Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

A telltale sign that something's been optically composited is a Godzilla around it. When you have a sequence that takes place in outer space against stars, it's easy to reach a point where those Godzillas don't show up. But when you have a sequence that takes place in a home theater against speakers, every hint of that Godzilla becomes very visible.

45 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

A telltale sign that something's been optically composited is a Godzilla around it. When you have a sequence that takes place in outer space against stars, it's easy to reach a point where those Godzillas don't show up. But when you have a sequence that takes place in a home theater against speakers, every hint of that Godzilla becomes very visible.

You see that, there? That's what they call a "travelling Godzilla".

Suddenly the analog output of my Cambridge Audio CD-player stopped outputting audio. Very strange! It probably costs a few cents to replace some burned up resistor but you know they will charge you at least a 100 Euro for the repair costs (with some made-up story that they had to replace everything). Luckily, the digital output still works. 

40 minutes ago, dougie said:

RCA or XLR?

RCA. The funny thing is that everything appears to be fine, the disc spins, the display give the time and tracks, but ... there's simply no sound. I did some googling, and apparently, this can be an issue with Cambridge Audio CD players. I hope Brexit will hit them hard!

You know, I don't know about this Rotel power amp anymore. It has a shrill, clinical sound that doesn't do film scores much good, where it seems to project a weird treble bias and glassy transparency. I might keep my eyes peeled for a Parasound Halo A21 if someone decides to sell one secondhand. Apparently it has a greater level of warmth and comfort with music.

Unfortunately I've found that Parasound products don't show up on eBay in Australia all that much (they're everywhere in the US however). Either people like to hold onto them or the brand never achieved market saturation like Rotel has. You see Rotel amps flooding Aussie eBay quite often. They're actually fine for general home theatre use, but seem to lack a certain sort of musicality desired for immersive and interactive listening.

Funny, the stores have way more turntables than they have CD players (you really have to look to find one). People really think vinyl is better, don't they? Even Steef has turned into a hipster. What a world! What a world!

36 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Funny, the stores have way more turntables than they have CD players (you really have to look to find one). People really think vinyl is better, don't they? Even Steef has turned into a hipster. What a world! What a world!

I am not a hipster!

48 minutes ago, dougie said:

Are hipsters and hippies the same?

The better question is: Do hipsters refuse to watch movies with digital cinematography? 

No, those are called audiophiles. But, yeah, a hipster doesn't want to be caught dead with a soundbar underneath the TV. He'll be the laughing stock of his community. Like Jurassic Shark said, it'll all about appearance and a soundbar just looks too common. 

Some people are so clueless that they believe soundbars are miracle technology and the be-all and end-all of Hi-Fi. They don't realize it's just meant to be a discrete solution for those who don't want a room full of speakers.

One thing that annoys me is when people called their AV receiver an "amplifier". Well it might have a relatively piddly amplifier on board, but it's really a box full of features. An amplifier is just that, an amplifier.

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The people in my country call that a 'surround versterker' (surround amp). I never bought one. 

Alex, can you tell me the difference a "surround versterker" and a an amp?  And I mean sound wise, if you just use it to pass music from your player to your speakers, without using any of the digital sound processing.

If a stereo amplifier costs 500 Euro, you are mostly paying for just that, quality components and quality circuit design, with the single purpose to turn out an optimal stereo signal. With a surround amp of the same price, you are mostly paying for blunt power together with a lot of bells and whistles (processors, the ability to drive 7 speakers, every possible connection, etc.) So for a surround amp to achieve the same audio quality, you probably need to pay three times as much. 

There's actually so many types.

AV receivers - tend to have a lot of digital audio/video processing. On-board amplification. Multi-channel audio. Can be found at most electronics outlets.

Stereo receivers - in addition to having an on-board amplifier, they usually feature a radio tuner and a DAC.

Stereo integrated amplifier - this is basically a preamp and power amplifier all in one box. I like these a lot. They usually feature nothing else other than volume control, treble/bass control and that's it.

Preamplifier - most of these are just stereo, but mine has stereo and 7.1 inputs. They're processors, they don't amplify.

Power amplifier - basically a plain box that does nothing but allow speakers to draw current. They come in many forms, like monoblocks, two-channel, three-channel, five-channel, (six-channel ones were briefly popular), seven-channel and who knows how many others. Can be connected to a preamp or the preouts from an AV receiver to give that piddly thing more muscle.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I would love a power amplifier. But i would then also need a pre-amp. Do they come with HDMI ports?

You can use an AV receiver as your preamp/processor, and plug a power amp into the AVR's preouts.

But a few brands like Emotiva have preamps with HDMI. They're basically like AVRs but without the amplification components.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, Arpy said:

My new Sony Walkman arrived, will update this post later when I have a bit more time! What I can say now though, is that it sounds brilliant, really brings the music to life in a way my phone couldn't.

Hey @Arpy would like to hear your feedback on this player.  I'm considering buying it myself and ditching iTunes all together LOL

At $178 I'm definitely considering it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765ZVM6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Hey @Arpy would like to hear your feedback on this player.  I'm considering buying it myself and ditching iTunes all together LOL

At $178 I'm definitely considering it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765ZVM6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanks!

Yes, forgot about this thread! I'll try and post my thoughts tomorrow.