Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

I was actually thinking of getting the vinyl set. It looks very nice and I never had the original albums.

But then, I sort of think to myself... why?

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but I might as well spend that money on something I haven't heard yet?

Karol

Go do that son! You just go ahead and do that.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Sony Vinyl LP collection is also coming out separately on different dates. A LIMITED Gold plated Vinyl edition of STAR WARS A NEW HOPE ! just got listed on Amazon.co.uk. EMPIRE & JEDI are also coming out on Vinyl. Looks like the same content as in the Ultimate Vinyl box set.

716sEkYYfDL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Episode-LIMITED-EDITION-VINYL/dp/B01CVFE8UY?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=pe_1965711_128123241_em_1p_5_ti

I wonder how it really looks. I still think is a deserving treatment for such an iconic score, but I cannot help but being afraid that all these multiple releases on various formats will make a complete release of the seven scores far more difficult, at least in the near future.

On 1/28/2016 at 3:21 AM, hanser said:

Has anybody heard the Harrison Ford and JW interviews on the bonus CD yet? Is there a transcript somewhere? What do they say?

Yeah, what were these?

So in regards to the Gold Vinyl pressings from Sony- will this gold pressing add to any improvement in the sound quality on the Vinyl player? 

Also now that Sony has issued the LP contents separately I have a feeling they might also reissue them on cd format separately? Milking the cash one more time before they relinquish the rights back to Lucasfilm and Disney.

Especially since Sony did a great job with the remastering (along with SW and ROTJ) and didn't screw up the sound at all

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Especially since Sony did a great job with the remastering (along with SW and ROTJ) and didn't screw up the sound at all

I agree, except for the Empire Strikes Back Finale, as I've already stated a few posts back, it was a dissapointment for me, at least.

But as a whole, it sounds great. I discovered material that I had never heard before, and was greatly surprised, for example, at the level of detail in The Emperor. It makes me wonder why Williams scored that noisy scene in such a delicate and detailed fashion.

4 hours ago, Scarpia said:

I agree, except for the Empire Strikes Back Finale, as I've already stated a few posts back, it was a dissapointment for me, at least.

Well, the Polydor CD had that issue as well IIRC.

I still cannot fathom how they managed to press that first EMPIRE cd using a single LP configuration and starting the program with the side B!

Who in the world would even approve such a major mistake?

The CD program isn't entirely illogical; It's the concert suite followed a selection of film cues.

7 hours ago, azahid said:

I still cannot fathom how they managed to press that first EMPIRE cd using a single LP configuration and starting the program with the side B!

Who in the world would even approve such a major mistake?

The CD program originates from the 1980 US Demo LP (who also served for international releases), it's organized like a single or an EP. After all on a vinyl, the outter grooves are the parts where the sound is better. Note that even on the original double LP, The Imperial March was also putted as the first track of a side (B1).

As a demo, the purpose is also to identify the two major cues : The Imperial March and Star Wars Theme.

Now, why The Imperial March before the Theme?  Because it's a sequel... the Theme was already known (and used at every sauce) since 1977.  The novelty here is The Imperial March!

p_rs24201.jpg

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [The Original Soundtrack From The Motion Picture] / London SO (1980, RSO, RS-2-4201)

DISC 1: Star Wars (Main Theme); Yoda's Theme; The Training Of A Jedi Knight; The Heroics Of Luke And Han; The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme); Departure Of Boba Fett; Han Solo And The Princess; Hyperspace; The Battle In The Snow; DISC 2: The Asteroid Field; The City In The Clouds; Rebels At Bay; Yoda And The Force; The Duel; The Magic Tree; Lando's Palace; Finale.

(Reissued in 1980, Polydor, 827-580-1)

p_rpo4201.jpg

(Released from promo in 1980, RSO, RPO-4201)

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme); Yoda's Theme; The Asteroid Field; Han Solo And The Princess; Finale; Star Wars (Main Theme); Yoda And The Force; The Training Of A Jedi Knight; The Duel; Lando's Palace.

p_8252982.jpg

(Reissued in 1985, Polydor, 825 298-2)

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme); Yoda's Theme; The Asteroid Field; Han Solo And The Princess; Finale; Star Wars (Main Theme); Yoda And The Force; The Training Of A Jedi Knight; The Duel; Lando's Palace.

Ultimate Edition digital download on sale today (April 29, 2016)  for $3.99 at Amazon. No idea how long the sale will last. This is a good deal for any JWFan forum member who doesn't already own the scores for Episodes 1-6. I pity the fool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DDE6U4?tag=igndeals14-20

43 minutes ago, EdwardHall said:

Ultimate Edition digital download on sale today (April 29, 2016)  for $3.99 at Amazon. No idea how long the sale will last. This is a good deal for any JWFan forum member who doesn't already own the scores for Episodes 1-6. I pity the fool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DDE6U4?tag=igndeals14-20

Link says $39.99, not $3.99

I wish I had taken a screenshot yesterday because it did actually say $3.99 on Amazon.com. Amazon must have made a pricing error and fixed it quickly. Here is a screenshot of IGN's original announcement of the sale, which has since been crossed out. I imagine that only a few fortunate people may have been able to buy the albums at $3.99

https://twitter.com/igndeals

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.05.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.06.13 PM.png

I finally broke down and ordered the LP set. It arrived. i must say the artwork and the quality used is very impressive. Now I don't have a working Turntable yet but as a collector I'am quite pleased to have this piece of music history here.

• 2 years later...

I got Star Wars - The Ultimate Collection vinyl set recently. But the mp3 downloads no longer work. Was anyone else successful in getting their's to work? I listen to the vinyl at home but was really wanting the downloads to take with me in the car, work, travel, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 11:44 AM, Jay said:

Hey here's a video showing of the new vinyl set

It's been online for 3 weeks and I just found out about it now!

I have the older Empire Strikes Back on vinyl.

Image result for empire strikes vinyl

Unfortunately I no longer own a working record player.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen this collection around the web and was thinking about getting it considering its reasonable price. Am I a fool?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, jerlgrain said:

I got Star Wars - The Ultimate Collection vinyl set recently. But the mp3 downloads no longer work. Was anyone else successful in getting their's to work? I listen to the vinyl at home but was really wanting the downloads to take with me in the car, work, travel, etc.

You can still buy the mp3 set.

But I understand you have bought the LPs instead.... LOL what do to do with that??? 😀

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

I've seen this collection around the web and was thinking about getting it considering its reasonable price. Am I a fool?

Only a fool if you already have the discs contained therein (the prequel OSTs and the original trilogy SEs) or if the "reasonable" price isn't very reasonable at all.  It's a mostly great presentation of great music, and there's no telling -when- an archival final version of these scores will happen.

• 4 years later...

This might be old news, but has anyone here ever seen this?

I'd never heard of it until I was listening to one of the later Star Wars Oxygen episodes where it was mentioned - Shawn Murphy gives a lot of information in here about what masters exist and potential excuses for why expansions haven't been made yet.

One especially shocking part that was played on Oxygen was where he claimed that there's music where the original session masters don't exist because they were edited to picture almost immediately after recording

Interesting. The existence of the '97 SE's would kind of directly negate what he said, so I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that.

Also I lost it when the interviewer said "Imperial Walk" and "Leia and Han Love Song". Come on man... :lol:

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

@Disney: Just ask JW for his sketches and do a proper re-recording of all the scores and suites and PUBLISH A PROPER CD SET!!!!!

This could be really cool…

Even a complete collection of the concert suites and arrangements from the Skywalker films, plus spin-offs like Solo and Obi-Wan.

The amount of music JW has composed is staggering, and I think even this selection of pieces would be a great presentation of his work across the saga.

I would buy a massive collection of new performances of his whole “Signature” collection of works, all of his concert suites across his entire filmography - not just Star Wars!

11 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

This might be old news, but has anyone here ever seen this?

I'd never heard of it until I was listening to one of the later Star Wars Oxygen episodes where it was mentioned - Shawn Murphy gives a lot of information in here about what masters exist and potential excuses for why expansions haven't been made yet.

One especially shocking part that was played on Oxygen was where he claimed that there's music where the original session masters don't exist because they were edited to picture almost immediately after recording

So Shawn Murphy mentions that he can hear the difference between a 96kHz and 192kHz audio file, great ears!

Hard to think he's the one who worked on the 2018 demasters...

Can anyone explain what he is meaning when he says sometimes music is 'cut to picture' so quickly that the original audio isn't available after that? I don't get it. 

7 hours ago, Brando said:

Brenster1000 commented on that video 7 years ago: "Just bought the 24/96 hi-res FLAC downloads; started with episode 4 and this is absolutely the best I've heard the score (already have the 1986 Polydor 2CD, the 1993 Anthology box set and the 1997 2CD RCA hardback deluxe Special Edition scores). Safe to say you guys absolutely NAILED this!"ROTFLMAO

Technically true, remember that this is in reference to the vinyl remasters, which were released digitally in 2016... NOT the 2018 demasters.

Sorry, I posted it in the 2018 remasters thread because there were a lot of posts in there about whether or not various masters still exist and in what condition 

5 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Can anyone explain what he is meaning when he says sometimes music is 'cut to picture' so quickly that the original audio isn't available after that? I don't get it. 

Sounds like he's admitting to malpractice.  He talking about editing the masters instead of making a copy first and tossing anything that got edited out.  When I worked in radio, back in the 90s, and edited commercials using a razor blade, I would always make a copy of the original and use the copy to edit.  The very thought of trying to reinsert a piece of tape less than a couple of inches long (and don't let it get inserted backwards!) makes me shudder even all these years later.

On something like ST:TMP, where the post-production was such a time crunch, that might happen, but still...  (ST:TMP made it easy by editing to the music in places.)

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sorry, I posted it in the 2018 remasters thread because there were a lot of posts in there about whether or not various masters still exist and in what condition 

Oh I just now realized this is not the thread I was even thinking of:lol::lol: