Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

1. Depending on the situation:
A. My smartphone (HTC One M8)
B. My 160gb iPod Classic 6th Gen
C. My 32GB iPhone 3GS (essentially an iPod Touch now)

2. Depending on the situation:
A. Sony MDR7506
B. Bluedio R+ Legend
C. Skullcandy Method earbuds
D. Panasonic RPHJE120A In-Ear Headphone

3. We have a Denon AVR3803 A/V Receiver, and Energy 5.1 speaker setup

1. 160 GB iPod Classic (8 years strong!)

2. Sennheiser HD 280 PRO Headphones (These are great.)

3. Sony STR-DG820 receiver (A hand-me-down—I don't love it. Hoping to upgrade sometime.) and some Sony SS-B3000 speakers (they're adequate).

1. N/A

2.JVC HARX700 Precision Sound Full Size Headphones and Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers. Neither are considered "high-end" or anything but they both get the job done pretty well for the price. I'm cautious about spending too much money on headphones given how easily broken they are.

3. Some kind of Sony (?) 5.1 Surround System. I can't put my finger on which one in particular but it's the one with very little control over the bass levels if that rings a bell.

1. No portable audio player. At best, I use my HP laptop, with Senheiser earphones (can't recall the model, but they sell for about 60 euros).

2. For home listening, also Senheiser headphones, HD 598.

3. For my home system, I have an Audio Analogue "Crescendo" amplifier, a Vela CD player, ProAc Studio 118 speakers on Atacama stands. Plus a small fortune on cables. Next I need to upgrade to a proper turntable -- been thinking of a Pro-Ject one, plus the additional pre-amp, also from Pro-Ject.

Hey Josh - Why do you ask?

Just got the Sony High-Res Walkman A17, and I was thinking how incredibly good it sounds... Better than anything I've had before.

Seriously, everybody should get that or at least try it out. You can also stick a 128 GB SD card into it, for a total of 192 GB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OCJRX8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1443512984&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=walkman+a15&dpPl=1&dpID=31E-fv8IZJL&ref=plSrch

Just got the Sony High-Res Walkman A17, and I was thinking how incredibly good it sounds... Better than anything I've had before.

Seriously, everybody should get that or at least try it out. You can also stick a 128 GB SD card into it, for a total of 192 GB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OCJRX8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1443512984&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=walkman+a15&dpPl=1&dpID=31E-fv8IZJL&ref=plSrch

So basically, you just asked other members which audio equipment they are using just to say how awesome yours is? ;)

Seriously, everybody should get that or at least try it out. You can also stick a 128 GB SD card into it, for a total of 192 GB.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OCJRX8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1443512984&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=walkman+a15&dpPl=1&dpID=31E-fv8IZJL&ref=plSrch

I've tried portable equipment, and as time goes by, I feel less and less in need of it. I rather listen to music at home.

But what do you do when you're commuting to and from your job everyday?

For me, that's an hour a day, four times a week, that I fill up with music (or podcasts)

For me, that's an hour a day, four times a week, that I fill up with music (or podcasts)

Well, I usually have a CD on my otherwise crappy car stereo. But lately, as I've been swapping trips with other colleagues, and knowing most of them have a problem with classical music, I don't really turn the player on. On other people's car, if I'm lucky, they won't make me listen to the current pops hits...

A modern JWfan podcast would have to consist of a lengthy diatribe between Incanus, KK., TheGreyPilgim and SafeUnderHill about the relative merits of The Hobbit scores and how they compare to the LOTR trilogy

Nah. KK is not interested in them anymore, and TGP is more interested in "edgy" and "avant-garde" stuff that makes him feel intellectually superior to us.

So that leaves Inky and SUH. Inky will say they are intelligent and sophisticated scores but still a lesser work compared to LOTR, and SUH will lament the fact that not a lot of people love them...

And special guest Mr. Big will be snoring in the background

A modern JWfan podcast would have to consist of a lengthy diatribe between Incanus, KK., TheGreyPilgim and SafeUnderHill about the relative merits of The Hobbit scores and how they compare to the LOTR trilogy

If the conversations weren't about Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (or any single score or series of scores) I'd actually listen to that.

How did I miss this post?!

Nah. KK is not interested in them anymore, and TGP is more interested in "edgy" and "avant-garde" stuff that makes him feel intellectually superior to us.

Of course I still consider them fondly! I just don't have much to say when it comes to discussions about missing bits, slate numbers, microedits, etc etc.

And these scores are full of "edgy", "avant-garde" moments!

I can still do my assigned segment on Shore!

So that leaves Inky and SUH. Inky will say they are intelligent and sophisticated scores but still a lesser work compared to LOTR, and SUH will lament the fact that not a lot of people love them...

Probably along those lines BB, very astute. But nothing less than a lecture of 80 000 words would suffice.

Oh and I make due with an old and crappy Sony hi-fi system and a pair of Sennheiser headphones.

"Definitely not a JWFAN score though", as if to say: "Only someone like me, with superior musical taste, can appreciate such a score. You lowlife peasants better get back to your orchestral trashy stuff..."

Sigh... And to think I once considered you one of the finest members of this community...

Fie on thee! You twist my words and paint me the villain! I meant no such thing!

Wormtongue, I name you!

And I am, and will probably always be, a Shore fanboy at heart!

So it must be!! There is no other way.

Upon further investigation, it turns out I didn't miss this after all...I just had no memory of it.

So it must be!! There is no other way.

Upon further investigation, it turns out I didn't miss this after all...I just had no memory of it.

Are you getting senile on us young man?

I sleep on the train. I hate listening to music while I commute.

It's what makes commuting bearable!

Being able to snooze and hear the purring of the train is enough.

It's like Alex said, listening to music too much can make you immune to it. You have music playing so much, that the mere act of sitting down to listen to music and immerse yourself in it when you're with your stereo ceases to be something special.

Music should be appreciated and absorbed with your undivided attention in a comfortable setting, not background wallpaper for your daily routines.

Ever since my old iPod died, I hardly listen to music on a portable device anymore. When I do, it's on my phone (Sony Xperia Z with accompanying earbuds).

For headphones at home, I usually go for the quite comfortable Sennheiser HD 555.

When I'm working at home, I either listen at my desk on the HD 555 or use AirPlay to stream music to the Yamaha HTR-4065 hooked up to a 5.1 set of Canton speakers in the living room (although I'll only use the two front speakers for stereo music).

Many people just need to have something in the background. They don't really listen intently, but there has to be something there sonically.

Yes, I agree.

And it's reassuring to know that you can listen to your favourite music whenever you have a little spare time or whenever the urge strikes you.

Makes your everyday life a little more interesting and exciting, listening to "Everbody Runs" while riding the subway or "The Jungle Chase" while walking down a crowded street, etc.

It's what makes commuting bearable!

Being able to snooze and hear the purring of the train is enough.

It's like Alex said, listening to music too much can make you immune to it. You have music playing so much, that the mere act of sitting down to listen to music and immerse yourself in it when you're with your stereo ceases to be something special.

Music should be appreciated and absorbed with your undivided attention in a comfortable setting, not background wallpaper for your daily routines.

I agree. I don't like that music has become omnipresent (TV, movies, radio, streets, shops, the forest, ..)