Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I must admit; from a purely aesthetic point of view, I'd rather have an LP12.

They always look different:

Z4edRO7.jpg

5043173_l.jpg

Ultimately, it's all about this:

_MG_6810.jpg

Those are the ones used by BBC Radio and so people will kill for it.

I've got new cheap Sony earbuds.

By themselves, they sound tinny, lacking in depth and richness.

But, a little settings tweaks on my laptop, and things are much better.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:37 AM, ATXHusker said:

Hey @Arpy would like to hear your feedback on this player.  I'm considering buying it myself and ditching iTunes all together LOL

At $178 I'm definitely considering it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765ZVM6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanks!

Sorry, I had other things going and forgot to write something up.

Pros:

• As far as sound quality goes - it's great, it can play back hi-res audio files, although this is going to change depending on the quality of the music and the type of headphones you use! Everything sounds vibrant and clear.
  • The interface is fine, easy to navigate and is really simple in its layout of all the folders and settings. It's all touch screen, save for the playback buttons running along the side that are a fixture of the Walkman brand.
  • Array of audio adjustment features - Haven't played around with these too much, but when I have, it's made a noticeable improvement to the audio.Some of these features include adjusting the equalization, upscaling mp3 quality to higher res, virtual surround sound features.
  • Portable - (well, duh!) 
  • Volume settings

Cons:

• Sony Music Center: It's not terrible, but it is a hassle when all you want to do is drag and drop files in and be done with it, with this PC app acting like an intermediary much like iTunes. Yeah, you have to connect to this Center in order to transfer files and the results so far have been mixed. Occasionally it can't handle large file transfers (although I haven't need to transfer quite as much as I did when I got it!) and bugs out, meaning it transferred some of the files or none at all! Also, it has a hard time with cover art, as with the device, if it isn't a certain file type.
  • No case - Sony don't have their own brand case for this Walkman meaning you have to buy one on the marketplace. Not too bad, but the walkman itself is so small that you wouldn't want to risk dropping it, so it's essential!

Mehs: Battery life is alright, sometimes I've been surprised by how quickly it drains, but proper management and care of listening duration can solve that.

3 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I've got new cheap Sony earbuds.

By themselves, they sound tinny, lacking in depth and richness.

But, a little settings tweaks on my laptop, and things are much better.

I've also got that, for my phone. What equalizer settings did you use?

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've also got that, for my phone. What equalizer settings did you use?

My sound driver does not have those stuff, but there is a Windows Sonic for Headphones spatial mode that I found.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

They look nice. I used to have a pair of 601s, which were, basically, the top third of those, with a small bass port. They were good.

And the midrange and the bass are bulletproof! Sometimes during moving and such it would have been practical to have some smaller speakers, but still, they would have to stand on something when in use, so I guess it wouldn't save much space anyway.

My $8 Sony earbuds are still going strong after 6 months. I even bought backups in anticipation of a short, but alas, they still work perfectly. They actually stay in my ears and they sound as good if not better than higher end Sennheiser and Grados. Nice work, Sony!

shopping.jpeg

I just bought the legendary Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Great mids and highs but bass is somewhat lacking. I probably need a headphone amp to get the most out of it.

$_84.JPG

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So a disappointment?

Not really but I'll test it with a headphone amp before I give my final judgement. Bass is better on my cheaper Denon speaker amplifier but the mids and highs are better on my expensive Pioneer speaker amp. These high impedance headphones are picky, you know.

Yes, no subs. Of course, it's an open-back headphone. Closed-back headphones have always more sub-bass. However, some reviewers talk about deep bass, others say not to expect a lot of bass because of the open-back system. They sound really impressive on the Pioneer A9 but I feel the bass could have done with 2 or 3 dB more. Again, bass is more pronounced on the Denon (a brand famous for warm its sound) so it's probably just a matter of buying the right headphone amp.