Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

28 minutes ago, Drax said:

I never really cared much for ROTJ until I bought the OST through eBay last year. Since then, it has become my most listened to SW score. I love the track selection, order and most importantly sound quality.

Of course you do!

3 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Sure, and that's absolutely okay and I respect that. But in this case it's hard for me to understand.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Anthology, but it didn't make me want to listen to ROTJ over and over like the OST did.

1 minute ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

What the hell? I love the ROTJ OST with the exception of Lapti Nek, but I'm not trying to be noticed. I also love the Anthology and Charles Gerhardt versions!

That's just Mr Cosmo on the warpath trying to demonise anyone with differing or even controversial viewpoints.

6 minutes ago, Drax said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Anthology, but it didn't make me want to listen to ROTJ over and over like the OST did.

It has a very very nice selection of tracks and I listen to it also very often. It's just that the Anthology version has some must have tracks for me. And I'm very glad the soundquality is also good.

Jedi is a fantastic OST! I'm sorry if you don't agree, but you have numerous other versions to choose to listen to, or tolerate in the case of the RCA set. I'll never understand why everyone has to listen to the 2 hour version and shun the perfect and valid 40 minute OST presentation. Love that album.

It's probably the worst of the Williams OST's of that period. Even moreso then Temple Of Doom.

It's too short, has too many concert tracks, a stupid disco song and there's no sense of any narrative structure. It's just a bunch of individual tracks slapped on an album. Atleast the SW and TESB OST releases were trying to tell a story.

What?  No, you're completely wrong!

The LP remasters (in the vinyl and digital collections) are newly remastered and sound great.

The CD collection is the same old 1997 CDs repackaged again.

Really? It's pretty clear to me he's reviewing the new remasters of the OST LPs, and not the 2CD sets...

I'm not sure how you got confused...

The presentation of the music itself does not offer musically anything new as such (naturally they contain less music than the complete double CD incarnations of these scores) but rather give you the chance to experience the music of Star Wars trilogy in the same form as it was originally released back in 1977, 1980 and 1983 (and the Prequel scores in 1999, 2002 and 2005). And it is undeniably a wonderful ride. So as far as the Star Wars: The Ultimate Soundtrack Collection in its digital form goes, I think it caters well to both the casual fans of these films and their wonderful music and to the more audiophile John Williams collectors and Star Wars enthusiasts who wish to take another aurally improved listen to these beloved classics.

Perhaps the most important aspect of these new releases is the sound quality, which I am happy to say, is pretty terrific.

What is "these"? For me it's not clear that the writer speak about the LP set that he was talking about, not in the precedent paragraph... but at the very end of the other one before. Ah paragraphs and pronouns...

I'm happy if it's clear for the others!

These = the new LP remasters.

Sony doesn't have access to the original session recordings, so they cannot do proper complete releases.  All they've been doing since 2004 is repacking the 1997 CDs originally released by RCA, and the current CD version of the Ultimate Collection is no exception.

They DID have the rights and access to the original LP Masters, so for the VINYL and DIGITAL collection they remastered those and included those INSTEAD of the 1997 2CD sets, and they sound amazing!

Many of us want them to release these LP remasters on CD, but of course Sony never will.  You can buy them on iTunes for $11 each I believe, or on sites like HDTracks, qobuz, 7digital, etc in higher resolution.  Or you can buy them on vinyl but I personally have no interest in that at all.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but very few have posted opinions about the sound quality of the new remasters of the OT. Incanus seem to be of the opinion that all three soundtracks are an improvement upon both the anthology and the 1997 SE CDs. (Great review by the way - a joy to read :).)

For lack of a better word , I think that the sound for these remasters sounds "old". I imagine that this is the way they would sound if I actually played the 33 rpm. I guess it's a matter of preference, but in the case of ANH and ROTJ this type of sound doesn't do the soundtrack any favors. In my opinion, between the three different releses (Anthology, 1997 SE and the digital collection) I would prefer ANH and ROTJ to any of the two other releases rather than these new digital remasters.

Maybe it's just me, that I'm not used to this "wetter" remix as Incanus describes it...

I think if you scroll page through the recent pages there's been a handful of opinions posted about the sound quality of the new remasters.

Most people seem to have favorable opinions.  I think they sound really good.  But I thought something sounded weird with the Star Wars remaster with headphones on, in terms of stereo separation.

I'd still rather have a properly assembled complete score reissue by a capable producer over this, but I'm glad this exists too and I wish Sony made them available on CD.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'd still rather have a properly assembled complete score reissue by a capable producer over this, but I'm glad this exist too and I wish Sony made them available on CD.

Agreed.

I agree with most members here regarding Empire Strikes Back audio quality. The original album program is a really interesting way to enjoy the score, and the remaster really benefits the music. There are details in this higly coloristic orchestration that I've never heard before.

But the Finale was the down point for me, being one of my favorite pieces from the score. The most delicate details were completely lost, like the harp glissandi at the very begining, practically inaudible in this release. The horns and low strings are unbalanced with the rest of the orchestra, and stand out inappropriately at times when they should be supporting the high strings. This is especially audible in the last exposition of Han and Leia's theme. Finally, in the Imperial March, at 4:25, something I don't know how to describe happens with the audio, destabilising itself for a good couple of seconds.

I still enjoyed it, and wish we had this on CD!

I actually agree about the ESB Finale, although I still love that clunky awkward analog edit when the Imperial March fanfare begins! That moment redeems it for me, but it clearly sounds better on the Anthology.

Im sure at some point the OST versions of the original trilogy will make it to the cd format. It would be nice to have them as counterparts to the expanded sets albeit with original artwork etc. 

8 minutes ago, azahid said:

Im sure at some point the OST versions of the original trilogy will make it to the cd format. It would be nice to have them as counterparts to the expanded sets albeit with original artwork etc. 

Do you mean the Polydor CDs?

I still don't believe it Sony re-release star wars again.as a big fan of john Williams ,JW fans would like the complete scores to star wars episode 2 and 3  people like me would like to be able to buy a standard one disk. plus if you what  The Ultimate Soundtrack with all the score ,like what they did with the hobbit soundtracks. still wanting  the first three harry potter complete scores. Just unfair to die hard fans.....

On 22/1/2016 at 0:46 PM, Zaralyth said:

Do you mean the Polydor CDs?

Im talking about the new re-masters of the Vinyl release ORIGINAL TRILOGY. And as Stefancos noted the original EMPIRE 2LP set was never released on cd 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally caved a couple of days ago and ordered the Ultimate Vinyl Collection (thanks tax return!).  It should be arriving today and I am so excited.  I've actually never heard the original soundtrack releases for the OT. The '97 editions were the first Star Wars soundtracks I ever purchased.

Yub nub!

No, it's literally the same old CDs in a new box.  There is no difference in audio whatsoever.

The only thing worthwhile that came from this project was their terrific remastering of the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 original trilogy OST LPs, but they only released those digitally and on vinyl; The OT CDs in the CD box set is the 1997 RCA 2CD sets again.

19 hours ago, Woj said:

I bought it. We need to show the record companies that we'll buy anything. 

Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg