Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hipsters don't need check shirts, or rolled up jeans, or bicycles, or roll-your-own cigarettes, or vinyl record cases, or odd fucking socks, or half-fat soy lattes, or flats off the Portobello Road, or Karl Marx, or existentialism, but they've got all of them. That's why they're called fucking hipsters.

They don't want DACs.

I’m lucky enough to have a pretty good 2.0 system and a decent 5.1 system (though the main speakers do double duty with a change of speaker cable):

2.0: Naim CDX2, NAC202, NAP200 into B&W 804S.

5.1: Sony UBP-X800M2 disc player into STR-DA2400ES to B&W 804S/HTM4S/DM600s3/ASW675

In full flow with the volume up nice and loud, each system makes me grin like a happy fool.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Treated myself to a new pair of headphones which were delivered today. I've gone for the Sennheiser HD-560S and really really impressed so far! They're described as "reference grade for analytical listening sessions" on the box and reviews seem to agree with that. Not finding them at all "harsh" though. Very pleasant to listen to while still being highly resolving, pulling out all the detail from recordings. Instruments sound amazing, as do vocals.

Listening to Jaws now and enjoying a lovely balanced, neutral sound with detailed and well controlled bass when called for and a wide soundstage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 11:20 PM, Alan said:

Listening to Jaws now and enjoying a lovely balanced, neutral sound with detailed and well controlled bass when called for and a wide soundstage.

I hear you, bro (no pun intended!)

For those who have it (I include A/V equipment among "hi fi"), which do you prefer to watch Blu Rays in Dolby Atmos, or DTS-X?

I don't have an Atmos setup and none of my coworkers into that kind of stuff have one either.  Everyone seems fine with 5.1

Looks like I'm falling down a bit of a beginners audiophile rabbit hole. Not content with the new headphones I decided to get a headphone amp/DAC and went with the iFi Zen DAC :music:

10 hours ago, Alan said:

Not content with the new headphones 

I thought you were very impressed with them?

The Fiio K5PRO will be my next headphone amp/DAC:

2313529.png

w4em0xmxfcd31.png

It's constantly sold out in Europe.

They are 120 ohm which isn't too hard to drive but they will definitely give a better performance with a decent headphone amp. My HD600s are 300 ohm and the difference with or without an headphone amp is night and day. 

Can't speak for Alan, but I don't walk around with headphones. I'm talking about headphones in a hi-fi setup. You need portable amps if you want to be mobile, not the ones posted above.

Then a speaker amp would be better because most hi-fi headphones amps don't have EQ. The problem with speaker amps is that their headphone output is very basic (meant for 32-64 ohm headphones), they don't have enough voltage to properly drive high impedance headphones.

This Yamaha does have a dedicated headphone amp and you can adjust the power according to the headphones you have. bowdown

F2D8582BA6194264B688791D6B6D94AD_12073_4

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

Oh I definitely was/am! Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just wanted to build up my desktop system more :)

On 2/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, AC1 said:

The Fiio K5PRO will be my next headphone amp/DAC:

2313529.png

w4em0xmxfcd31.png

It's constantly sold out in Europe.

It's mine! Mine!

(ordered it Saturday an it arrived today)

Dolby Atmos? Nah! Everything is going retro, even the speaker design of the '60s and '70s is making a serious comeback. 

See here the latest models of Wharfedale:

5wharfedale-denton85-espana.jpg

Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary (and yes, with real wood veneer)

wharfedale-high-end-leak-stereo-130-cdt-

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary. The stands of these speakers are made in such way that they can store some vinyl too.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well done, you! What do they sound like?

They have not arrived yet. Maybe tomorrow. It's a BBC monitor so it should sound pretty neutral. I expect audiophile recordings to sound amazing but poor recordings will show their weaknesses (and that sadly includes a lot of '70s music).

Watch this review! 

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Turns out the guy doesn't want sell his speakers anymore because he himself didn't get the speakers he wanted to buy. 

1-DSC03964_380x380.JPG

Goodbye, Harbeth SHL5 Plus, it was nice NOT knowing you.

I've heard that they're rubbish, anyways. You're better with a nice pair of Jamos, or something from LG. If you still want something retro, try Amstrad.