Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

Music on the go is an unnecessary indulgence for me. After a long commute, the feeling of listening to it at home on my hi-fi is that much more satisfying.

I would say the smart phones are the unnecessary indulgence for me, music and otherwise.

I prefer to listen to my music in the privacy of my home mostly on my stereo (or through headphones) but also like to take a quiet stroll and enjoy an album or two while I am at it. Doesn't diminish the music one whit, in fact sometimes allows me to focus on it all the better.

I only use headphones for music.

I use my 5.1 system for TV, movies and videogames

Actually I only use headphones/earphones when I can't listen to music on speakers.

Otherwise, I watch little television/movies and play no videogarmes at all.

It's what makes commuting bearable!

Being able to snooze and hear the purring of the train is enough.

It's like Alex said, listening to music too much can make you immune to it. You have music playing so much, that the mere act of sitting down to listen to music and immerse yourself in it when you're with your stereo ceases to be something special.

Music should be appreciated and absorbed with your undivided attention in a comfortable setting, not background wallpaper for your daily routines.

I agree. I don't like that music has become omnipresent (TV, movies, radio, streets, shops, the forest, ..)

It's sickening isn't it?

There are times when ceaseless commercials with unbearable jingles based on the dreaded four chords make me feel nauseated and repulsed, yes. Seriously, must everything have music now?

This MB doesn't have music, unless you bring it with yourself.

Speaking of that we should have a nice JW composed jingle playing on a loop here.

I prefer when commercials use classical music. I'm sure Beethoven would have been proud to know his music is being used to sell toilet paper.

That's particularly unbearable. Or to promote the latest laugh-out-loud comedy - look mom, Beethoven's playing, it must be hilarious!

• 1 year later...

I used to listen to music on my walks. Then one day I stopped.

I now enjoy my walks more. And I enjoy my music more as well. 

There really is such a thing as too much music in the iPod headphone age.

It's not my fault! It's just that no one was interested in doing this, so I ended up recording myself talking to myself. I never released that recording, though. I'll see if a label would be interested in releasing a collector edition of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My main 7.1 system is basically:

1. Denon AVR 3311  7.1 (Supports 3D)

2. KEF Main Speakers Q series.

3. 2 Jamo Speakers acting as Surrounds & 2 Satellite Rears

4. BDP-1611 (Blu ray/DVD/SACD/CD/DVD -A player)

5. 41' Samsung 3D TV

6. PS3 (Slim)

7.PS4 (Slim)

Headphone Gear: 

1. Monster Turbine Copper plated-In ear Headphones gear set.

2. Sony PS3 Pulse Elite 7.1 Wireless set.

3. Ipod Classic Touch 32GB

I just bought KEF Q100's for my main speakers in my 5.1  setup. It's a small room  i don't need bigger. I should get them Thursday. I got them cheap for 350$cdn  for the pair (about 275 USD) and regular price is about 650$. They seem to only have great reviews

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Q100-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers-Black/dp/B0047K3X1M

My center and rear speakers are Energy V-minis and I really like them. I also have a Energy 8 inch sub and I really like it because it's not boomy at all and complements the music well

I disagree.

All TV broadcasts and videogames are in 5.1 and I wouldn't revert to stereo

I listen to most of my music on my Grado headphones , so my 5..1 system is for everything except music basically

Hmm, these KEF Q100's are really good. Trying them out now. They actually meet my critical listening standards  for orchestral music

Detail is incredible, at least compared to the Polk RTI4's I had before

i had to take out my PS3 out of the closet to play c.d.'s . The PS4 doesn't play them..which is really shitty if you ask me.

• 11 months later...

Somebody in my neighbourhood is selling this vintage CD player. I know it looks like a cash register but I think it looks funky. There's one problem.He wants 575 Euro. 

965_vintage-audio-laser_technics_slp1200

9.2 sounds like the biggest rip-off. Most people's homes barely have room for 5.1, let alone 11 friggin speakers. And some of the flagship AV receivers support 11.2 -- do any movies actually carry that number of channels in their soundtracks?

What's been a frustrating experience shopping for an AV receiver is that there are no high-end, high quality 5.1 receivers available. If you want more power per channel and all the latest and relevant software support (like 4K and DSD audio), you need at least one of the 7.2 channel boxes.

I remember how much of a big deal it was when they rolled out 6.1 with Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS-ES. But then Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD came out and it seemed we'd hit peak audio, since it was all lossless. But Atmos? No.

47 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm not a 5.1 expert but your subwoofer is powered so that's why you need to connect it (low level in) into the 'subwoofer out' of the pre-amp section. Otherwise you'll blow up your Yamaha!

Ah, thanks! But which input, the red or the white? The sub pre-out on the receiver only has one output.

And I don't need to worry about the high level in/out?

You can connect two subwoofers on 1 and 2. What type of connection is it (it's unclear on photo)? Mini-jack 3.5mm or cinch?

Yes, in the case of your powered subwoofer, don't worry about high level.

My only experience with subwoofers is an Aiwa mini-system from the 1990s, which was Dolby Pro-Logic and had a powered subwoofer that was directly connected with clear labels. These newer ones seem to be more opaque in their connection labels. And then I have 'crossover' to think about...

Hey, just asking. If you have a set of speakers rated at 6 ohms, but want to add two more speakers rated at 8 ohms (all from the same brand), is that harmful for the receiver? Or is it okay and you can adjust the impedance rating within the receiver settings?

A brand called Parasound has a great looking 7.1 preamp called the Halo P7. It has two multi-channel inputs, so you can plug an AV receiver into it from the pre-outs. And I can plug my SACD player into it from its 5.1 multi-channel output. And then you plug this sucker into a 7.1 power amp, and you're all set. This might be the device I've been looking for, so I'll need to start saving.