Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's the sound quality like?

I will let you know when I get to open it at Xmas! 

It’s not meant to be some super audiophile approved speaker mind but I’ve no interest in spending a small fortune on that sort of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the cinch connections of the Yamaha amp. The speaker terminals also look very reassuring. 

I see that you even invested in an audiophile power cable but isn't that like a myth?

You mean the XLR cables? They're not that expensive at JayCar Electronics (Aussie equivalent to Radio Shack). I figured my gear has the terminals so might as well use them.

Edit: oh you meant the power cable! Sorry. Yeah, the seller threw that in for free.

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

He has become a stereo snob like me.

I have separate systems. A home theatre 7.1 set-up for movies and TV shows, and a 2.0 hi-fi for music.

The home theatre one performs great for movies but I found it lacking in the music department. Which is why I bought the Yamaha amp and Krix speakers.

Big feature I love about this amp is it's automatically future-proofed by allowing you to simply use it as a preamp if at some point you want to plug an even more powerful power amp into the rear pre-outs. I have no real need for this yet, but it's nice to know they thought about that.

There's truth to that. Looking at the VU meter, it tends to peak at the 1-10 watt range, and anything above that is welcome headroom. But that first watt has more muscle to it than any other speaker/amp combo I've ever owned.

Anyone else know of an affordable DAC that's good quality? Looking for something with XLR outputs, supports DSD audio and a bunch of good inputs. No dodgy Made in PRC shit. Not wanting a headphone one, just one to plug into a hi-fi system.

Yeah I was sniffing around the Topping ones. Chinese brand unfortunately, but the range seems fairly good. There's one that plays MQA files, but is that even likely to become a thing?

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/topping-d90-mqa-desktop-usb-dac?_pos=1&_sid=b3887490e&_ss=r

On 11/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

$10 says he'll open within 3 days.

Wrong. 

I waited until Christmas morning. It’s really nice. Probably not suited to film music but Oasis sounded good on it last night!

Never heard any of them in the flesh but I know Klipsch is very popular in America. 

$_84.JPG

I like the way these look (Klipsch Heresy IV). 3600 Euro.

So they don't have much depth? It's all upfront, in yer face?

24 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So they don't have much depth? It's all upfront, in yer face?

I've only heard their home theatre ones that are popular with the Dolby Atmos devotees. They tend to have a sensitivity rating of like 100db, so they're meant for large rooms so they can project dialogue, effects and music simultaneously across a wider stage. A true Hi-Fi set-up should be closer to the listener, for greater intimacy with the music – for that to work ideally, normally "low efficiency" speakers are recommended, round about the 85-90db rating. Those will really pop, and can conceal ambient amplifier noise too.

On paper, yes (I believe it means it takes only 1 watt to achieve 100db, and low efficiency speakers take 1 watt to achieve 85db or however they're rated), but I find the highly efficient ones tend to sound obnoxious in a smaller space.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, The Big Man said:

Anyone else know of an affordable DAC that's good quality? Looking for something with XLR outputs, supports DSD audio and a bunch of good inputs. No dodgy Made in PRC shit. Not wanting a headphone one, just one to plug into a hi-fi system.

This might be what you are looking for. You can buy one used for 400 Euro.

71vAvPDExtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dz0xMDI1Jmg9NTI3_src_59863-pioneer-u05-a

Wow! Is that written in some trade publication?

I've mostly spent the lockdown time all by myself with my stereo. I can't use headphones anymore, so this is all I've got now for musical comfort really. Only problem is you learn very quickly which recordings and masters aren't "hi-fi friendly", and what might have sounded fine on your telephone loudspeaker is revealed by your bigger, beefier gear to have been mastered by a bunch of deaf bastards. And consequently your musical taste palette begins to shift and evolve as you search for music that doesn't continuously clip into the red. Whoever thought that sounded good needs their ears scooped out!

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It turns out that 2020 was a top year for the Hi-Fi industry. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, people sat at home and bought audio gear to entertain themselves. 

Are you implying that the COVID-19 virus was created by the Chinese audio manufacturers?

17 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Wow! Is that written in some trade publication?

I watch a lot of Hi-Fi channels on Youtube and apparently it's what all the dealers are saying. It makes sense. Now that people have to sit at home, music on-the-go (iPhone) isn't so hot anymore.  Perhaps also interesting to know is that the biggest competition for the Hi-Fi brands is ... vintage Hi-Fi! They have to compete with their old gear that people today have a keen interest in.

Probably helps that you can find a lot of that older gear second hand.

People's main problem though is finding transport devices and decent DACs. The former depends on where your music is coming from, and the latter can be pricey.

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hipsters don't need DACs.

Hipsters don't need check shirts, or rolled up jeans, or bicycles, or roll-your-own cigarettes, or vinyl record cases, or odd fucking socks, or half-fat soy lattes, or flats off the Portobello Road, or Karl Marx, or existentialism, but they've got all of them. That's why they're called fucking hipsters.