Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

On 1/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'll never buy a pair of loudspeakers without listening to them several times, and in multiple setups, and not before all the equipment has warmed up.

I agree except for the multiple setups because I would buy them for exactly one setup, mine. 

With the Ohm speakers I could test them at home for several weeks which was a luxury not always possible. This testing convinced me (after listening to many other speakers in other venues) that those are the best choice for me in the category below 10000 Euro. The technical data were at the beginning a helpful information to decide which series of Ohm (1000, 2000 etc) are best for me, since they mostly differ in bass extension and volume, not in sound character.

4 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I agree except for the multiple setups because I would buy them for exactly one setup, mine. 

I meant "partnered by different hi-fi equipment".

It's nice that you can try the speakers at home, with your room's individual dynamics.

Alright this device is amazing! Although it took some fiddling around to get the Play-Fi talking to my modem. It has internet radio, so I'm listening to Fox News Radio. And it can cast music from my phone! Oh and the DAB radio stations sound great.

20200203_181011.jpg

The beauty of having a decent DAC is that you no longer have to buy expensive CD players. You just get a cheap CD or an old DVD player which has a digital output, connect it to the DAC, and it will sound just as good as a fancy CD player.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on a local auction site. Man is selling his speakers and this is the photo showing them. 

$_86.jpeg

Yes, it's cute, but I would be a little bit worried.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Alexcremers, what make, are those speakers?

Tannoy.

I came across this clip yesterday. 

Despite it being an iPhone recording, you know they just sound incredible. Only $27.000 a pair!

:lol: Ha-ha-ha! Remember how, in the 90s, everything was "THX certified this", and "THX certified that", and "it's just like being in a cinema", and how, with just five speakers, all the size of a shoe box, and a sub, you replicate the sound of a 1000 seat movie theater, in you own fucking front room?! :lol:

I must confess that I never owned anything THX.

So my new amp for downstairs arrived today. Need to unpack it so it can replace my trusty Denon 510AE. I was perfectly happy with that Denon but wanted an amp with a subwoofer output. 

yamaha_a-s501-back.jpg

All my Rotel power amps are THX certified.

On another note, are speakers better when they're low efficiency or high efficiency? I suppose less sensitive speakers are less likely to pick up noise/imperfections in the amplifier?

So yeah, my new Yamaha sounds good, I suppose, but so did my Denon. That's the thing with amps, unlike with a new pair of speakers, the difference isn't all that clear. At least, with the Yamaha having a built-in DAC and a subwoofer out, I'm more up-to-date now. Have to try the amplifier in my living room with my Dynaudio speakers.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Alexcremers

Alex, the Yamaha has now had a chance to run in, and warm up. How is it?

I don't think I'm there yet. But it already sounded good out of the box. A few months ago, I bought a pair of vintage audiophile speakers on the internet. I wasn't familiar with the brand (Castle Acoustics) but they were only 70 Euro and I thought "why not"? Turns out I really love them but you need good recordings for them to sound good. They do lack sub bass and so my plan is to add a subwoofer to that system. For that I needed to replace my Denon. Now I only have to stumble upon a decent subwoofer (preferably for music). 

CX5KNdBWEAEyEcV.png

I'm hoping to find this one for an interesting price. I like that it looks like a speaker and not a cube designed to shake the room. 

That's a sub? It doesn't look like a sub.

@Alexcremers

Alex, what's the hi-fi store situation, where you live? Do you manage to get to any hi-fi shows?

A long time ago, I was looking to upgrade my speakers. I listened to some Castles. They had a presence, but, like you said, no bass (I listened to CONSTANT CRAVING as a test piece). I eventually went with a pair of KEF Coda 6s, but they developed a fault, so I swapped them for some B&W 601s.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Alex, what's the hi-fi store situation, where you live? Do you manage to get to any hi-fi shows?

- Only two Hi-Fi stores left in Antwerp city, but they are not the kind of stores you can freely roam around, so I don't bother with them.

- No more Hi-Fi shows around here. I used to love those but Hi-Fi is kinda dead in Belgium (everything is internet now).

- I once had bookshelves by B&W but I sold them again because the mids were too silky sounding. I like a more neutral presentation. Mids is where everything happens.

h78woxhocjyq6viftu8x.jpg

These were the B&W speakers I had. Yes, they were bullet proof.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, the B&Ws are a smooth listen, but not terribly transparent, or expressive.

I know it's a long way, but if you can get over, the Bristol Hi-Fi Show, is world-renowned. It's the UK show the dealers like the best.

He'll just spread the corona and infect the whole island.

To see what it's made of, I hooked up the Yamaha A-S501 with my high-end Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers, and it sounded very, very good. Not at first though ... I first connected my CD player to the built-in DAC of the Yamaha and it sounded rather 'okay'. Things really changed when I listened to the same CD via my NAD DAC. It sounded much fuller and with more body. I thought it wouldn't make that much of a difference, butt the cheap built-in DAC of the A-S501 is not the way to go. 

yamaha-a-s501.35043352.jpg

• 5 weeks later...