Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

After living with my B&W CDM 7NT plus CDM center, and older B&W Matrix 1 as surround speakers for many years I finally bought a new set of loudspeakers this spring after extensive searching and listening. After owning them now for more than 8 months, I can say: My 25 year long quest for an authentic reproduction of live musicians in my living room has come to an end. I bought a set of Ohm Walsh speakers and am more than happy: 2x2000 for the mains, 1 Microwalsh Center and 2 Microwalsh Surrounds. These speakers do need a lot of burn-in time (I could directly compare new versus older speakers of the identical model, the latter sounded much better!), but then they really do the trick of vanishing and projecting a realistic aural picture of the recording venue. In comparison conventional speakers like my B&W, while good speakers with precise imaging, give only a pale, rather 2-dimensional imitation. With the Ohm you really believe to "see" the instruments in the recording room. I cannot recommend them enough! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this should not be the only reason to buy a speaker, but some physical limits in small speakers are difficult to overcome, so size helps. Here a picture of the Ohm Walsh 2000 which I really can´t recommend enough for their "live" character. On the right the cover is removed to show the omnidirectional driver unit. 

iu.png

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hmm, yeah. This Ohm Walsh speaker pictured above, has a frequency response of 40 to 20,000. Is that low enough? Some speakers go as far down as 25.

Do you always judge speakers on their technical specifications?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hmm, yeah. This Ohm Walsh speaker pictured above, has a frequency response of 40 to 20,000. Is that low enough? Some speakers go as far down as 25.

I just looked it up: Frequence response is 32 Hz to 20000. That is lower than the lowest tone (E) of the contrabass. And below that there is by no means a steep falloff. Room tends to enhance those low frequencies, too. I have room acoustics correction in my Anthem receiver which measures frequency response in room first before correcting. It is more or less linear down to 20 Hz in my room. 

Most music sounds perfect with only those speakers, including John Williams. For extremely low organ I sometimes add the SVS subwoofer that I have running for the Home Theater configuration, for more room shaking fun. But the bass of the Ohm is really sufficient on its own, full and present. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Grill needs to be bigger on those! Can they bi-amp?

No. Would be useless with one driver for all frequencies. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's the first thing to consider.

I agree, but it is only a starting point. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's the first thing to consider.

It's a fool's approach because it doesn't say anything about quality or whether you like the sound or not.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Do you always judge speakers on their technical specifications?

Not always, but I find it a good first indication of their performance.

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Frequence response is 32 Hz...

I must have researched the wrong speakers.

Apologies, etc.

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not always ...

So sometimes you will trust your ears over the specs? It seems to me many people buy speakers as if it's a computer or a smartphone. Numbers on a sheet mean nothing in audio. I understand that 'features' are an important factor but 'specs' don't tell you anything about the sound, the imaging, the character, overall quality, etc. 

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What do you have, Alex?

My main speakers are Dynaudio C1 (first edition). Don't know the specs, never cared for that.

8 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Then how does Tannoy do it?

images - 2020-01-28T121629.853.jpeg

No idea. I mean, the idea behind bi-amping is to have separate amplifiers for tweeter and lower frequencies, right? So how would you do that here?

Recently, I got myself AKG's K702 Reference headphones (well, those were actually a belated birthday present from my wife :wub:) and a FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp. The resulting combination is magical, after 10+ years of using K272HD, I'm again hearing things I've never heard before. :music: With all film music, classical and jazz stuff in my collection it's mostly like REALLY listening to (and hearing things) for the first time. I'm in love! :heart::D Definitely recommending either of those two to anybody who might be interested.

K702-large.jpg

FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier (Black)