episode V - Star Wars (Main Theme) John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

63 Episode V - Yoda's Theme John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

64 Episode V - The Training of a Jedi Knight John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

65 Episode V - The Heroics of Luke and Han John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

66 Episode V - The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

67 Episode V - Departure of Boba Fett John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

68 Episode V - Han Solo and the Princess John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

69 Episode V - Hyperspace John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

70 Episode V - The Battle in the Snow John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

71 Episode V - The Asteroid Field John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

72 Episode V - The City in the Clouds John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

73 Episode V - Rebels at Bay John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

74 Episode V - Yoda and the Force John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

75 Episode V - The Duel John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

76 Episode V - The Magic Tree John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

77 Episode V - Lando's Palace John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

78 Episode V - Finale John Williams & London Symphony Orchestra

IMHO, the original SW double LP program flows very well and it's surely a great presentation. TESB is lovely too, but it works much less better than SW--some of the edits are really jarring and too arbitrary to my ears. I think much of its "legendary" status lies more within the fact it's been unavailable for many years and we only had the scant 40-mins version available.

That being said, the OT works best in complete form for all three films, imho. The whole narrative arc and the inner musical architecture of each score are so much more fleshed out in that format.

Wha? What do you think, I robbed a store?

I'm saying that I own the original LPs, from 1977 and 1980 respectively. The actual vinyl records, in the full original sleeves and covers.

I would never use the word "own" to talk about illegal bootleg files. Are you mental?

I own the original LPs of the original trilogy, but SW and TESB are actually signed by Williams, so having modern backups of the records to preserve the originals would be nice...

I didn't spend a ton of money on my SW and TESB 2LP sets, I think maybe $4-$5 each, like 15 years ago or something.

And no, I don't own a turntable and don't plan to.

No, never.

You clearly not a man of your time.

Just bought Davel Pell 2011 Fresh Sound Records compilation on iTunes.

That's really my kind of music.

To date the only piece of film music that's only available digitally and not on pressed CD that I really want is Giacchino's Cloverfield, Toy Story of Terror, Tilton's SimCity and its expansion, and the bonus tracks from the 20th Anniversary Jurassic Park release. I will be patient and wait for those to come to CD some day.

That's why I don't like it. On my hard drive, there's little difference between some file I bought and some file I illegally downloaded.

With CDs, I either own the plastic or I don't. And I've been building my film score CD collection since 1994, and I will continue to build it as CDs until they stop pressing them.

I had a period a few years ago when I bought a lot of digital albums, and I soon regretted that. I now buy them physically when I find them for a few £s on ebay.

The one exception I made recently was The Homesman. The CD was pricey at the time, but I could get it in lossless from Qobuz for £8, and I don't like it in its entirety (large parts are a bit dull) so I could live with that. Will I regret that at some point in the future and buy the CD cheaply? Probably. But it was also a choice between waiting 2 weeks for the CD, or an immediate download which sounds identical.

I also buy individual flacs from Qobuz for random songs I like, where it's clearly not worth buying the whole CD.

You physical media people are so behind the times. You don't own the music you buy - you're just renting it! And the shelves your CDs are cluttering up could be better used to display an arty ornament or a vase of flowers instead.

I just ripped all my CDs to my phone and threw them all in the trash. Who needs 'em?

Vase of flowers? Flowers die and aggravate allergies! The purchase of plastic discs only serves to exacerbate our consumption of fossil fuels, pushing us to either improved fuels and consumer products or to a worldwide dark age!

It actually hurts.

If the CD versions don't feature the content of the useless LPs and lossy digital downloads (here's hoping for high-res versions!), then we've got a serious problem. Or if, for instance, the remastering is bad. That is a cause for concern. But this is actually a big deal for many of us who have been waiting years for the original album versions of these scores to be reissued. Well, Jedi basically sounds perfect on the original 1983 RSO CD pressed in West Germany. Indeed, it's never sounded better. Still curious to hear what they've done with it. The original Star Wars album as pointlessly presented on 2 CDs in a thick jewel case sounds raw. Again, curious to hear what they've done with it. As for Empire, sound quality has always been dubious on CD, with the LP version clearly having the best overall mix and most pleasing sound. It would be nice to retire the LP transfers and classic truncated CD version.

People who are destined to be bad parents should use that philosophy and just buy picture frames for display and keep the stock photos of kids in them. That photo will never need a diaper change and quit college on you.

I'am a collector and only recently have started collecting LPs. Mostly for nostalgia sake as I like the Jackets too. I still do not have a turntable to myself but when the budget allows me I will make the investment. But before that I need to upgrade from PS3 to PS4! Only recently I paid $100 + shipping for the rare OOP Sealed copy of DCC's RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK LP. ( I had friend send me his VInyl rip in lossless for me to enjoy in the meantime time) I already have EMPIRE OF THE SUN, SUPERMAN, and the original OST LP of RAIDERS which I picked off from Amoeba store in LA some 4 years ago!.

Listening to analogue has its own charms. While the higher fidelity realms is definitely in the CD/ Blu ray medium, I'll say. Both EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and STAR WARS have been on my want list for quite some time. So this whole new re-mastered VINYL set will be eyed with great interest.

I'am a collector and only recently have started collecting LPs. Mostly for nostalgia sake as I like the Jackets too. I still do not have a turntable to myself but when the budget allows me I will make the investment. But before that I need to upgrade from PS3 to PS4! Only recently I paid $100 + shipping for the rare OOP Sealed copy of DCC's RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK LP. ( I had friend send me his VInyl rip in lossless for me to enjoy in the meantime time) I already have EMPIRE OF THE SUN, SUPERMAN, and the original OST LP of RAIDERS which I picked off from Amoeba store in LA some 4 years ago!.

Listening to analogue has its own charms. While the higher fidelity realms is definitely in the CD/ Blu ray medium, I'll say. Both EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and STAR WARS have been on my want list for quite some time. So this whole new re-mastered VINYL set will be eyed with great interest.

I'm such a nerd, I read your last line "Will be eyed with great interest" in Palpatine's Voice when Palpatine says to Anakin in Ep.1 - "We will watch your career with great interest"

At this point, I'd have to imagine the Amazon listing is correct, meaning it contains the 1997 SEs again, and not the original LP configurations.

I don't have a list handy. I think "Rescue of The Princess" is the most noticable one, if I recall correctly.

Chris Malone's wonderful analysis Recording the Star Wars Saga has all the answers.

That is an excellent resource and wonderful read. Definitely worth checking out.