Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

I agree! It just works as a decorative object, while a CD player is nothing more than another black box.

And what about the tape? I haven't heard anyone utter the word 'Maxell' for the longest of time.

16 hours ago, AC1 said:

I started with BASF, then TDK, then ended with Maxell. Never had Memorex, the name didn't do it for me.

Did you use the SA, and MA tapes, by TDK? I always thought that they sounded better without Dolby NR.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

For those who don't want to come across as feminine ...

manley-snapper-effektforsterker-par.jpg

The Manley Snapper monoblock amplifier (yes, you need two of them).

That is cool with a capital Coo!

Yes, Alex, I know you need two of them. That's why they're called "monoblock" :lol:

I went to listen to the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers and ordered them! Very articulate, controlled bass and good mids. The treble is probably the least refined and is therefore more reminiscent of speakers of the '70s. But I really liked what I heard. I compared them with one of the most popular and celebrated speakers of the last decade (KEF LS50) and I preferred the Lintons hands down. The KEF LS50 speakers are surprising small and that's how they sound: small with a small soundstage. The Lintons will be able to fill the room. They can also play loud without being fatiguing. 

20190522204418_2019-05-22_Wharfedale_Lin

Remember when shops had items in stock? Sigh, those were the days ... Now I have to wait at least a week.

I also ordered the optional matching stands (so I can store my vinyl in there). ;)

Don't Kill The Woofers: sounds like a song :lol:.

I'm sure your woofers can handle it.

When I first started my hi-fi odyssey, I owned a pair of Wharfedale Sheltons. I liked them. I've also owned a pair of KEF Coda 7s. I didn't like them, and I quickly traded them for a pair of B&W 601s, which, twenty five years later, are still going strong.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not sure I believe you. WRITING'S ON THE WALL ring any bells?

Is he the guy with that terrible falsetto voice? Yuck! 

For their review, 'What Hi-Fi' listened to John Williams on the Linton speakers:

What Hi-Fi:

The moment we start our listening, we get a brilliant sense of scale and space from the Lintons and so we head straight for an orchestral recording to see what they can do. We play John Williams’s The Raiders March – the main theme from the Indiana Jones films – and get a thrilling sense of these speakers’ dynamics.

Starting quiet but firm with the plucky horn section, the piece when played through the Lintons offers a brilliant range of texture and ability as it builds. Striking up just to the side, the trumpets sound just as heroic as the archeological adventurer, while the string section launches in front. Underneath it all, the enormous hits on the kettle drums are reproduced with consummate ease by these big standmounters. 

It’s such a fantastically open presentation of the music that our listening space feels bigger than it is. Every instrument is there to be heard in the soundstage. The harp strums float over the top, the timpani chimes in perfectly from the back left, the cymbal clashes and the tubular bells ring so true that we can almost picture the instruments. It’s quite joyous and, arguably, a demonstration of these speakers at their very best.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/wharfedale-linton

On 3/12/2021 at 3:13 AM, AC1 said:

Wow! People are bidding like crazy on a Pioneer cassette deck at catawiki. Right now highest bid is 810 Euro and there is still two days to go. 

2b4a2cdb-5fd6-406f-868d-4e0d11f26012.jpg

Cassettes are the new vinyl!

It will still break down in two years😞

On 3/6/2021 at 2:33 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

That is cool with a capital Coo!

Yes, Alex, I know you need two of them. That's why they're called "monoblock" :lol:

Looks like one of those set models used on THE STARLOST.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

It will still break down in two years😞

In my experience, models with less electronics usually don't break down as easy, but this one is scary.

In my experience cassette desks are the hifi equipment most consistently prone to breakdown. My own and my dad's died all after about 10-20 years (Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer). There are a lot of mechanical things that can break.

10 to 20 years is bad?! By that time I would already have replaced it with the latest and greatest model. Really, back in the day, I don't think I ever had a deck that failed on me. I can't say the same about silver disc spinners (CD / DVD / Blu-ray).