Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Mine is an MM. Isnt MC used in more higher end players?

Quite right, Steef. They offer better "top end", and transparency.

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Anyone else use an MM cartridge?

What's the make of your cartridge, Jerry?

8 minutes ago, dougie said:

I had a carbon brush somewhere. I need to find it. I've read they can leave micro abrasions on your discs but I've never experienced any audible damage from using them.

You probably need to replace them every other year, just like those rubber bulb air blowers photographers use to keep their lenses and sensors clean.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I use a velvet one. Do you know if there's any advantage to using the kind you have?

No idea! I've never been an expert in cleaning vinyl.

I'm starting to think my system is too revealing. I was listening to TFA on CD and there were funny little kinks here and there that were distracting. I thought there was something wrong with my system! So I put on Elfman's Dick Tracy OST, one of my reference discs, and everything was perfect as expected. Do they let weird shit into these newer releases like odd cracks, occasional clipping, and other anomalies because they know people will just listen on crappy laptop speakers and all those deficiencies will be concealed anyway.

I don't have that CD so I can't judge it, but any serious hi-fi system will be more revealing than crappy plastic laptop speakers and low res spotify.

I acquired the Rotel RB-1080 two-channel power amp last year but never got to listen to it much because of my accident. Sounds great this amp, but I've noticed that on certain midrange tones, it applies a distinct level of courseness to the sound. Audiophiles refer to this as "grain", which to me sounds like the audio equivalent to the dithering you'd see close-up on a plasma TV. From what I've read, a lot of power amps are prone to this, especially Rotels. I don't mind it really.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, Richard said:

Have you solved this particular conundrum, Alan?

Pointing straight out will, I find, give you better separation, but placing them at an angle, so that they "look" at you, will offer a more "enveloping" sound. Experiment.

Ps, banana plugs offer a better connection, and better conductivity.

Sorry for the late reply! I've not been well recently so I've not had much motivation to experiment. They're still pointing straight out and tbh, I've been very happy with how they sound so far. I'm probably going to take the plunge on some dedicated speaker stands soon. Will make it easier for me to place them the suggested distance from the wall and play with the angle more easily.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How close do they need to be to the wall?

Ideally, if the speakers have a bass reflex on the rear side, then you need to place them 100cm away from the wall, otherwise the bass will be affected. Of course, most people don't have the room for that.

I take it, Jerry, that the bottom picture is a rear speaker?

Some loudspeakers are designed to fire off of a wall, and should placed as close as possible to a wall, for that purpose.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I prefer to say "ports".

I bet you prefer the term "artificial person", as well?